Copa Libertadores 2020

Discussion in 'Copa Libertadores / Sudamericana' started by chaski, Dec 27, 2019.

1. chaski

chaski Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 20, 2000
    Itchycoo Park
    Club:
    Lisburn Distillery FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    [​IMG]

FASE 1
    21 de enero
    Bolivia 4 vs Guaraní (PAR)
    Carabobo (VEN) vs Universitario (PER)
    Progreso (URU) vs Barcelona (ECU)

. . . .

La Final Única 2020 se jugará en el estadio Maracaná de Rio de Janeiro, el 21 de noviembre del 2020.

2. chaski

chaski Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 20, 2000
    Itchycoo Park
    Club:
    Lisburn Distillery FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
  3. SiempreCrema

SiempreCrema Moderator
    Staff Member

Deportivo Independiente Miraflores
    Peru
    Feb 4, 2015
    Club:
    Universitario de Deportes
    Nat'l Team:
    Peru
    1. Argentina
    2. Brazil
    3. Ecuador
    4. Paraguay
    5. Colombia
    6. Uruguay
    7. Peru
    8. Chile
    9. Venezuela
    10. Bolivia

Those are the leagues ranked I would think.

4. SiempreCrema

SiempreCrema Moderator
    Staff Member

Peru
    Feb 4, 2015
    Club:
    Nat'l Team:
    Peru
    This thread is a ghost town. I miss the glory days where everyone would join in the Lib discussion :(

5. Century's Best

Century's Best Member+

Jul 29, 2003
    USA
    This silence may be due to the fact that with the tournament now having preliminary/playoff round to determine the final 32 participants in the group stage, attention is going to be lower. If the pre-group stage confrontations will have teams such as Deportivo Capiatá, Oriente Petrolero, Carabobo, Deportivo La Guaira, Delfín, Macará, etc., it is likely many fans won’t be interested.

I do not mean to belittle these teams. However, a quarterfinal or semifinal confrontation between teams that have won the tournament and are realistic contenders is going to gather a lot more attention on BigSoccer and in terms of viewership.

Speaking of viewership, during the 2000s and at least until some point in the last decade, for BigSoccer members living in the United States, Fox Deportes showed the matches. I remember very clearly how I would easily find TV schedules and put them up here, both live broadcast and tape replays. However, after some time, Fox Deportes lost broadcasting rights, so U.S.-based fans had to rely on online streams or more recently, beIN Sports.

While it is true that in more recent time, finding better streams, including even YouTube broadcasts, has become easier, it’s likely many fans simply wish to sit on their couches, kick back with a beer, and turn on their 50” flat screens. Not everyone is willing to pay for beIN Sports, and not everyone even has cable TV nowadays. I may be a minority, but my household no longer has cable TV: family commitments and circumstances have made it such that I rarely ever have time to watch TV any longer. For the World Cup, Copa América, and for Summer Olympic events (soccer and otherwise), I simply use the Internet for whatever is available.

In Latin America, Facebook Watch provides free broadcasts of games, but I don’t know how reliable it is as I’ve never used it. My friends and relatives back in Brazil are fortunate as Rede Globo shows at least some matches and if Brazilian teams are involved, they are shown. But there, too, SporTV and Fox Sports are pay channels.

Last but not least, if one reviews the history of BigSoccer posting, one will find that many posters who were once active have been gone for years. The Brazil Forum did not for example have the largest number of posters, but it did have several posters who contributed quality posts. Some of them are gone now, and others show up (literally) only when the World Cup happens (or when Brazil wins titles of significance such as the Olympic gold medal or the Copa América). Given that I’m now a family man with much less personal time, when I do post here, it’s often when I have a moment at work or late at night when I alone am awake. I wouldn’t be surprised if other posters, too, have family situations which limit their personal time.

gringolimon repped this.
  6. SiempreCrema

SiempreCrema Moderator
    Staff Member

Peru
    Feb 4, 2015
    Club:
    Nat'l Team:
    Peru
    Can Universitario get the win in Paraguay?

I think yes. A rather poor Cristal did it last year vs Olimpia.

7. chaski

chaski Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 20, 2000
    Itchycoo Park
    Club:
    Lisburn Distillery FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--