Corey Gibbs

Discussion in 'New York Red Bulls' started by djdustmite, Jan 24, 2006.

1. djdustmite

djdustmite New Member

Aug 13, 2003
    NJ
    Yes, I'm well aware of our need for a striker or two but...

Corey Gibbs was just released by Feyenoord. I'd love to see this kid Anchor our back-line. Yeah, yeah... " But Taylor Graham..." Unknown quantity in my book.

I think he's destined to end up playing in Europe again (Gibbs that is) but if he wants to make the WCup roster he needs to PLAY NOW. So perhaps there is a conversation to be had?

2. Metrogo

Metrogo Member

Apr 6, 1999
    Washington Hghts NY
    You do realize you're on the MEtrostars board, right?

3. CRSvideo

CRSvideo Member

Jul 24, 1999
    New York, NY
    If he's released, would he require an alocation? He's a quality defender (or at least was, I haven't seen him play with Feyenoord). Would be a good pick up, though I agree that our biggest need right now is at forward (really we have needs all over though).

4. djdustmite

djdustmite New Member

Aug 13, 2003
    NJ
    Well aware thanks. You have a problem that I'd be interested in an excellent Nats team Quality centerback for the Metrostars?

5. Metrogo

Metrogo Member

Apr 6, 1999
    Washington Hghts NY
    No, but I do have a problem using a spot on the starting 11 of the metrostars for a purpose other than helping them win games. You feel differently, you think we should hire him because he needs WC games now.

6. djdustmite

djdustmite New Member

Aug 13, 2003
    NJ
    No. I think making a deal becomes easier when considering that fact. Gibbs; a kid with signigicant international experience vs. Graham with A league experience. I'll take Gibbs.

7. Metrogo

Metrogo Member

Apr 6, 1999
    Washington Hghts NY
    OK, I get it.

8. djdustmite

djdustmite New Member

Aug 13, 2003
    NJ
    Yeah, thus the "conversation to be had"

9. djdustmite

djdustmite New Member

Aug 13, 2003
    NJ
    So on the list of pie in the sky trades/deals/acquisitions I'm in for getting Gibbs on a free transfer at below market value and a Guevara for DeRosario swap.

10. jlynn61280

jlynn61280 New Member

Dec 17, 2005
    PA
    Let me preface this by saying it will NEVER happen. Gibbs is too smart and too good to come back to MLS. Now for my wet dream...

How awesome would it be to get Gibbs? I mean, Tony Meola is done, so defense is needed BADLY. Imagine this tasty 3-5-2:

Defense: Gibbs - Graham - Wynne
    Midfield: Stammler - Guevara - Djorkaeff - Gaven - Canero
    Forward: Razov - Ibrahim

Stammler and Canero could have the free range to run up and down the flanks. The biggest problem as I see it would be Gaven needing to turn into a true CM/CAM. I don't think the lack of a holding midfielder would hurt at all as Stammler or Canero can slide into defense as needed. This could even allow for the occaisonal Wynne run.

Anyway, back to earth. But the dream was fun. I would buy season tickets tomorrow.

11. Paul Nasta

Paul Nasta Member

Oct 16, 2001
    Long Island
    Does Dallas still own his MLS rights? If so, the Metros would have to swing a deal with Dallas before they could get Gibbs.

I would think Gibbs would want to stay in Europe. I thought he was doing pretty well in Holland before he was hurt. He could maybe catch on now with a smaller team.

12. twelfth man

twelfth man New Member

Nov 13, 2004
    Connecticut
    We just traded for Chris Henderson. Wouldn't he start?

13. jlynn61280

jlynn61280 New Member

Dec 17, 2005
    PA
    In my opinion, Stammler is better suited when you only have 3 in the back. Besides, at his age, he can't play a whole game. It would be nice to have someone half-reliable to come on off the bench.

14. sanariot

sanariot Member

Nov 19, 2001
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Exactly.

Or maybe he'll land on his feet in a better position...

He also has a reputation in Germany...Sprechen sie "Battle Spider", Herr Kommisar? (not directed at you Paul)

Hard to believe that a BL2 team (or a bottom of the table BL1 team) wouldn't at least take a chance on him...unless "Battle Spider" translates into German as "Mike Burns" or something...

Of course that would assume that Germans were capable of sarcasm. :)

15. jason1551

jason1551 Member+

Apr 9, 2003
    Columbus, GA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nope. FCD lost their rights the moment they used the allocation they received for him. On the other hand, you would have to trade for the top allocation (like when LA traded Ruiz to FCD in order to get the allocation for Donovan), which I believe belongs to Chivas. Guevara for the allocation would be a realistic trade, but I would be more concerned with the fact that Gibbs would likely be gone for the WC and may try to jump ship when the next transfer window opens (although I've read that you can only transfer to two teams in one FIFA calender year).

16. carpediem175

carpediem175 New Member

Oct 6, 2003
    Pompton Plains , NJ
    At his age??? Then someone should tell Youri he can't possibly play a full 90. And FYI Gaven is gone and I would expect Buddle to start up top instead of Ibrahim, and I would also expect Henderson to start. Also, as for Stammler, I couldn't say where he would be best suited to play, he only played about 350+ mins. last season, hardly enough time to really find where he fits best on the field.

17. djdustmite

djdustmite New Member

Aug 13, 2003
    NJ
    For the record I was never for the Meola swoop but I can not for the life of me understand all of the vitriol leveled at him on these boards. Did you see ANY of the Chivas match that earned our playoff spot last fall? Hardly the swansong for a keeper who is "done."

OLD does not = DONE

But Gibbs, yes that would be a(n unlikely) coup.

18. j1mbr0wn

j1mbr0wn Member

Jun 3, 2005
    Newark, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hi Seth. :D