Copa Libertadores 2018

Discussion in 'Copa Libertadores / Sudamericana' started by Century's Best, Dec 26, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    After a certain age the Nirvana albums seem to have come out yesterday.

Doogs repped this.
  2. pipinogol

pipinogol Member+

May 20, 2016
    Club:
    Cary RailHawks U23
    I agree that Ecuador is the closest there is to a 4th placer given the performances of Barcelona and del Valle in recent memory. Paraguay always has a club advancing to knockout stages and sometimes they make deep runs (surprisingly it hasn't been done by Olimpia or Cerro, but by the likes Libertad, Guaraní and Nacional).

Uruguay IMO is clearly better than Bolivia. First of all, bolivian teams are boosted enormously by the altitude, as is proven by all the thrashings they suffer when they play away. Second, although Uruguayan football's best days are behind, they have only failed two times (2005 and 2012) to qualify a team for the knockout stages in the XXI century. Bolivia, on the other hand, in the same period failed to qualify a team for R16 in every edition from 2001 until 2012 (!) and then failed again in 2013 and 2016.
    I don't know you, but for me Uruguayan league is no contest better than Bolivian.

3. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Sticking to the last 3 Libertadores:

2015 : Uruguay got Nacional eliminated by Palestino in the pre, Danubio finished last in their group, and Wanderers made it to the R16. Bolivia got The Strongest through the pre (over Morelia from Mexico), and in the group stage San Jose finished last in their group, The Strongest was close but no cigar, and Universitario made the R16. Advantage: Bolivia.

2016 : Uruguay got River Plate through the pre (beating U de Chile), River Plate finished last in their group, Peñarol finished third, and Nacional made it to QFs (Boca needed a penalty shootout to beat them). Bolivia lost their first team in the pre (Oriente Petrolero fell to Ind. Santa Fe), and The Strongest and Bolivar finished third in their groups. Advantage: Uruguay.

2017 : Wanderers beat Universitario in the first stage (point for Uruguay), The Strongest beat Wanderers in the second stage (point for Bolivia), Uruguay also lost Cerro to Unión Española. The Strongest beat Unión Española, so two teams from Uruguay made it to the group stage versus three from Bolivia.

In the group stage, Peñarol was last in their group and Nacional made it through as second place in theirs. Nacional lost in the R16. For Bolivia, Sport Boys finished last in their group but the two other teams made it through, with The Strongest losing in the R16 and Wilstermann making QF. Advantage: Bolivia.

So, for me, right now:

1. Brazil
    2. Argentina
    3. Colombia
    4. Ecuador
    --- next four very close
    5. Paraguay
    6. Bolivia
    7. Chile
    8. Uruguay
    --- next two very close
    9. Peru
    10. Venezuela

I'd say Peru and Venezuela don't make the Top 40 leagues in the world.

4. SiempreCrema

SiempreCrema Moderator
    Staff Member

Deportivo Independiente Miraflores
    Peru
    Feb 4, 2015
    Club:
    Universitario de Deportes
    Nat'l Team:
    Peru
    Uruguay has better top clubs than Chile, but a worse overall league than Peru.
    Also, you're being a bit generous. We may have talent but are dead bottom and I don't think we'll prove otherwise in this Libertadores.

5. pipinogol

pipinogol Member+

May 20, 2016
    Club:
    Cary RailHawks U23
    ok, pick the sample you like.

For me however, and except for clubs like Oriente Petrolero, all home results of bolivian clubs should be disregarded entirely when judging the league's level. But that's my opinion.

6. SiempreCrema

SiempreCrema Moderator
    Staff Member

Peru
    Feb 4, 2015
    Club:
    Nat'l Team:
    Peru
    Don't entirely agree. They've done well enough away from home to be regarded at that level. At home you've got to put it to bed too. Here in Peru, we've lost even the altitude advantage.

Bolivian clubs don't have individual quality but tactically they are solid.

pepinointer repped this.
  7. pipinogol

pipinogol Member+

May 20, 2016
    Club:
    Cary RailHawks U23
    Peru is different because the biggest and richest clubs are from Lima, in Bolivia all the relevant clubs except Oriente play at insane altitude (+3000m).

I have lost count of how many 5+ goal dif. defeats bolivian clubs have suffered playing away, that rarely ever happens to uruguayan clubs, even the smaller ones.

I stand by my opinion, in normal, no-cheat conditions bolivian clubs are only better than Venezuela's.

8. SiempreCrema

SiempreCrema Moderator
    Staff Member

Peru
    Feb 4, 2015
    Club:
    Nat'l Team:
    Peru
    The first part of your post is wrong. Lima has the biggest clubs but not the richest, which aree both based in the Andes. Melgar and Real Garcilaso are the 2 richest teams here.

pepinointer repped this.
  9. pepinointer

pepinointer Member+

Mar 12, 2007
    Santiago de Compostela
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    I didnt know

thanks for the info.

That clubs have won something recent??

Here is similar the capital clubs arent the most rich.......bu

10. SiempreCrema

SiempreCrema Moderator
    Staff Member

Peru
    Feb 4, 2015
    Club:
    Nat'l Team:
    Peru
    Sporting Cristal are also up there but I figure they are getting less support now that Backus or Cristal aren't supposedly paying for them anymore.

Melgar only brings in good players if the owner's interested in football is peaking. Ruidiaz was on 35,000 soles per month when he played for Melgar. Most of the time they only bring in "paquetes" and that's why they fail most of the time continentally. In the last 4 years, they brought in Raul Ruidiaz, Alberto Rodriguez, Omar Fernandez, Emanuel Herrera and Jhonnier Montaño.

I don't know about the whole Real Garcilaso situation but they've been the most successful Copa Peru champion. Since coming up, they reached a Copa Libertadores quarter final (2013) and fought for the Peruvian league title 3 times (2012, 2013, 2016)

11. deejay

deejay Member+

Feb 14, 2000
    Tarpon Springs, FL
    Club:
    Jorge Wilstermann
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Wilstermann plays at a very comfortable 2500m. Much like cities all over South America. Likewise the teams from Sucre.

12. SiempreCrema

SiempreCrema Moderator
    Staff Member

Peru
    Feb 4, 2015
    Club:
    Nat'l Team:
    Peru
    Wilstermann teniendo su revancha

13. locoxriver

locoxriver Moderator
    Staff Member

May 22, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    WTF happened to Vasco da Gama? :confused: Anyone catch the game? Wilstermann almost pulled off the miracle River pulled on them last year. Shame the PKs didn't go their way.

14. pipinogol

pipinogol Member+

May 20, 2016
    Club:
    Cary RailHawks U23
    Brazilians are so damn good at penalties... I think I have seen brazilian teams win like 85% of PSOs in my lifetime.

15. Century's Best

Century's Best Member+

Jul 29, 2003
    USA
    True! :laugh:

But we've lost them too. My own SPFC didn't come through in 1994 in what would've been a three-peat in the Libertadores. And my national team did not succeed in PKs in the 1986 World Cup - ditto for the 2011 Copa América.

Good for Vasco to win its shootout (and for Grêmio in its Recopa win vs. Independiente).

16. Century's Best

Century's Best Member+

Jul 29, 2003
    USA
    I remember this post from weeks ago. Assuming you watched any of the Grêmio vs. Independiente match (you saw the PKs), do you think this assessment still holds for Independiente? They won the Copa Sul-Americana over Flamengo and gave Grêmio a serious challenge.

It should be interesting to see how this Independiente team, which definitely does look like it has good chemistry, will match up against Corinthians - although they only play in April and in May.

17. SiempreCrema

SiempreCrema Moderator
    Staff Member

Peru
    Feb 4, 2015
    Club:
    Nat'l Team:
    Peru
    Nacional go into Real Garcilaso's group. Look forward to the rematch.

18. pepinointer

pepinointer Member+

Mar 12, 2007
    Santiago de Compostela
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    upload_2018-2-22_22-9-38.png

7 of brasil, 6 argentina, 4 colombia, 3 ururguay, 2 peruvians, 2 paraguayans, 2 ecuatorians, 2 chileans

Doogs repped this.
  19. pipinogol

pipinogol Member+

May 20, 2016
    Club:
    Cary RailHawks U23
    I'm actually a Independiente fan :) so of course I watched all that.

What is for certain is that our team has a lot of balls and flair, even if we don't have players as good as Boca's or River's. In both matches with Gremio we played 10 v 11 for more than 150 minutes (both legs combined) and despite that, somehow, we played better with a man down in both games.
    We lost Barco and Tagliafico compared to the sudamericana team, but we bought good players to replace them. The team still has to gel however, the same idea as last year is there but the "refuerzos" have to adapt the system.

Bias aside, I'm confident we will advance to next round and even dispute first place in this tough group. Don't think our players have enough experience to actually win the trophy, though.

And I also mantain what I said about Boca, they may have the best and most expensive players and they are leading the league by a mile, but they play like dogshit :ROFLMAO: currently Independiente and Racing are the two argentine teams that play the best football, even if they don't win every weekend.

20. locoxriver

locoxriver Moderator
    Staff Member

May 22, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    #45 locoxriver, Feb 22, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 23, 2018
    Some good looking groups... It's really anybody's game in all of them (well, except for poor Delfin SC and Deportivo Lara :D)

A lot of ARG-BRA match-ups too: Independiente-Corinthians, River-Flamengo, Boca-Palmeiras, Racing-Cruzeiro/Vasco, Estudiantes-Santos... I know @Century's Best will be keeping a veeeeryy close eye on those.

Should be an entertaining Copa to watch. :thumbsup: Kinda bummed about it being a year long, since the games are more spaced out now (longer wait). For example... I figure these are just prospective dates that are not set in stone, but does anyone know what's up with the three week break between the two final matches? I'm assuming that's because of International FIFA dates (there usually are some in mid-November), but it's a bit ridiculous to play the return leg of a final 21 days after the first match.. Specially now with this 12 month calendar, there really is no excuse for them to pull off this bs.

21. locoxriver

locoxriver Moderator
    Staff Member

May 22, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
  22. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    The preliminaries saw two teams from each country (except Argentina, only one) and in the end:

- Colombia won 4/4 match-ups, cementing their position as the #3 league in South America;
    - Uruguay won 2/3 match-ups, forcing me to re-assess their league strength;
    - Brazil won 2/3 match-ups, which is a bit weaker than expected, considering the last one was won on penalties;
    - Bolivia won 2/4 match-ups, with a big bonus because one was between two Bolivian teams;
    - Paraguay won 2/4 match-ups, which is still decent;
    - Chile won 1/3 match-ups, so it's not terrible;
    - Venezuela won 1/3 match-ups, and that is good for their standards;
    - Argentina won 0/1 match-up, but it was Banfield so meh;
    - Ecuador won 0/2 match-ups, dropping in everybody's estimation somehow;
    - Peru won 0/2 match-ups, which at this point is sort of expected.

23. pipinogol

pipinogol Member+

May 20, 2016
    Club:
    Cary RailHawks U23
    Banfield won their tie against Independiente del Valle, so it would be 1/2.

Suyuntuy repped this.
  24. Century's Best

Century's Best Member+

Jul 29, 2003
    USA
    The old dilemma: play ugly but win or play pretty but not always win. Been there done that - I'm Brazilian and 1982 was a watershed not unlike 1994 was.

25. Century's Best

Century's Best Member+

Jul 29, 2003
    USA
    A matchup like these is not the same as a matchup like Chapecoense vs. Godoy Cruz or Paulista vs. Banfield. No disrespect to these teams, but when former champions clash, it's always more interesting - especially if the current version of a club which won it all in the past is competitive. Estudiantes won it all in 2009 but in 2011 it lost to Cruzeiro in the group stage by a combined 8-0. Not a great performance by a 4-time champion.

Looks like your team has at least one year to go before a rebuilding program becomes inevitable.

I think the only clear advantages in the matchups you posted are held by Santos - Estudiantes doesn't look too strong this year.

locoxriver repped this.