Corner Kick Poll

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by MeridianFC, Oct 21, 2003.

1. MeridianFC

MeridianFC Member

Jul 26, 1999
    Washington, DC USA
    What are the chances that United will score a corner kick this season (i.e. the next game)?
    I think we're at around 169.

2. carolinab

carolinab Member+

Aug 21, 2000
    D.C.
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Bermuda
    Seriously man, hook me up.

3. monster

monster Member

Oct 19, 1999
    Hanover, PA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was very disappointed they didn't take my suggestion and just start giving them a free kick instead.

4. isaac101

isaac101 New Member

Mar 1, 2001
    Bethesda, MD
    Just to give an update on the numbers.

This season (2003), DC United has attempted 169 corner kicks in league play. That still leads MLS in corner kicks....LA is second with 167.

Combining the 2002 and 2003 seasons, DC United has attempted 354 corner kicks (which leads MLS) and has scored twice during that time. That's a success rate of 0.56%, or one goal every 177 attempts.

Can't remember off the top of my head, but I remember crunching the numbers and finding that the average MLS team last year scored on between 3 to 5 percent of their corner kick attempts.

So, I don't really think that we'll score on a corner against KC. Or possibly ever again.....

5. shawn12011

shawn12011 Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Reisterstown, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Zippo, nadda, zilch, no chance in heck!!!!!

6. sckrmom

sckrmom New Member

Jul 17, 2003
    Gainesville, VA
    maybe they could save valuable time wasted with us taking the kick and just give the ball to the keeper for a goal kick to get the game restarted:)

Seriously, maybe he'd kick the ball all the way to our forwards and they could run back down the field and score. we have a better chance of that happening than say, an ice's cube chance in he!!

7. eltico

eltico Member

Jul 16, 2000
    We should let Stokes play, ignore any defensive miscues, ignore any ill-timed passes, and tell him just to get his head on a damn corner.

Or have Chino do it. Either one.

8. sckrmom

sckrmom New Member

Jul 17, 2003
    Gainesville, VA
    Chino is what, like 2 feet tall? Have you seen Stokes actually score off his head or is it just his height you're looking at?

9. MeridianFC

MeridianFC Member

Jul 26, 1999
    Washington, DC USA
    No, he meant put Chino on Stokes' shoulders.

10. eltico

eltico Member

Jul 16, 2000
    Have you ever seen Chino jump? Sky's the limit there.

Sigh.

All sarcasm.:)

11. revelation

revelation Member+

Dec 17, 1998
    FC St. Pauli
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    I'm starting to think that we might just get one from a corner, if only for the irony factor... ;)

12. monster

monster Member

Oct 19, 1999
    Hanover, PA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Down 2-0 in second half stoppage time on Saturday, perhaps? :eek:

13. odg78

odg78 Member

Feb 14, 2001
    North Carolina
    Whoever takes the corner should just try to steer it into the upper corner of the goal himself. It wouldn't be any worse than what's happening now. Seriously.

Or else, everyone in the box should just run in with their hands up. Making we'll get some "hand of god" type luck. Or pity, from the refs.

14. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    Giving up the corner kick and allowing the other team to take a goal kick instead wouldn't be any worse than what's happening now either.

:(

15. Sanguine

Sanguine Member

Jul 4, 2003
    Reston, VA
    mmmm drugs

16. fatbastard

fatbastard Member+

Aug 1, 2003
    Lincoln (ish), Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am seriously hoping they DO NOT score on a corner Saturday. Hell, we made it this far, we can set a record, being the only team (probably ever, in any league) to NOT score a corner all season. To hold the season record for the most corners too is just gravy.
    I'll take our first goal off a corner (by Chino or even Perea) to win the Cup in the 86th minute ;)
    So, pass the pipe, I need a hit :)