Cordeiro steps down

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by Eighteen Alpha, Mar 12, 2020.

1. Eighteen Alpha

Eighteen Alpha Member+

Aug 17, 2016
    Club:
    Stoke City FC
  2. dlokteff

dlokteff Member+

Jan 22, 2002
    San Francisco, CA
    That went well.

3. schrutebuck

schrutebuck Member+

Jul 26, 2007
    This problem is easy to solve.

My assumption is that I think the US Men bring in more money than the US Women. If I'm right, choose #1. If I'm wrong, choose #2.

1. Pay the women exactly half of the pot of money under USSF control.

OR

2. If the women actually bring in more than 50% of the money made by the USSF, then let them keep the extra percentage. If the Federation is corrupt, then isn't the money better spent on the women anyways, so growth in the men's game can be sourced from outside the USSF?

Either way, my view is that women's sports need to be subsidized and protected so that they can continue to grow. And if the US Women want to distribute their 50% or greater to mostly 10-12 star players in their squad, then that's their choice.

4. Sebsasour

Sebsasour Member+

New Mexico United
    May 26, 2012
    Albuquerque NM
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You know you had a real bad PR f*** up when you can't hide behind one of the biggest sports news days in history

5. rgli13

rgli13 Member+

Mar 23, 2005
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    its crazy that something as ridiculous as that statement (in a legal briefing, no less) could happen. i am not remotely a fan of cordeiro but this whole thing is nuts.

if there anything resembling a line of succession or will there just be a new election?

Winoman repped this.
  6. puttputtfc

puttputtfc Member+

Sep 7, 1999
    Cindy Parlow Cone is the acting President.

7. neems

neems Member+

Liverpool FC
    United States
    Apr 14, 2009
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #7 neems, Mar 12, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2020
    Harsh on Carlos but this is his private sector experience and relationship with the women’s team coming back to bite him hard. I have commented several times that if you borrow anything from Fortune 500 companies in the private sector then it has to be risk mitigation.

USSF needs to be a mission based organization. We need this organization to reinvest money in the form of grants. Not player payouts and not silly [expensive] legal arguments based on body chemistry. It’s just a massive slippery slope. The women have a clear history of success and prestige in their contribution to the sport for the United States. The men’s team has come out time and time again in support of equal pay.

Why is this difficult? Force all the players to take a pay cut that is equal and hand out grants in poor or rural areas. Start a world class refereeing and coaching program. Build a national stadium. Do anything but what you have currently been doing USSF. FFS. If the players refuse then it looks FAR worse on them.

Running this non-profit like a for-profit business is literal insanity and the board of governance is a joke. The revenue is for the SPORT, not who brings in the most revenue and not to subsidize/prop-up private leagues or interests. This isn’t rocket science. The players are essentially replaceable and on borrowed time. The women have close to no other option in order to get paid and the men aren’t going to turn down a dream of playing in a World Cup or earning caps to further their compensation by playing in Europe.

There is just so many ways around this that I earnestly don’t feel bad for Carlos or any of the other old boys in Soccer House.

IASocFan, Beau Dure, ipass and 9 others repped this.
  8. rgli13

rgli13 Member+

Mar 23, 2005
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i played indoor one season and her dad was the coach. we would never let her play with us after practice (being 11/12 yos that was due more to cooties than sexism). again, this whole thing is wild.

i dont know if you replying to me asking about the next president, but i had seen this already and was asking how the next, well, non-interim pres is appointed/elected. im low key concerned earnie is somehow going to end up as us soccer emperor by the time the next world cup rolls around...

9. KCbus

KCbus Moderator
    Staff Member

United States
    Nov 26, 2000
    Reynoldsburg, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ain't that the truth.

10. onefineesq

onefineesq Member+

Sep 16, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Jay Berhalter is probably wishing he had held on for juuuuuust a bit longer. (ducks)

Honestly, as an attorney myself, I have ZERO idea how any person at USSF headquarters could have looked at the filing and thought 'yeah, this is perfect ... file this ASAP!' I mean, holy crap, that is beyond horrible. I am thinking we SHOULD have a woman leading USSF at the moment. The men have ********ed the place up beyond belief.

ipass, SteelyTom, Winoman and 5 others repped this.
  11. Eleven Bravo

Eleven Bravo Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 3, 2004
    SC
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #11 Eleven Bravo, Mar 13, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 13, 2020
    I hope we take this opportunity to split the USMNT and USWNT...

That or force the women to compete to make the men’s teams.

sXeWesley and Pegasus repped this.
  12. dougtee

dougtee Member+

Feb 7, 2007
  13. swedust

swedust Member+

Aug 30, 2004
    Not saying he got something he didn't deserve, but hard to see how more disruption and interim leadership is going to make things better.

I guess it could be a wake-up call, but I thought we already had that in 2017....

sXeWesley and largegarlic repped this.
  14. largegarlic

largegarlic Member+

Jul 2, 2007
    Yeah, I've thought for a while they should just give the women half/same as the men regardless of arguments about merit. The extra pay for national team play obviously means a lot to the women, while most of the main players for the men are on pretty big contracts with their clubs and probably aren't sweating the couple extra grand they'd get playing for the national team. And the men support the women on this. What does the Fed win by dragging this out?

jaykoz3, Winoman, Pegasus and 1 other person repped this.
  15. DHC1

DHC1 Member+

Jun 3, 2002
    NYC
    what do we know about her?

google searches don’t say much

16. lmorin

lmorin Member+

Mar 29, 2000
    New Hampshire
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Because the situation is financially a lot more complex that "equal pay'. Too long to detail here; google it.

17. lmorin

lmorin Member+

Mar 29, 2000
    New Hampshire
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Because the situation is financially a lot more complex that "equal pay'. Too long to detail here; google it. To me, one of the central issues is the USSF financial support of the National Women's Soccer League through payment of annual salaries to USWNT players and the extent to which this provides necessary financial security for the league. For example, if the women are paid on a per game basis instead of the current method, would the National Women's Soccer League fold because that missing salary money could not be covered by the various clubs? Or, would the high earners of the national team all go to Europe to play where salaries are [probably; I don't know this for a fact] subsidized by local men's soccer clubs such as ManCity, Lyon, etc.? I would rather the USSF financially support a stable women's league in the US that pays enough to attract players from other countries around the world. Bottom line to me: this case is complicated, each side claiming that this or that sum of money should or should not be counted when considering what is "financial equality" and for that reason, the case needs to be litigated in a real court and not in the court of public opinion.

18. Southern Man

Southern Man Member

Jun 14, 2008
    Or, you know, solved by negotiation behind closed doors.

IASocFan and swedust repped this.
  19. AutoPenalti

AutoPenalti Am I famous yet?

Sep 26, 2011
    Coconut Creek
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What a mess.

20. RefIADad

RefIADad Member+

United States
    Aug 18, 2017
    Des Moines, IA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think you are confusing the roles of the board and management in this case.

Cone and the board are supposed to be in charge of governance. They aren't supposed to be managing the organization. I get that since there is no CEO (and that's a big problem in itself - once again, not a peep from the soccer media holding USSF accountable for the biggest hire in its history), they may have to do more of that. But the board hires one person - the CEO. The CEO will then hire the administrative team with the board approving the executive team hires (and the only reason to deny the CEO's recommendation is for something big like a criminal issue or major ethics issue). In the long run, the chances of Earnie Stewart becoming US Soccer CEO should be pretty remote. He needs to stay on the technical side (I'll leave the discussion of whether he's the right person to lead the sporting/technical side of US Soccer to others).

In a twisted way, I actually think Cone can make a better CEO hire than Cordeiro. She has been such a key figure in US Soccer that she has a good understanding of what the organization needs. Of course, USSF doesn't have to make this a long process. Just go to Mark Tatum (deputy commissioner of the NBA) with a blank check and ask him to fill in the number that it will take for him to run his own organization.

rgli13 repped this.
  21. DHC1

DHC1 Member+

Jun 3, 2002
    NYC
    Has she ever been an executive with management responsibilities?

22. RefIADad

RefIADad Member+

United States
    Aug 18, 2017
    Des Moines, IA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #22 RefIADad, Mar 13, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 13, 2020
    She's NOT supposed to be a manager!

The goal of a governance board is the following.
    • Set the vision of the organization
    • Create and maintain the policies and values the board will follow.
    • Ensure that the organization is in compliance with budgets, ethics, etc.
    • Hire the CEO and hold that person accountable.
    Cindy Cone is not supposed to manage US Soccer. That's why there is an executive team. What confuses people is that Sunil thought he was a manager. He wasn't, and that role is NOT supposed to be a management role.

I'm trying to attach a document that shows the differences between governance and management. If I can figure out BigSoccer's method of adding an image, I'll do that. But the document has 5-6 examples of differences between governance and management related to school districts (board - governance and administration - management). One example:
    • Governance - "Does it have to do with setting general policy on how the district carries out its functions in the best interests of student learning?" (substitute organization for district and development of the game of soccer for student learning)
    • Management - "Does it relate to carrying out the policy of the district in specific situations?" (substitute organization for district)
    Cindy Cone does not need executive or management experience to be US Soccer President (i.e. Board Chair). She and the board hire the CEO to do that.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

23. DHC1

DHC1 Member+

Jun 3, 2002
    NYC
    Is he president of the board (usually named Chairman) or President of the USSF?

24. jond

jond Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Levski Sofia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Carlos was a figurehead.

Go after the entire board if you want change.

25. TrueCrew

TrueCrew Member+

Dec 22, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, you might want to practice your Google skills. Or turn in your US Soccer fan card. Not much of a fan of the women's game?

Cindy Parlow Cone is in the freaking soccer HOF, and deservedly so. 1999 WC champ, 2 time Olympic Gold medalist. 75 goals for the USWNT in 158 caps as a forward/midfielder from 1995-2006.

After playing for the Atlanta Beat, she moved on to coaching, an assistant at UNC and then HC with the Portland Thorns.

That filing by US Soccer should get everyone involved fired. Speed & stregth are not the same thing as skill (as anyone watching Christen Press and Rapinoe this week could see). And the rot has being ongoing at Soccer House for quite some time.

Amen to the idiocy of running a non-prof like a business.

MPNumber9, striker, jaykoz3 and 3 others repped this.