Copa Libertadores 2020

Discussion in 'Copa Libertadores / Sudamericana' started by chaski, Dec 27, 2019.

1. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    River is very capable of scoring 3 or 4 goals. But I doubt that they can keep a talented team like Palmeiras from scoring themselves. River likes to hold the ball and move their defense up, and attack with lots of people and they create lots of chances, but their defensive midfield is porous, and Palmeiras should be able to take advantage of it. I don't see a superclasico final.

celito repped this.
  2. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    I will feel fairly secure once we get 1 home goal.

3. locoxriver

locoxriver Moderator
    Staff Member

May 22, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Our defense is too damn bad... we never properly replaced Martinez Quarta and it’s showing. Pinola is 37 or 38 and can’t keep up at the pace of the youngings, and Rojas is a promising centerback but has proven to be extremely green in the last two games vs Boca and Palmeiras.

Then there’s the losses of Exequiel Palacios, Quintero, Scocco, and Pratto — all players of extreme quality and NT experience that were with us at the beginning of the year but didn’t make it to December. They all left, but like MQ were never actually replaced with anyone and you can see it with how weak our bench is when we need alternatives like last night.

It’s hard to imagine River flipping the score with such a weak defense. Yeah, maybe we score 3 or 4, but they score 2 or 3. It’s a near impossible mission, but Gallardo taught us to have hope: when Wilstermann beat us 3-0 in the first leg everyone thought we were out, yet we put on a masterclass in the second leg and advanced. When Cruzeiro beat us 1-0 in el Monumental everyone thought we were toast, yet we went to Belo Horizonte and won 3-0. In the 2018 Libertadores final, Boca were up 3 times (!!), yet River lifted the title.

I’m not getting my hopes up and obviously expect Palmeiras to go through, but this book isn’t over and you never know what the final chapter has in store

4. Century's Best

Century's Best Member+

Jul 29, 2003
    USA
    Technically this is correct; however, that was the last time the Copa Libertadores had home and away matches.

5. Century's Best

Century's Best Member+

Jul 29, 2003
    USA
    @argentine soccer fan One more detail on the question you asked earlier. In Brazil, São Paulo and Rio de Janeiro are distinct cities with their identities and cultures, and so are Belo Horizonte and Porto Alegre. I think an equivalent in your country would be La Plata and Rosario (Estudiantes and Gimnasia y Esgrima, Newell's Old Boys and Rosario Central). I don't know how distinct people from La Plata feel from people from Buenos Aires given the short distance between the two cities, but I do understand Rosario is much farther away and that the Newell's-Central rivalry is a pretty bitter one.

I speculate there would diehard fans of either Newell's, Central, or Estudiantes who would make jokes about River Plate, Vélez Sársfield. Boca Juniors, San Lorenzo, or Argentinos Juniors being defeated in a Libertadores final vs. a Brazilian (or any other South American) club, but I wouldn't know if it's because of any inter-city rivalry people from those cities may have against Buenos Aires. The same takes place between fans from São Paulo and Rio de Janeiro as well as Belo Horizonte and Porto Alegre; it's basically good old soccer rivalries which do at times include a city vs. city factor. It's a domestic version of the club/country dynamic - my club before yours, our clubs before foreign clubs, our country before others.

6. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Thanks for the comments.

I'm not going to speak for all fans, but based on my experience, in Argentina basically there are those who hate Boca (River fans), those who hate River (Boca fans) and those who hate both (fans of all other clubs), although in the provinces there are fans of some small provincial clubs who in addition support either Boca or River and hate the other.

The difference between Argentina and Brasil is that Buenos Aires is much more dominant when compared to any other region. In Brasil I see more parity between regions.

For the most part fans of a team from Rosario, La Plata or Cordoba will hate their regional rival first, but also will hate the big teams from Buenos Aires. Fans from Buenos Aires usually hate the other big clubs from Buenos Aires, but as far as the bigger clubs from the provinces, we are mostly dismissive rather than hate them. A fan from Boca, River, Independiente for example would never admit that a Newell's or Rosario Central can belong anywhere near our level, although the Rosario fans will make reasonable arguments based on tradition and merits to say that their clubs do belong among the big clubs.

Personally, for the most part I want to see the big clubs from Buenos Aires (other than my club, Boca) lose, but I do tend to get behind the smaller clubs from Buenos Aires and behind all the clubs from the other regions if they play against a foreign club.

And, I should add that by hate I mean in a sporting sense, wanting to see them lose. Not real hate, although unfortunately there are many idiot fans who don't know the difference. I do appreciate great players and great teams, even if in a sporting sense I enjoy watching them lose.

7. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Only wanted to end the half at 0 x 0. Disastrous so far.

8. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    I had no idea what the ref was calling . I guess it's the right call.

You guys are deserving this @locoxriver

locoxriver repped this.
  9. locoxriver

locoxriver Moderator
    Staff Member

May 22, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Wooooow and now that bs red... absolutely disgraceful performance from the ref

10. locoxriver

locoxriver Moderator
    Staff Member

May 22, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Lmao just put on a green jersey at this point... my god

11. SiempreCrema

SiempreCrema Moderator
    Staff Member

Deportivo Independiente Miraflores
    Peru
    Feb 4, 2015
    Club:
    Universitario de Deportes
    Nat'l Team:
    Peru
    VAR is ruining the sport.

unclesox and locoxriver repped this.
  12. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Thought the 2nd yellow was bad. Our player went down easy.

The PK though looked like the right call to me.

But you guys deserve to go through. Shameful performance by my team.

13. locoxriver

locoxriver Moderator
    Staff Member

May 22, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    IN-********ING-CREDIBLE ... highway robbery

14. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Hard to celebrate this. Didn't deserve to go through.I will be happy when the final comes. Hopefully better display.

Tough break @locoxriver

locoxriver repped this.
  15. Century's Best

Century's Best Member+

Jul 29, 2003
    USA
    I listened to Brazilian sports radio after the match; there were divergent views on certain calls. I then switched to an Argentine show and there was disagreement there as well.

River was better tonight, and it deserves credit for nearly pulling the upset. Will Gallardo stay on board? Or is this the end of an era?

As for Palmeiras, despite its poor showing tonight, it still did a great job last week and it is nonetheless a competitive side. It will certainly (and hopefully!) display better football on January 30th.

16. pipinogol

pipinogol Member+

May 20, 2016
    Club:
    Cary RailHawks U23
    All the calls were right IMO (unless I'm forgetting someting). The most debatable was the second yellow card for the River player that was sent off but I think it's right as well.
    Of course River fans will be bummed because the calls were ALL against them but, it is what it is.

17. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    The general consensus seems to be that VAR was properly applied in the controversial decisions against River. However, there was a play at the end of the match due to illegal contact from Weverton to Paulo Diaz that should have been a penalty and both the ref and VAR missed.

And that's the problem with VAR. I understand that no system is perfect, but when applied inconsistently, it creates more questions than it answers. As they say in Argentina, "they catch an ant and miss an elephant".

At any rate, I am sorry that we don't have a superclasico final, but I tip off my hat to River, they went to Brazil ready to play, and they played well, both in terms of strategy and execution. They did what they needed to do to reverse the disaster of the first game, and it's only circumstantial that they did not advance.

18. Century's Best

Century's Best Member+

Jul 29, 2003
    USA
    Carrascal last week and Fabra tonight with completely unnecessary fouls resulting in straight red cards.

Argentines, what's with your Colombian players? Are they trying to embody the Uruguayans of the 1960s? :ROFLMAO:

19. Century's Best

Century's Best Member+

Jul 29, 2003
    USA
    #69 Century's Best, Jan 13, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2021
    Santos reaches the Copa Libertadores final and as strong an opponent as Palmeiras will be, it's got a solid chance to become Brazil's first four-time champion after earning its trip to Rio de Janeiro by winning with complete justice tonight.

If this team stays together and enough investment is made in terms of reinforcements, this Santos could be Brazil's next big thing - what Palmeiras already is in terms of roster quality and investments made. Fast, young, athletic players who rise to the occasion. It's a pleasure to watch.

What was Fabra thinking? He looked at Marinho and deliberately stomped on him. It's pretty likely Boca Juniors would have lost with 11 men, but with 10, there was no hope.

Whither Boca Juniors? Will it rebuild?

An all-Brazilian final in Maracanã. It doesn't get better than this.

20. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    That stomp deserves more than a regular suspension IMO.

21. locoxriver

locoxriver Moderator
    Staff Member

May 22, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I think former FIFA international ref Castrilli hit the nail on the head with his analysis after the match:

“Lo que más duele es que River no queda afuera por Palmeiras. River queda eliminado por el VAR. No hay otra lectura. Hay elementos objetivos para decir que hubo una clara predisposición manifiesta para encontrar la aguja en el pajar y todos los elementos que no beneficiaran a River“
    Like I mentioned repeatedly, we also sunk our own ship in the first leg with very grave, evitable errors committed by Carrascal, Armani, and Rojas, no doubt about that. However, you can't help but feel a sense of rage seeing how clear as day it was how they kept on trying to find any little thing to avoid us passing. We were playing against much more than 11 players last night, that's for sure.

Alas, cheers to the brazucas and may the best team win in the final... hopefully whoever the winner is takes down Bayern at the CWC in February. They've kind of been on a decline lately, losing to Borussia Monchengladbach over the weekend in the Bundesliga and now being eliminated by a second division team in the German Cup today. Of course they still have the strength of an incredible, world-class squad, but they don't seem to be the unstoppable force they were not long ago any more.

22. locoxriver

locoxriver Moderator
    Staff Member

May 22, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I don't know... maybe they're trying to play like Felipe Melo.

23. Century's Best

Century's Best Member+

Jul 29, 2003
    USA
    2010 doesn't bring you good memories either, does it....

24. Century's Best

Century's Best Member+

Jul 29, 2003
    USA
    Anything can happen in 90 minutes, but given the disparity between CONMEBOL and UEFA, it's going to be a difficult task. Their champion has beaten ours every time after 2012, and while Flamengo came close in 2019, losing only in extra time, the Champions' League winner has proven to be simply that good.

That is, of course, that Palmeiras/Santos gets past whoever the semifinal opponent is.

locoxriver repped this.
  25. chaski

chaski Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 20, 2000
    redacted
    Club:
    Lisburn Distillery FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Turks and Caicos Islands