Copa Libertadores 2014

Discussion in 'Bolivia' started by nanoGVSP, Feb 11, 2014.

1. MrNiloBraun

MrNiloBraun Member

Jan 16, 2007
    Nacional (Par) and San Lorenzo (Arg) go through to semis tonight.

Crazy to think that there is no "name" teams left or former champions. It's really a toss up and any of teams remaining can win it. I don't see any clear favorites.

Defensor should go through comfortably tomorrow. The Lanus/Bolivar game will be the nail biter.

So final four should be as follows:

Defensor (Uru) vs Nacional (Par)
    San Lorenzo (Arg) vs Bolivar/Lanus

2. Eber1990

Eber1990 Member

Jul 1, 2008
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    San Lorenzo is a big team, I think they're the favorites for most...

3. Bolivianfuego

Bolivianfuego Your favorite Bolivian

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Va
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    They have to be.

Defensor is a small fish that punch above their weight. Nacional too--the biggest surprise this tournament (besides us).

I am hoping we do the business tonight--but I am nervous as this Libertadores has proven to be unpredictable.

4. nanoGVSP

nanoGVSP Member+

Jan 31, 2012
    New york
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    I agree with you, by no meas do I think this one is in the bag. It's gonna be a tough game, if Bolivar doesn't go in ready to kill their hopes early it'll get tougher and tougher as the clock ticks.

5. vivabolivar

vivabolivar Member

Jan 16, 2006
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    I saw San Lorenzo play yesterday and damn are they fast on the counter attacks. If we move through today, I think it playing San Lorenzo will be twice the task.
    Did you guys see Marcelo? He had three chances, goalie was off the chain, and luck not on their side. Marcelo got a high cross, followed it, got turned around and put his foot on it just to see it bounce off two posts. Had that gone in, it would've been a top five score for this libertadores. Very unlucky that Cruzeiro didn't move forward. between Marcelo and Julio Baptista they had at least 8 good shots on goal. Player of the game should've been San Lorenzo's goalie.

6. Eber1990

Eber1990 Member

Jul 1, 2008
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Great Game by M3, I'm glad he didn't score tho, if we end up beating Lanus today I much rather play San Lorenzo than Cruzeiro.

PS: Atletico Nacional is not out of the competition just yet, I think they have the team to turn things around in today's game.

dreyx2000 repped this.
  7. Eber1990

Eber1990 Member

Jul 1, 2008
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    dreyx2000 and Bolivianfuego repped this.
  8. dreyx2000

dreyx2000 Member

Apr 1, 2007
  9. Eber1990

Eber1990 Member

Jul 1, 2008
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Bolivar a semis carajo!!! :cool:

Bolivianfuego and dreyx2000 repped this.
  10. Bolivianfuego

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Va
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    We win!! I think it's good we have a break right now. We need to work on some issues. If we had our game next week we'd be done for. Our guys are mentally tired.

11. nanoGVSP

nanoGVSP Member+

Jan 31, 2012
    New york
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    What a historic win, even though Bolivar played ugly they won and at this point that's all that counts. With time Azkargorta will work out the kinks. It's worth repeating historic step not only for Bolivar, but for Bolivian soccer. Let's hope they keep it going Baby! Congrats!

12. MrNiloBraun

MrNiloBraun Member

Jan 16, 2007
    Bolivar and Wilstermann have made it to semis before, this isn't the first time a Bolivian club has gone this far. Historic would be making it to the final or winning.

Weird and ugly game all around. From the Lanus player punching guti to the ugly pelotazos the defense was hoofing all game. Those last 15 mns were a bit bizarre. Seemed like Ferreira just stopped playing and they couldn't buy a gol. I can't remember the last time a Bolivian club has played much better away than at home, especially La paz, just hasn't looked good at home at all. Worst game I've seen them play so far.

Callejon was off, Quinonez continues to be scary when he comes out, Yecerottes crosses were imprecise, no combination play like we've seen in the past, and the D just booted it away. Just not their night. They get rolled over by San Lorenzo if they play like that. Will be interesting to see who Claure and Bigoton bring in. Uphill climb though as I think the writings on the wall, they got the Pope.

13. deejay

deejay Member+

Feb 14, 2000
    Tarpon Springs, FL
    Club:
    Jorge Wilstermann
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Finally caught a game and it was....ugly. But I could see the quality. This Bolivar is a better team for making it through the Copa then previous ones. It used to be that Bolivar was a possession team through and through. Now I see a team set up for counterattack but with real good quality. Sort of reminds me of some the Paraguayan teams that have gone far in the Copa. The best thing is that the draws have thus far been set up in Bolivars favor. Bolivar always plays away first which is great for a counterattacking team. The home team is always obligated to go out and Bolivar has the quality to punish them. After that they just need to wait the other team out in the La Paz altitude. I did see a bit of the Bolivian nervousness though late in the second half. I hope they handle that next game. If they get past San Lorenzo it will be an interesting final because they will be the favorites!

14. Bolivianfuego

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Va
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    #314 Bolivianfuego, May 15, 2014
    Last edited: May 16, 2014
    I agree with all of this.This was by FAR the worst I've seen us play this tournament.

I hope the next time we get on the field, everything is tightened up we're back at where we started when Azkargorta took over. We look mentally tired.

Although I am pretty sure we're Bolivar is the ONLY team to make it to the semi's. First in 86 and second being this time.

Edit: I was wrong. Wilster did make i to the semi's in 81.

vivabolivar repped this.
  15. vivabolivar

vivabolivar Member

Jan 16, 2006
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Que partido mas agonizante. Lanus almost got it back in the 92nd minute. If they weren't as tired the header is hit harder and with more precision. Quinones does scare me when he comes out, but I think he actually did better this time than the last three games. They were so in a hurry to score that their passing was very sloppy, and for their life they couldn't center one in the box, and the two times they did the other forward of midfielder nowhere to be seen. I was taking my kids to soccer practice listening to part of it on the radio.

Listening to the game was more gut wrenching than watching it. Here is a video of the goal and the final, love the announcer, El gol del partido con relato de Gonzalo Cobo Radio Fides de Bolivia

nanoGVSP repped this.
  16. nanoGVSP

nanoGVSP Member+

Jan 31, 2012
    New york
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    You are right Wilsterman in 1981, Bolivar in 1986. I guess I need to be more specific....I was referring to the new format. You see back then they would group teams by countries, also there were less teams playing. To your second point I couldn't agree more, the team looked shaky. I think one of the commentators hit the nail in the head, they were afraid of success. Now against San Lorenzo it looks like the last leg is played in La Paz, big plus for us. Bolivar will still need to play much better to knock out the popes team.

17. Eber1990

Eber1990 Member

Jul 1, 2008
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    I think when the media mention this, they refer to it as being the first time a Bolivian team is among the top 4 of Libertadores, cuz back then, the semis would be 2 groups of 3. So this is in fact the first time a Bolivian team is among the best four of the tournament. :)

18. Dustyvinyl

Dustyvinyl Member

Jun 16, 2008
    Santa Ana,Ca
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Why though? I would say that if we played next week .we would have the advantage of confidence and rhythm. San Lorenzo would come mentally weak because we just took out Lanus who are having a better league that SL.correct me if im wrong. A lot happens in few months

19. Bolivianfuego

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Va
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    It can be argued--and you bring up great points.

But personally, a more experienced SL would probably eliminate us especially with how our team has flamed out in the last game. We were lucky to keep it at 0-0 and then score a last minute 'thank god' goal to win it.

We had a bad game as did lanus, but a lot of good things happened in our favor like Lanus not making the most out of their chances and the 1 man send off. They were done after that. In a different game...we could have had a different result.

We need time to mentally get back into it and regroup. Ferreira looked pretty beat up by the end of the game and I have to wonder if he too was flaming out for us?

Dustyvinyl repped this.
  20. Eber1990

Eber1990 Member

Jul 1, 2008
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Also San Lorenzo is losing a couple of key players, If we keep our core and bring in some more experienced players we'll have a better chance IMO.

Bolivianfuego repped this.
  21. nanoGVSP

nanoGVSP Member+

Jan 31, 2012
    New york
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    That's kind of a double edge sword. if there are good offers for some of Bolivar's players it'll be tough for them to match. Specially if serious offers come in for more than one guy.
    The way I see it offers for guys like Arce, Ferreira, Callejon and others could come, I just hope this players are committed to the goal of winning the Libertadores, and that the ownership is willing and able to match. Bolivar will also bring new players, there will be a great deal of speculation, rumors and what have you. I hope when the dust settles we keep the core and are able to hit the ground running against SL.

22. Eber1990

Eber1990 Member

Jul 1, 2008
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    That's true nano, Callejon has a contract until next summer so that's a little easier, but Arce and Ferriera are free :/, My hope is they're committed to the goal, and also I think Claure won't let this opportunity pass and will spend some serious cash.

23. MrNiloBraun

MrNiloBraun Member

Jan 16, 2007
    Yup, Wilsters road to the semis back in 81 was much easier than the current format but let's give tristerman some props they were the first Bolivian team to reach semis.

I disagree Dusty, if SL played Bolivar right now the big edge would go to SL. They've played more consistent and let's be honest Bolivar squeaked by at home, up a man, against a demoralized and tired team. It should have been a goleada but they played scared and nothing was going for them.

As far as matching offers goes it's going to be up to Claure. He can match and exceed any offer made by anyone in the Americas or Europe. That's not the question, question will be if he's willing to do it. From day one he's preached fiscal responsibility and trying to get the club to fix its books which is why, even though he's wealthy, he hasn't tried to match the payrolls of big teams in Brasil/Argentina/Mexico and buy his championship.

As close as this team is to winning it all I would throw caution into the wind and open up that wallet. Look at the competition, there's no world beaters, I don't know if they'll get a better shot to win it all any time soon, and they legitimately do have a good chance to win it all.

Listen to the guy. He sounds like a kid on Christmas morning. I think he'll open up his wallet.

dreyx2000 and Saltenya94 repped this.
  24. Bolivianfuego

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Va
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Word is Beckham may suit up. If that was the case, I don't expect him to start out the hole, but if he does, I see him in for Miranda.

I agree--now's the time for him to reach into his own pocket like he did to bring Portugal and same with Hoyos. Their salaries weren't out of the team's pocket, but his own. He has to do the same, or ast least pay half.

The question is, what players are avaialble right now that haven't played in the libertadores, and would most likely be on a free transfer?

25. Bolivianfuego

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Va
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia