Copa Libertadores 2020

Discussion in 'Copa Libertadores / Sudamericana' started by chaski, Dec 27, 2019.

1. locoxriver

locoxriver Moderator
    Staff Member

May 22, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Looks like we have a date, boys...

[​IMG]

I wonder if the Brazilians will be able to take advantage of the situation....

chaski repped this.
  2. locoxriver

locoxriver Moderator
    Staff Member

May 22, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina

chaski repped this.
  3. chaski

chaski Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 20, 2000
    redacted
    Club:
    Lisburn Distillery FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Turks and Caicos Islands
  4. dinamo_zagreb

dinamo_zagreb Member+

Jun 27, 2010
    San Jose, CA / Zagreb, Croatia
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia
    What's up with the Argentine superliga? There is no info on wikipedia (English nor Spanish versions). Venezuela? Bolivia? I see Colombia finally starts.

5. locoxriver

locoxriver Moderator
    Staff Member

May 22, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    At the moment September 25th is the stipulated date for the return of the Superliga, although there is heavy speculation that that date will be pushed back. Word is that AFA has already decided to postpone the return until at least mid-October and will be making an announcement in the coming days.

For the record, Argentine teams just started training in August, and even then it has been very limited because of rules set by AFA and the Argentine government. For example, leading to next week's Libertadores matches, all Argentine teams will be arriving without having even held an informal 11 vs. 11 training session among their own players due to limits set concerning how many players can train within a given amount of space together. In other words, the last time the Argentine teams played even a light, training friendly match was 6 months ago, all the way back in March. We'll see how things go, but it is clear no Argentine representative will be anywhere near optimal conditions when things kick off next week.

6. dinamo_zagreb

dinamo_zagreb Member+

Jun 27, 2010
    San Jose, CA / Zagreb, Croatia
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia
    Thanks. That's pretty sad.

7. locoxriver

locoxriver Moderator
    Staff Member

May 22, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
  8. Century's Best

Century's Best Member+

Jul 29, 2003
    USA
    And the group stage ends.

If the old, traditional round of 16 format were still in use, this would be the bracket:

(1) Palmeiras vs. (16) Libertad
    (8) Jorge Wilstermann vs. (9) Racing

(4) Nacional vs. (13) Athletico Paranaense
    (5) Boca Juniors vs. (12) LDU Quito

(2) Santos vs. (15) Delfin
    (7) Grêmio vs. (10) Guarani

(3) Flamengo vs. (14) Internacional
    (6) River Plate vs. (11) Independiente del Valle

locoxriver repped this.
  9. locoxriver

locoxriver Moderator
    Staff Member

May 22, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    #34 locoxriver, Oct 23, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 23, 2020
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

chaski repped this.
  10. Century's Best

Century's Best Member+

Jul 29, 2003
    USA
    Why wait 1 month to start the round of 16? They could have started next week and had the quarterfinalists determined by Thursday, November 5; the following 2 weeks could then be "off weeks" so national teams could gather their rosters for FIFA dates/World Cup qualifying, and then on the week of November 23-27, the quarterfinals could have started, with the semifinals right after on December 7-11 and 14-18. Allowing for the holiday season, the final could have been on January 9 (a Saturday).

Oh well, it is what it is. Some good matchups. I will particularly pay attention to Flamengo and Racing - Racing did well in the group stage and it seems like a club on an upward slope. I view Flamengo as the likelier to advance, but it should be a pretty good home-and-away confrontation.

11. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    #36 argentine soccer fan, Oct 29, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 29, 2020
    Wow! Boca's path to the finals could go through Inter, current champ Flamengo (or Racing), then possibly Palmeiras, and in the final -imagine that! - it could be River (or the best remaining Brazilian team).

Fun times. To get to number seven we will really have to earn it!

12. locoxriver

locoxriver Moderator
    Staff Member

May 22, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Palmeiras is on the other side of the bracket....

But yeah, still tough, as you guys may possibly face Gremio or LDU in the altitude of Quito if you make it to semis

13. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I see, you are right. So Palmeiras is your problem :)

We might also get another Tevez vs Robinho matchup in the semis - if Santos keeps him.

14. chaski

chaski Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 20, 2000
    redacted
    Club:
    Lisburn Distillery FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Turks and Caicos Islands
  15. locoxriver

locoxriver Moderator
    Staff Member

May 22, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    LOL Racing is ********ing terrible... about time they’re knocked out of the libertadores

Of course I wanted Boca to lose tonight, but it would have been embarrassing if a team like Racing made it all the way to semifinals

Down to the final four. What final do you guys hope to see?

Ron Mexico repped this.
  16. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Yes, Racing was horrible last night - except for the goalkeeper Arias, he alone saved them from a truly historical embarrassment.

I want - I'm sure like every Boca and River fan - a superclasico final. It will be a chance for Boca to erase the darkest day in the club's history, and for River obviously a chance to dig the hole even deeper. Of course Boca wants to regain the international glory of the early 2000's and River wants to continue the supremacy of this decade, but it would mean so much more to either team if it's done against our bitter rival.

I don't know how big the Santos - Palmeiras rivalry is, but I think that for neutral football fans an Argentine - Brazilian matchup at the Maracana would probably be the most appealing.

locoxriver repped this.
  17. Century's Best

Century's Best Member+

Jul 29, 2003
    USA
    Boca Juniors vs. Palmeiras would be interesting given they met in 2000 (and in the 2001 and 2018 semifinals).

I'd find, however, a Santos vs. Palmeiras final even more interesting. There isn't a specifically bitter rivalry between them the way there is between Palmeiras and Corinthians, but all of the "big four" from São Paulo (São Paulo, Palmeiras, and Corinthians, plus Santos, which is based in the coastal city of Santos) always give it their all when they face each other.

There'd be a lot at stake if these two teams met, and not only the championship or bragging rights. If Santos wins it, it will be the first four-time Libertadores winner in Brazil; if Palmeiras wins it, it will win its second title (after 21 years), and with the prize money, it'll be well-primed to strengthen what is already one of the more expensive and talented rosters in CONMEBOL, which should in theory ready it for a 2021 run.

As an asides, it'd be a bit of a kick in the head for cariocas to host a Libertadores final where both finalists are from São Paulo. What a lot of non-Brazilians don't know is that Brazilians refer to the "Eixo Rio-São Paulo" (RJ-SP Axis) re: these two being the cities with tons of historical and economic weight in Brazilian soccer. Since 1980, Rio teams have won the Libertadores three times (1981, 1997, 2019) whereas São Paulo teams have won it six times. There's a bit of a rivalry between these two cities even if there's no particular inter-city rivalry.

locoxriver repped this.
  18. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Would you say that in general a fan from de Rio de Janeiro area would prefer a Paulista team to win over an Argentine team, or the other way around? How about somebody from the Porto Alegre area?

19. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Generally I'd say no for the first statement (we generally hope Brazilian teams would lose in that situation regardless). But it may depend on rivalry. Flamengo and Palmeiras have built an inter-state rivalry as of late so neither would want the other winning even a Libertadores vs an Argentine team. Personally I'd lean towards a Brazilian team over any Argentine team except for Corinthians. I don't mind Sao Paulo and Santos winning, but I also haven't lived in Brazil for over 20 years.

argentine soccer fan repped this.
  20. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    That 2nd goal would have been real nice. Barely offsides. River still the better team.

21. Century's Best

Century's Best Member+

Jul 29, 2003
    USA
    That's hard to pinpoint. There is a certain inter-city rivalry as I wrote, and whether a carioca or paulistano would favor a foreign team depends. I remember speaking to a corintiano who wanted Deportivo Cali to beat Palmeiras in the 1999 final. The same week I spoke to two other corintianos who wanted Palmeiras to win because Palmeiras is a Brazilian club. I'm sure both would happen in a RJ team or SP team vs. foreign team knockout stage match.

Porto Alegre.... it's like Belo Horizonte. These are cities with large populations, distinct cultures and identities (Porto Alegre especially). But each city has two major teams and all of them have won the Libertadores. I'd guess the same above would apply. In these two cities, Grêmio vs. Internacional and Atlético Mineiro vs. Cruzeiro are rather passionate because unlike SP, there aren’t one or two other major clubs with national and continental wins to compete against. It’s either one or the other.

argentine soccer fan repped this.
  22. Century's Best

Century's Best Member+

Jul 29, 2003
    USA
    I will admit I didn't expect a score like this, and I expected a team with River's experience and talent not to lose its composure the way it did. Perhaps it was a very strange situation for them given they beat Nacional with a combined 8-2, given they nearly won it in 2019, and given they won in 2018.

Rojas was a bit slow on the second goal. The post-match reports I read said River's defense made serious errors in the 2-2 draw vs. Boca this past weekend, and apparently that's a problem that flared up again tonight.

23. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    They are a good team going up but their defense is definitely suspect. Partially because they also push so high. The thing is that I didn't expect us to have the quality to knock 3 goals in. For starters we don't have good striker. Luiz Adriano has been a meh signing and just came back from injury. But that's football. Unexpected things happen.

24. Century's Best

Century's Best Member+

Jul 29, 2003
    USA
    Even if River Plate is eliminated as it was in 2017, it will likely be a contender in this year's Copa Libertadores. The question is how long can this streak of competitiveness continue? Will Gallardo be seduced by offers in UEFA or elsewhere? Will any other team become the next "dynastic" club?

As you said, that's football, and these things happen.

Palmeiras is very close to the final. But 'very' isn't enough until the final whistle has been blown.

25. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Vendo o Barca jogar um 3 x 0 contra o Liverpool e outros resultados parecidos, com certeza nada esta decidido.