Copa Sudamericana 2007 (r)

Discussion in 'Copa Libertadores / Sudamericana' started by JAIME CHILE, Jul 19, 2007.

1. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    The odd thing is, no Brazilian club has ever made it to the final of Copa Sudamericana.

Argentine clubs on the other hand have been involved in every single Sudamericana final, except one. And all Argentine clubs were on the winning side except....River :D

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Copa_Sudamericana

2. Caturro

Caturro Member

Aug 3, 2004
    Chile
    Club:
    Santiago Wanderers
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    Still can't believe how River lost that final. Don't get me wrong, Cienciano played a great tournament... but to me that was a great choke, at least of Colo Colo's proportions last year.

3. Mosco

Mosco Member+

Dec 1, 2004
    Sun Valley, CA

By the way with you being a Boca fan how is Insua different from Riquelme meaning in creativeness and attack? Also you may not know this one but why do they call Ortega from Riverplate (El Burrito)?

4. Argentine Futbol

Argentine Futbol Red Card

Feb 21, 2003
    Old Greenwich, CT
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Insua is from a. junior and than independiente. depending on how and where he played, he was awesome. had all the potential. Too bad he went to the sh1t german league and fook his game up. Ortega? who's that? :)

5. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    As far as Riquelme vs Insua, they both played basically the same role of enganche at Boca. They are similar players, both are great distributors, and both can score. Roman has more talent and skill with the ball, and Pocho has more pace.

Why they call Ortega Burrito? I have no idea. Maybe because he looks like a donkey? :D No, I don't know. Probably a childhood nickname.

6. Mosco

Mosco Member+

Dec 1, 2004
    Sun Valley, CA

This is exactly what Mexico lacks a player like Riquelme a number 10 to lead and control the game if Mexico had something like that we would be hard to beat, Bofo was close but he is kind of old and inconsistant

7. Dr. Know

Dr. Know Member+

Dec 5, 2005
    Macondo
    Shit game. It was expected that Arsenal would play this way but River is just as bad. And they lost Ortega :D.

8. Dr. Know

Dr. Know Member+

Dec 5, 2005
    Macondo
    LMAO!!!!! The gallinas choke once again. Belluschi choker :p :D. Another trophy-less season awaits them.

What a match by Cuenca.

A small team like Arsenal who are currently 16th place in the league in the final of the Sudamericana. Who would have thunk it.

9. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    LOL! Y pretenden llamarse grandes...

Sigan participando. :D

10. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Rep.

It is amazing that there are still Roman haters in Argentina.

11. peruytu

peruytu Member

Jan 19, 2003
    New York
    Club:
    Universitario de Deportes
    Nat'l Team:
    Peru
    .... and who owns Arsenal? Yup, you guessed it.. the biggest mafioso on the face of the futbol world, Grondona, A.K.A Leoz's right sticky finger hand.

Face it people, there's no coincidence here. Arsenal surge to the Copa Sudamericana started a few years back when GRONDONA bought the team, with of course, money stolen from Argie FA and i'm sure from the Conmebol.

12. Dr. Know

Dr. Know Member+

Dec 5, 2005
    Macondo
    Ugh what? Arsenal surge started when Arsenal bought the team? That makes no sense.

13. peruytu

peruytu Member

Jan 19, 2003
    New York
    Club:
    Nat'l Team:
    Peru
    Typo fixed.

14. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    When did Grondona buy the team?

What the hell? Grondona was the founder of Arsenal, along with his brother.

15. Dr. Know

Dr. Know Member+

Dec 5, 2005
    Macondo
    I still don't understand where you are getting at. Grondona is a piece of shit but he actually founded Arsenal with his brother back in the 50's. Arsenal didn't even play in Argentina's first division till 2002. They are a small club and will probably always be a small club. I really don't see how Grondona founding the club has anything to do with them reaching this final. I don't recall any dodgy decisions going their way in this campaign. And in the league they just happened to have a good season last year and made it to an international competition like other smaller clubs before them. And just like other small clubs they have faded back to mediocrity in the league.

16. peruytu

peruytu Member

Jan 19, 2003
    New York
    Club:
    Nat'l Team:
    Peru
    Ahhh so his brother is a mafioso also. Thanks for the info.

17. peruytu

peruytu Member

Jan 19, 2003
    New York
    Club:
    Nat'l Team:
    Peru
    Of course, Grondona needed the money to supplement the team while they were rising up to the first division. Where do you think he got all this money? Grondona is no genius, he's simply a scumbag that has stolen millions from the argie FA and the Conmebol. Teams with better infrastructure and history like Ferro Carril Oeste or Huracan should be in the first division. Not teams like Arsenal who have 10 fans altogether.

18. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Yes, Grondona is a mafioso, like pretty much all the people involved with FIFA. You don't get to be AFA's president by being a saint.

But still, we shouldn't dirty what Arsenal is doing with a humble team. The players earned their place in the final.

19. Dr. Know

Dr. Know Member+

Dec 5, 2005
    Macondo
    Dude if Grondona were actually pouring all his stolen money into this club don't you think they'd be a bigger club by now? Buying the best players in Argentina (insted of being made up mostly of rejects from other clubs or old players), competing for the title every year, getting the best coaches around, and as you mentioned having a much bigger following insted of having the worst average attendance in the Primera Division. They'd be the Argentine version of Chelsea if that were true.

Insted ever since they got into the Primera Division they've always been a mid to lower table club. They just happened to have a good season this last year and they made it to the Sudamericana just like it's happened in the past with other small clubs who also have one good year out of the blue. And as expected they have gone back to mediocrity in the league.

Them making this final is just a testament to their players achieving the unexpected and fighting for it not Grondona somehow buying their way to the final :rolleyes:.

PS. Huracan is currently in the first division.

20. bosterosoy

bosterosoy New Member

Jan 22, 2007
    In a House
    There were obviously no dodgy decisions in the Sudamericana. But there were dodgy decisions that helped them get there. Remember the article I posted about the ex-Argentina ref saying that mistakes were always made in favor of River and Arsenal? Well why do you think it said Arsenal?
    I'm sure it's not because Grondona is head of AFA :rolleyes:

21. Puro_Sinaloa

Puro_Sinaloa Member+

Dec 3, 2005
    Mosco, what are you doing over here? Don't embarrass us, please.

22. Dr. Know

Dr. Know Member+

Dec 5, 2005
    Macondo
    I remember that article. I think there were dodgy decisions but I don't think it affected it that much. Moreso they have gone back to sucking in the league. River are constatly on the end of dodgy decisions in Argentina and it got them nowhere :D :p.

23. bosterosoy

bosterosoy New Member

Jan 22, 2007
    In a House
    they've gone back to sucking in the leauge because this season their only focus was/is the Sudamericana

24. riverplate

riverplate Member+

Jan 1, 2003
    Corona, Queens
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Results-

November 14
    River Plate 0 (0) - (0) 0 Arsenal de Sarandí

Arsenal advances on penalties, 4-2.

25. Glavisted Big Soccer

Sep 24, 2007
    Lima, Perú
    Qué bueno por el Arsenal de Sarandí, espero que se queden con la copa al final.