copa libertadores

Discussion in 'MLS: General' started by netsfan549, Feb 26, 2014.

1. netsfan549

netsfan549 Member

Aug 31, 2007
    Do you think a team like Galaxy, Red bulls Or Toronto FC. Can actually compete in Copa Libertadores?

2. phoenixhazard

phoenixhazard Member+

Oct 26, 2010
    Seattle, WA
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    yes i do if it was held in N. America. The travel alone is a massive factor we can't ignore. not saying these teams would win it but i don't think it would be embarrassing either and perhaps 1 or 2 could get out of group stage. I'd rather CONCACRAP clean up the CCL and turn it into the big deal it should be. winner needs A LOT more prize money and they need to make a bigger TV deal rather than the crap one they have now in usa

3. thnkucomeagain

thnkucomeagain Member+

Jul 13, 2012
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    The CCL could be a bigger deal here IF the MLS teams were constantly successful in it. I'd rather see the MLS focus on shoring up the CCL than worrying about the CL.

4. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The winner does ok when you factor in the FIFA CWC money. It is the other 23 teams in the CCL that may need more cash incentives.

5. phoenixhazard

phoenixhazard Member+

Oct 26, 2010
    Seattle, WA
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    yea true, in general the CCL needs to be retooled, but concacaf is such a cluster f* that i dont see them ever doing anything successful here. even if there is only 2 leagues that can realistically win it they really need to turn it into a bigger deal, starts with investors and sponsorships which leads to higher revenue and tv deals but needs more viewership to start. random though but they should get rid of 2 leg final and try it at a 3rd party stadium, maybe 1 year to see how it works out.

6. Steve0013

Steve0013 Member

Jul 20, 2012
    London, UK
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Toronto? Is that the same Toronto that was the worst team in the league last season? Yeah i think they might struggle a little bit. The Red Bulls would get thrashed by even the weaker teams and LA would do better then the rest but would still struggle

7. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Toronto stunk last season but they were the MLS club that advanced the farthest in the 2011-2012 Champions League so they have had past success.

8. gremio1903

gremio1903 Member+

Aug 10, 2011
    Uruguaiana, RS (BRA) [last: Rockville, MD]
    Club:
    Gremio Porto Alegre
    #8 gremio1903, Feb 28, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2014
    Compete, yes. Would they be in the Round of 16? It is a long shot, yet.

I would love to see them there, though. Distance is a problem, so this is how I would do it:

https://www.bigsoccer.com/community/threads/how-to-include-usa-can-in-copa-libertadores.1934897/

Unfortunately, someone started an Eurocentric trolling, and I can get very defensive against it.

9. USFootiefan1980

LAFC
    United States
    Aug 19, 2005
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'll repost my response from the locked thread on this topic that was started earlier this month:

"It's not our cup. It's a fantastic tournament, but CONCACAF team have no business in it."

WarrenWallace and gremio1903 repped this.
  10. kcscsupporter

kcscsupporter Member+

Apr 17, 2002
    D17
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    what a weird place to put a period. yes, that's my unwelcome contribution to this thread.

sitruc, USFootiefan1980 and gremio1903 repped this.
  11. USFootiefan1980

LAFC
    United States
    Aug 19, 2005
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sorry for my typo. Apparently it takes me several hours/days to proofread. :oops: