copa libertadores or uefa champions league?

Discussion in 'Mexico' started by la fresa, Feb 12, 2010.

1. la fresa

la fresa Member+

Oct 31, 2005
    texas
    Club:
    Serbian White Eagles
    which do you prefer watching?

2. la fresa

la fresa Member+

Oct 31, 2005
    texas
    Club:
    Serbian White Eagles
    just curious as to which people here prefer. don't get me wrong, i love football, i love watching football from all around the world no matter what level it may be, as long as it doesn't include oswaldo sanchez playing, but we all have our favorites.

not asking which is the highest level or who would beat who in a match or anything, but whats your personal preference?

3. metalmaster

metalmaster Member+

Jul 7, 2004
    In the wrong hood
    Club:
    Hakoah Maccabi Ramat Gan
    I'm a Eurosnob when it come to futbol.. :) Actually, i don't get to watch a lot of Libertadores games, so I would say Champions League.

4. zenden

zenden Member+

Nov 12, 2006
    yo estoy en Europa
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Copa Libertadores is less predictable. The only teams that regularly make it past the 8tvos are Boca and Sao Paolo the rest are a toss up. Libertadores for me.

5. sidspaceman

sidspaceman Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 20, 2002
    AMÉRICA DE CALI
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Copa Libertadores for me and it's not even close.

6. metalmaster

metalmaster Member+

Jul 7, 2004
    In the wrong hood
    Club:
    Hakoah Maccabi Ramat Gan
    That good?.
    Maybe is time to get better cable service.

7. la fresa

la fresa Member+

Oct 31, 2005
    texas
    Club:
    Serbian White Eagles
    yeah, i was wondering if anyone else felt this way and i suppose they do. i love this time of year. the passion and desire to win in these games seems noticeably more intense than in the champions league to me. also as zenden said, a lot less predictable. there are usually very few surprises for the round of 16 in the CL, would be hard pressed to determine who is going to advance in the libertadores though.

this edition will be good. especially with the world cup coming up.

edit: the atmosphere to most of these games is incredible too

8. Tecos

Tecos Member+

Apr 8, 2003
    Chicago
    Club:
    Tecos UA de Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    i personally cant stand how teams in the champions league play for the 0-0 away and then are happy with the 1-0 at home. seems to happen a lot less in the libertadores.

9. la fresa

la fresa Member+

Oct 31, 2005
    texas
    Club:
    Serbian White Eagles
    probably the main turn off for the champions league to me. they would benefit greatly, in my opinion, if they did away with the away goal rule and have a goal count as a goal. i'm not even really that excited for the first round of games coming up. they will all more than likely look the same.

10. Deleted USer

Deleted USer Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Both are fun to watch, but I prefer Libertadores.

The style of play, the drama, and yes, even the shady officiating makes Libertadores just so much more fun to watch and gives us much more to talk about.

I just wish Mexican teams were participating in Sudamericana again.

11. PARS

PARS Moderator
    Staff Member

Jul 3, 2007
    Austin, TX
    Club:
    CF Rayados de Monterrey
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    If a team I follow/like is in Libertadores, then I prefer that... but in general, two teams I am rather indifferent on Champions or two teams I am rather indifferent in Libertadores, I'd go with Champions.

/p

12. El Washatero

El Washatero Member+

Nov 5, 2007
    AP Top 25!
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Mosco this.

13. El Chompiras

El Chompiras Member+

Feb 27, 2006
    San Fernando Valley
    Nat'l Team:
    Austria
    get the channel
    you missed out on the awesome game between universidad catolica vs Colon de Santa Fe

14. Naui_Ocelotl

Naui_Ocelotl Member

Apr 3, 2008
    Copa Libertadores, the average Libertadores match tends to be more exciting than it's UCL counterpart.

15. Serg33

Serg33 Member+

Jul 11, 2007
    Libertadores.....there's just a lot more drama, I'm watching the game at home and I feel the intensity of the game (even when there are no mexican teams playing). I don't get that same feeling when I watch the Champions League matches.....don't get me wrong, I love the champions league but if I had to choose one or the other than I'd go with Libertadores.

16. guado

guado Member+

Jun 30, 2004
    ocotengo miedo
    Club:
    Inverness Caledonian Thistle
    Nat'l Team:
    Indonesia
    this

and that

im also a fan of upsets and underdogs (at least the perception), so seeing a team like once caldas take down santos, sao paulo, and boca is pretty nice

17. Rafael Hernandez

Rafael Hernandez Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 6, 2002
    Both are about the same, which isn't that much. I probably follow the Champions League game the most although I don't really care about them as with Libertadores and the MFL teams. I watch more Champions league as the teams are better and it's in a hour without TV conflict most of the time. But I really hate all the euro snobishness. On the other hand I only care about how the MFL teams do in Libertadores and it takes away from the experience. Any Champions league final is interesting but a final between LDUQ vs Fluminense is bittersweet to me because a Mexican team isn't there.

In the end, I grew up seeing the international game and I much prefer that. I would rather see the pre-WC friendlies from any team in the running than either Libertadores or the Champions league.

18. MEXICO WILL BE CHAMP

MEXICO WILL BE CHAMP BigSoccer Supporter

Jul 9, 2007
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Libertadores all the way,like when a mexican team (specially if its your team)goes to south america and spanks some team on their turf it just feels great, you know the teams and people watching are like "damn!! Mexico aint no joke" or when you beat the shiat out of Boca Juniors four nil in your home stadium...nothing more exciting except maybe El Tri winning big in the world cup....my 2 centavos

19. Hecho en Chivas

Hecho en Chivas Member+

Apr 22, 2004
    Chulajuana
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    i only watch Libertadores games when there is a Mexican team playing

i much prefer the Champions League

20. CyberAce100

CyberAce100 Member+

Jul 4, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    The Champions doesn't really get interesting until quarter finals and realistically there are only about 5 teams that have a shot at winning it all. When it comes to Libertadores I won't sit through entire matches unless a Mexican team is involved. I would go with Libertadores, just because teams are more evenly matched.

21. Mr Frogg

Mr Frogg New Member

Oct 27, 2008
    libertadores, by far. preferir la champions ni siquiera es ser eurosnob, es no tener idea de futbol.

22. Ags09

Ags09 Member

Club America
    Mexico
    Jun 16, 2006
    Philly
    Club:
    Club América
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Libertadores...mucho mas emocionante....and much more swagger hah

23. elvasco

elvasco 100% Americanista

Sep 10, 2006
    What MrFrogg said is stupid.

I only watch the libertadores matches that involve America, if we aren't in it don't bother at all.
    Champions League I cannot watch because I'm usually working when it's on live and Im not gonna sit thru games that don't involve my team and I already know the scores of, unless it's the final like I have done for the last couple seasons, so I guess it's champions league for me.

24. Hecho en Chivas

Hecho en Chivas Member+

Apr 22, 2004
    Chulajuana
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    what i'd like to know is who the hell voted for Concacaf Champions League??

25. Ags09

Ags09 Member

Club America
    Mexico
    Jun 16, 2006
    Philly
    Club:
    Club América
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    a spazzo more than likely haha