Copa Libertadores?

Discussion in 'Argentina' started by MadridForLife, Sep 19, 2003.

1. MadridForLife

MadridForLife New Member

Oct 13, 2002
    Worcester, MA
    Before I start my post I just wanted to say that I'm going to try to write in spanish on these boards for a few reasons. One is that it is most posters main language and it is easier for them. Also I'm studying spanish for my 5th year so it helps. Also its probably gonna suck, but just bear w/ me. ok here it goes

Cuantas equipos esta en La Copa Libertadores en el principio? Como los equipos califica? Es muy similar de el Champions League?

Tambien otro de los equipos de Brasil y Argentina que equipos son equipos grande?

Muchas gracias

2. efernandez9

efernandez9 Member

Jun 6, 1999
    Joe Pool Lake
    welcome here madrid.

It used to be for champion and runner up for 10 countries that make up the confederation.

few years back they added a grp and allowed more teams from brazil and argentina, that followed by more teams from most nations to 32 teams, grps of 4

where the top 2 teams will move on for an elimination round (home/away)......and so on

last month they added one more grp....in fact is now 35 teams and yr 2005 will have 36 teams, the last move allowed back teams from venezuela and Invited Mexicans (2 clubs in 2004 and 3 for 2005)

Is more complicated but, I tried to make simple, just ask... what part you want me to elaborate on it.

3. MadridForLife

MadridForLife New Member

Oct 13, 2002
    Worcester, MA
    I wanted to know more about the qualifying. How many rounds? Teams from what countries? Also I wanted to know what places from each country get a bye into the Copa. Like in england the top 2 teams get into the CL without qualifying. Then the 3 and 4 place have to qualify. I was wondering about that in the Libertadores. Also I don't know if you missed the other part of my question but it is no big deal. I was just wondering what are the big clubs in South America outside of Brazilian and Argentine teams.

Thanks

4. Ronaldinho11

Ronaldinho11 Red Card

Jul 28, 2003
    San Pedro Sula
    Club:
    CD Olimpia
    Nat'l Team:
    Honduras
    There's 5 rounds (group stage, second round, quarter final, semifinal, and final).

Teams from all S. American countries and 2 from Mexico but in 2005 it'll be 3 from Mexico.

Group stage is made up of 8 groups of 4 teams and the top two qualify and 3rd and 4th teams are eliminated then in second round you face off home and away against another team from another group that qualified and winner advances and so on.

Teams from Argentina and Brazil are the powerhouses don't look for the Copa Libertadores title to leave those 2 countries for awhile.

5. efernandez9

efernandez9 Member

Jun 6, 1999
    Joe Pool Lake
    Olimpia de paraguay: LAST YEAR CHAMPS!

6. Ronaldinho11

Ronaldinho11 Red Card

Jul 28, 2003
    San Pedro Sula
    Club:
    CD Olimpia
    Nat'l Team:
    Honduras
    Yea but they had an under-par performance there this year and to be strong you gotta be consistent

7. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Brooklyn, NY
    There's not much qualifying involved in the Copa Lib... as far as I know, last year 30 teams go directly to the group stage, while 4 others - 2 from Mexico and 2 from Venezuela - had to qualify for the 2 remaining spots.

But this year I think they're doing away with all the qualification - the 2 Mexican teams and 1 Venezuelan team automatically play in the group stage.

8. efernandez9

efernandez9 Member

Jun 6, 1999
    Joe Pool Lake
    venezuela has 2 teams for 2004 (champion and runner up)
    Mexico has 2 teams for 2004 (big debate in how to choose them)