Copa Sudamericana?

Discussion in 'FC Dallas' started by SideshowBob, Jun 10, 2008.

1. SideshowBob

SideshowBob Member

Jan 12, 2007
    Maryland
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    FC Dallas got a mention in this article from Honduras as (I think) a candidate for the non-Mexican spot from CONCACAF for Copa Sudamericana. My Spanish isn't all that great and it sounds like Montagua of Honduras will be participating instead. Does anyone who understands Spanish care to translate? Did FC Dallas turn down an invite?

2. Dr. Foosball™

Dr. Foosball™ New Member

Dec 23, 2006
    Hot Springs, AR
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am not fluent, but it seems that FOX SPorts was wanting FCD to be a part of this tournament since FOX is the channel it is being broadcast on? That might be way off.

Here is the quote for you spanish speakers.

3. Dr. Foosball™

Dr. Foosball™ New Member

Dec 23, 2006
    Hot Springs, AR
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is the first that I have heard Dallas in connection with this tournament anyway. They probably have Dallas confused with Houston or something.

4. SideshowBob

SideshowBob Member

Jan 12, 2007
    Maryland
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It is the first I had heard (which is why I was curious), but it actually makes sense: none of the 4 MLS teams participating in the CONCACAF Champions League in the fall (NE, Chivas, DCU and Houston) would be able to play in Sudamericana since the schedules conflict. Based on the 2007 standings, the next team in overall points besides those four is... Dallas. So, you guys would be a natural choice as a rep from MLS.

5. tornado fan

tornado fan Member

Apr 14, 2006
    Or the exact opposite.

6. theodore

theodore Member

Nov 7, 2003
    I can only dream of the road trip. Maybe they got the idea from #3 on my soccer wet dream list?

7. accion

accion Member

Nov 28, 1998
    dfw, texas
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    I had no idea that we were even in the discussion for the sudamericana, not it would be fund watching us get butchered this year. You would think that if there was any possibility that would be pushing for it, but it's FCD so who knows.

8. crzdcolombian

crzdcolombian Member+

Jul 17, 2006
    Avon,CT
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    it says Dallas had a small shot of making the tournie but Fox sports wanted the honduran team in it instead..... they ended up choosing the hondurian team at the end

the sudamericana is a joke tournie... its sorta like the UEFA cup but worse because the 8 other SA countries send their 3-5th best teams and Argentina, Brasil and MExico send their top 4..... which is so dumb and these 3 countries send usually the same team that playthe Copa Lib which is our CHamps league

Would be nice to see Dallas in this tournie but it would be a very annoying trip from Dallas to Buenos Aires that is prob the big reason the US never going to get an invite to our tournies because NYRBs to Buenos Aires is like a 10-15 hour flight.... not worth it

9. FC Dizzle

FC Dizzle Member

Mar 10, 2006
    Dallas, TX
    who cares if its 10-15 hours. the players would gain alot of experience from these matches. im all for it

10. Dr. Foosball™

Dr. Foosball™ New Member

Dec 23, 2006
    Hot Springs, AR
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am pretty sure DCU has played in this tourny a few times.

11. SideshowBob

SideshowBob Member

Jan 12, 2007
    Maryland
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Teams from CONCACAF has been playing in Sudamericana since 2005. DCU participated in 2005 and 2007 and are the only MLS rep to go to date.

I was really hoping an MLS team would go this year as well. I think the chance to play meaningful games against some good South American sides would be great exposure for the individual team and the league as a whole.

It's odd to me that Fox Sports would prefer a team from Honduras over an American team like FC Dallas.

12. crzdcolombian

crzdcolombian Member+

Jul 17, 2006
    Avon,CT
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    SA teams would not want to take that flight.... think NY to Colombia is 8 hours and think my dad said its 6-8 to Buenos aires from colombia..... just throwing that out there because to do that then go back home and then having to go back to play doesnt seem like too many team would want to do that

but the Copa Sudamericana is def run by Fox sports they basically tell everyone what to do ..... its teh worst tournie ever.... River Plate and Boca Juniors get to the last 16 without even playing one match.... and are always qualified....

I would prefer Dallas in Copa Lib

and I think Comenbol is contemplating MLS teams because all the Mexis do is bitch about how they get cheated out of it every year, when they play soooo dirty, but without the mexi's in the tournie no way we will ever see these games in the US... unless ESPN goes big and starts showing them