Copa Libertadores 2015 [r]

Discussion in 'Copa Libertadores / Sudamericana' started by JAIME CHILE, Dec 4, 2014.

1. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
  2. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Y el Globito... 40 años que no había calificado para nada, y empezó goleando de visita.

3. Sandinista

Sandinista Member+

Apr 11, 2010
    Buenos Aires
    Club:
    Racing Club de Avellaneda
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Huracán en el 74' ya había clasificado para la Copa (como campeón argentino en el '73) y llegó hasta semifinales.

Aunque ahora no recuerdo el formato de ese año y si habrá tenido que superar muchos rivales.

4. RiverGaucho

RiverGaucho Member+

Jan 23, 2010
    Buenos Aires
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Aquel Huracán era un equipazo con Brindisi, Babington, Houseman, Coco Basile... Y este tiene a a Toranzo y Moreno y Fabienese, y Chiche Arano lol

5. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Aguante Strongest... Morelia es el peor equipo de la Liga MX.

6. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    That Huracan was one hell of a team, with players like Baley, Babington, Houseman, Brindisi, Larrosa. Not sure if a young Ardiles played for them that year.

7. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    That was before my time. Sounds like a very good team. In the early 70s though I think the format was different, and the semifinals was a group phase too. So it wasn't as hard to make them.

8. Sandinista

Sandinista Member+

Apr 11, 2010
    Buenos Aires
    Club:
    Racing Club de Avellaneda
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    El Huracán del '73 es una de las leyendas de todos los tiempos del fulbo argento, sip.

9. Century's Best

Century's Best Member+

Jul 29, 2003
    USA
  10. Century's Best

Century's Best Member+

Jul 29, 2003
    USA
    In my home country's league, being in the B isn't necessarily absolute proof of a team being mediocre. Palmeiras was in the B a few years ago and given how limited it was, it didn't do all that horribly in the Libertadores. It was knocked out in the elimination stages in part due to a terrible error by its goalkeeper.

I have no idea how good this Huracan is or is not, but if this team is not that great and if Alianza Lima was that poor, then all I can take from your comments is that Huracan will not be the strongest representative from your country in this year's Libertadores.

11. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    #36 argentine soccer fan, Feb 4, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 4, 2015
    When Velez played Santos in La Copa three years ago Peruzzi was guarding Neymar and it was billed -at least in Argentina- as a battle of teenagers. (Peruzzi is a few months younger than Neymar.) Fans in Argentina (not big on Velez) were saying Neymar was going to destroy him, but Peruzzi didn't let him touch the ball so he shut everybody up.

Still, Santos won the series in penalty kicks after each team won 1-0 at home, and advanced to lose to Corinthians in the next round.

12. Century's Best

Century's Best Member+

Jul 29, 2003
    USA
    #37 Century's Best, Feb 4, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 4, 2015
    That hardly qualifies him as a "verdugo." In my country the equivalent expression is "carrasco" - executioner. For example, Germany was your country's verdugo/carrasco in 2010 and my country's in 2014. Peruzzi and Velez Sarsfield? No.

In 2012, Santos advanced. I therefore hardly see why Brazilian teams would "tremble" at the presence of this young defender, given he's got a very short career, and given he's not established yet. In fact, Catania was relegated to Italy's second division with him playing in many of the season's matches - with Peruzzi on the pitch, Catania lost (if I'm not mistaken) 15 games. Not that every defeat was due to Peruzzi, and sure, the Seria A is a very difficult league, but if he was that great, I would imagine Catania would have lost fewer games.

Your team has retooled after a modest 2014, and your team's 5-0 victory over CARP is a great morale booster. But I see absolutely zero reason to think that Brazilian teams will be afraid of this young player - and no reason to see him as Neymar's carrasco.

13. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    But he's a very good fullback, it's not just that series. Many fans thought he should start for Argentina at the last WC, but Sabella did not take him to Brazil, probably because of his young age.

I mentioned the effort against Neymar a bit tongue-in-cheek but also to highlight that Boca got two players who have already done well in previous Copas Libertadores, Lodeiro for Nacional and Peruzzi for Velez, so it bodes well for us in this season's tournament.

14. Century's Best

Century's Best Member+

Jul 29, 2003
    USA
    That he is or isn't good is not the point. I said that the case for him being Neymar's "carrasco" isn't backed by the historical track record. I didn't follow Catania in 2013-2014, and I can only guess that he did his best despite Catania losing enough games to get relegated. He may well have a very successful career, but based strictly on what the facts state about him, there is absolutely no reason for Brazilian teams to "tremble" because of him.

Brazilian teams in 2015 are going to take this tournament very seriously - Tite is back at Corinthians, the 2 Belo Horizonte teams are still amongst the continent's better sides, SPFC has made a number of key personnel changes, and Internacional, for all its ups and downs, is still a good team. They may all ultimately fail to win the Copa Libertadores, but they will not tremble - and surely not because of this kid who, whatever talent he may have notwithstanding, has little to show for other than the 2012 confrontation with Santos and a relegation to the second division of the Italian league.

15. MetroChile

MetroChile Member+

Jan 13, 2001
    NJ; Valpo.
    Club:
    Santiago Wanderers
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
  16. unclesox

unclesox BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 8, 2003
    209, California
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Why was this?

17. RiverGaucho

RiverGaucho Member+

Jan 23, 2010
    Buenos Aires
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I have no idea. I was watching the game in a bar eating dinner and the commentary was on mute so i didn't hear them give an explanation, but the stadium was completely empty, though 50 or so huracan fans got in some how.

EDIT: Apparently the suspension was due to an "incident" during the copa sudamericana. They have to play 3 games behind closed doors. What the "incident" was i have no idea, but i assume since it was a 3 game sanction, it was something pretty serious. So Allianza will be paying for this for a while, most likely next year's sudamericana since this series is over.

unclesox repped this.
  18. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    In a Copa Sudamericana game against Ecuador's Barcelona the fans of Alianza Lima kept throwing flares into the field and they had to stop the game. Now they have to play without fans, not sure for how long.

A group of Huracan fans somehow got media credentials and managed to get in.

unclesox repped this.
  19. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Trust me, all the Brazilian clubs will tremble when they go to la Bombonera. They always do. :D

Actually I posted the things you responded to because I was responding in kind to our friendly rival RiverGaucho, who was popping off about River being the only clear candidate to the title. I in turn proposed Boca as the only clear candidate, and I brought up the Brazilian clubs trembling because of course they are usually considered candidates.

But in all seriousness, who do you think are the top Brazilian candidates this year? Looking from outside, I would think Sao Paulo has the best shot to win, and maybe Cruzeiro right behind them. What about Inter? They don't seem as strong but they are always "coperos".

From Argentina as I pointed out Boca got good reinforcements and is ready to contend. River had a tough summer but they were playing the best football in Argentina last season. Racing won the league title so they shouldn't be dismissed. Estudiantes is "copero", not unlike Inter. I don't see San Lorenzo repeating, last year was a fluke. I would have told you Huracan has no chance, but they did get off to a great start last night.

locoxriver repped this.
  20. Century's Best

Century's Best Member+

Jul 29, 2003
    USA
    Fluminense and Corinthians and Internacional have all gone there and gotten results which later helped them advance. ;)

In December, right after CARP won the Copa Sul-Americana, RiverGaucho wrote “There can only be one winner: River. If anyone thinks another team is capable of winner please share and explain yourselves.” I wrote back by saying that matches must be played and that there are no guarantees. It’s not as if anybody thought 1 year ago that Nacional of Paraguay came close to a real chance of facing Real Madrid.

São Paulo has taken steps to remedy one of its most glaring weaknesses in 2014: the defense. We got Breno back from Germany, we acquired Dória, and we also signed Centurión, whom you probably know well. Muricy Ramalho wanted a player known for speed up front. Luís Fabiano just scored his 200th goal, but he’s not getting any younger and he is injury-prone. We still have Pato, Ganso, Alan Kardec, and Michel Bastos, so at least on paper, São Paulo has the goods to go very far.

Cruzeiro: I haven’t followed them closely in the offseason, but they have been bold in altering their roster. Egídio, Nilton, Lucas Silva, Ricardo Goulart and Éverton Ribeiro are gone. Dagoberto and Borges – two talented forwards with Libertadores experience – were dispensed and Marcelo Moreno went back to Grêmio. They did get Leandro Damião, who won the Libertadores with Internacional in 2010, as well as Gilson, Felipe Seymour, Arrascaeta – names I don’t know. I’ve not seen a league winner go through such a thorough roster overhaul in a while, so we’ll see what happens.

Atlético Mineiro no longer has Ronaldinho Gaúcho, but it did sign your countryman Lucas Pratto, who has scored 2 goals. Diego Tardelli, Rever, Alex Silva, and Serginho are gone – Sherman Cardenas has arrived from Atlético Nacional of Colombia. Can’t say much more than that, and while they like Cruzeiro have maintained title-winning foundations from 2014, they may need time to gel.

Corinthians has Tite back; he is the manager who led them to Libertadores glory in 2012. The team is fairly talented: Lucas Silva, Fagner, Edu Dracena, Danilo, Guerrero, and Emerson Sheik, a hero from 2012 who is back from Botafogo. This team finished 4th in our league and with Tite once again on the bench, I expect this team to overcome Once Caldas and to advance to the group stage. Lodeiro has gone to your team, hasn’t he?

Internacional is strange. It had many ups and downs last year, it fired its manager, it has a somewhat aged roster, and yet it finished 3rd in the league. Its main name is another one of your compatriots – a player who made his name with CARP: Andrés D’Alessandro. There is the veteran Dida on goal and other seasoned names like Wellington Paulista and Rafael Moura, and the manager is Diego Aguirre (who eliminated Internacional from the 2011 Libertadores with Peñarol). I see them as the unlikeliest title contender from Brazil.

I know your 5-0 win was historic, but the key additions notwithstanding, I do wonder if one night’s result was an unusual occurrence or a sign that a modest team from 2014 will be a title-contending one in 2015. River Plate was solid in 2014, and I imagine they are hungrier than ever. I believe CASLA is quite likely to be eliminated in the opening round; they’ll fight to the end, but they had the unfortunate fate of falling into a difficult group.

21. Mengão86

Mengão86 Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Brazil
    Nov 16, 2005
    Maryland, RJ/ES/PE
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Atletico-MG is the clear Brazilian favorite IMO. They were playing the best football out of anyone the final two months of last year and they have picked up right where they left off in preseason and their first state championship game.

SPFC is probably the next team in line. @Century's Best , they signed Doria? I've seen the rumors, but nothing official has come out on that.

Cruzeiro has lost too many key players this transfer window for me to be a believer. They made a couple of interesting signings, but I need to see how they fill in before I judge.

Inter has a solid squad. Brazilian clubs normally don't have success with foreign managers, so it's difficult for me to place any stock in them. At least they aren't entering the competition as paper champions, because that is usually when they tend to struggle and ultimately disappoint.

Corinthians are also a good side, but I think it will take time for Tite to straighten things out. They also have a few questions marks regarding Guerrero's contract situation and midfield play.

22. SiempreCrema

SiempreCrema Moderator
    Staff Member

Deportivo Independiente Miraflores
    Peru
    Feb 4, 2015
    Club:
    Universitario de Deportes
    Nat'l Team:
    Peru
    I despise Patricio Loustau.

23. SiempreCrema

SiempreCrema Moderator
    Staff Member

Peru
    Feb 4, 2015
    Club:
    Nat'l Team:
    Peru
    That was fast. What a goal Emerson!

24. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Qué bruto Guerrero. Corinthians con diez.

25. SiempreCrema

SiempreCrema Moderator
    Staff Member

Peru
    Feb 4, 2015
    Club:
    Nat'l Team:
    Peru
    Guerrero sent off. Whats new?