Copa Libertadores 2012 - Octavos [R]

Discussion in 'Copa Libertadores / Sudamericana' started by Suyuntuy, Apr 20, 2012.

1. Century's Best

Century's Best Member+

Jul 29, 2003
    USA
    Yes it was a golaço and I was taken by surprise as Vélez was. Atlético Nacional has plenty of talent and they outplayed Vélez at times. Had they kept their previous manager, who knows?

You watched it live you mean? Nice. I have only watched Libertadores match in person. Hard to be there since I live in the United States.

2. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Yes, that was a great goal. It looked like there was no foul on the play, but the way Mosquera executed the free kick I guess he earned it.

3. JAIME CHILE

JAIME CHILE Member+

Apr 26, 2006
    V.Alemana y Stgo
    Club:
    Cobreloa Calama
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    8ºs de final, vuelta (martes 8):

Vélez Sarsfield(ARG)-Atlético Nacional(COL) 1:1
    Augusto Fernández(VS) y Luis Mosquera(AN).
    Clasificó Vélez Sarsfield al ganar 2:1 en el global, y jugará en 4ºs contra Santos(BRA) o Bolívar(BOL).

Libertad(PAR)-Cruz Azul(MÉJ) 2:0
    José A.Núñez y Víctor Cáceres.
    Clasificó Libertad al ganar 3:1 en el global, y jugará en 4ºs contra Dep.Quito(ECU) o Univ.de Chile(CHI).

HeartandSoul repped this.
  4. MetroChile

MetroChile Member+

Jan 13, 2001
    NJ; Valpo.
    Club:
    Santiago Wanderers
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    Boca se defiende bien y lo poco que ataca, siempre lo hace inteligentemente a través de Riquelme. Explotan muy bien los pocos recursos que tienen.

5. Bostero818

Bostero818 Member

Nov 5, 2011
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I'm sorry I didn't watch it live. I meant that I actually took my time out to watch it where I had some schoolwork to do. I live in the U.S. as well :sneaky: but I would have loved to be there or at any Libertadores match for that matter.

6. Bostero818

Bostero818 Member

Nov 5, 2011
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I really enjoy those types of free kicks where it's a sudden attempt and it surprises the keeper.

7. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Boca wins in Chile with a great game by Riquelme. Things are looking good!

Meanwhile, Corinthians also advances easily and Vasco gets by Lanus in the penalty tiebreaker.

8. Bostero818

Bostero818 Member

Nov 5, 2011
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Of course the result for Boca was enjoyable for me to witness. I'm glad for Corinthians but I was a little sad that Lanus got so far scoring from 1-0 to 2-1 yet losing in penalities.
    I don't know. Something about them made me want them to go far.

9. fabsonaboat

fabsonaboat New Member

Feb 4, 2011
    New Jersey & Rio de Janeiro
    Club:
    Fluminense Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    I got the privilege of being able to go to a Libertadores Final when my Fluminense made it all the way, but unfortunately we lost to LDU on penalties.. The entire Maracana was silenced and it was one of the worst days of my life. I still have nightmares about that match. I live in the U.S. as well but I'm going to Rio in less than 2 weeks so if my Fluzao advances against Inter tonight, you can bet I'll be cheering my team against Boca later this month! =D

10. JAIME CHILE

JAIME CHILE Member+

Apr 26, 2006
    V.Alemana y Stgo
    Club:
    Cobreloa Calama
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    8ºs de final, vuelta (miércoles 9):

Unión Española(CHI)-Boca Juniors(ARG) 2:3
    Juan Insaurralde(BJ), Pablo Mouche(BJ), Jean-Paul Pineda(UE), Juan Riquelme(BJ) y Sebastián Jaime(UE).
    Clasificó Boca Juniors al ganar 5:3 en el global, y jugará en 4ºs contra Fluminense(BRA) o Internacional(BRA).

Corinthians(BRA)-Emelec(ECU) 3:0
    Fabio Santos, Paulinho y Alex.
    Clasificó Corinthians al ganar 3:0 en el global, y jugará en 4ºs contra Vasco da Gama(BRA).

Lanús(ARG)-Vasco da Gama(BRA) 2:1
    Nilton(VG), Mariano Pavone(L) y Teófilo Gutiérrez(L).
    Clasificó Vasco da Gama tras empatar 3:3 en el global y ganar 5:4 en penales, y jugará en 4ºs contra Corinthians(BRA).

11. Century's Best

Century's Best Member+

Jul 29, 2003
    USA
    We're going to have some seriously can't-miss fixtures next week.

One which is already defined is the Vasco vs. Corinthians quarterfinal. Elimination matches between teams from the same nation are always known for that extra passion and competitiveness, and it will be no different next week.

This all-Brazilian confrontation will pit the 2011 Copa do Brasil titlist, Vasco, against the defending Campeonato Brasileiro champion, Corinthians. Vasco had a great 2011; it went very far in the Copa Sul-Americana and came very close to a double national title season as it finished in 2nd place, 2 points behind Corinthians.

Corinthians is back in the Libertadores’ final 8 after many years, and they look like a contender. They have the tournament’s best defense (2 goals allowed in 8 games) and the 2nd best offense (13 goals), secondly only to the 16 goals that the now-eliminated Atlético Nacional boasted. Corinthians has Danilo, who won the 2005 Libertadores with São Paulo; Alex, who won the 2006 Libertadores and FIFA Club World Cup with Internacional; Liédson, a naturalized Portuguese striker who has played in the World Cup; and, a cup-winning coach in Tite. Tite is a one-time “disciple” of Luiz Felipe Scolari, and he led Grêmio to the 2001 Copa do Brasil (over Corinthians, I might add). Under Tite, Internacional won the 2008 Copa Sul-Americana (and Alex was on the roster).

Overall, then, Corinthians has, on paper, one of its best-ever chances to conquer America.

But to do that, they must get past Vasco. Vasco had a memorable 2011, beginning with its Copa do Brasil triumph. The team then competed in two major competitions in the second half of the year; but for a few details, it would have taken the 2011 Brasileirão, and it fell to Universidade de Chile in the Sul-Americana semifinals. The roster has Carlos Alberto, who won the Champions’ League and the European-South American Cup with Porto; Diego Souza, a promising midfielder who participated in the 2011 Superclássico das Américas; Juninho, former Olympique Lyonnais star and veteran of Brazil’s NT; Felipe, a homemade product of Vasco who incidentally helped Vasco win its only Libertadores in faraway 1998. Vasco is coached by relative unknown Cristóvão Borges, who replaced Ricardo Gomes after the latter suffered a stroke in August of 2011.

Technically, Corinthians fans should be happy because their team has owned Vasco in a number of pivotal confrontations. In the 1995 Copa do Brasil, Corinthians took Vasco out in the semifinals and went on to win the Copa. In 2009, the exact same thing happened (interestingly, against another Rio Grande do Sul club: Internacional; in 1995, Grêmio fell by the wayside). And in 2000, Corinthians defeated Vasco on PKs at the conclusion of the first-ever FIFA World Club Cup. Come the first match in São Januário, however, Corinthians will have, indubitably, its most difficult rival in the 2012 Libertadores thus far. Vasco is no inexperienced upstart, and its elimination of Lanús will boost its morale.

But first, another all-Brazilian elimination match, between 2 other very strong and rugged competitors: Fluminense vs. Internacional. Too bad Fox won’t show it – I’ll have to settle for a live feed.

HeartandSoul and Catracho_Azul repped this.
  12. Century's Best

Century's Best Member+

Jul 29, 2003
    USA
    One correction: Corinthians has 16, not 13, goals, so far. The 13-goal tally was for the group stage.

13. Latin Pride

Latin Pride Member

Aug 1, 2004
    In your house
    Club:
    Olimpia Asuncion
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Corinthians looks good no doubt, I think they will beat Vasco but lose to Velez or Santos (assuming they win tonight) they are great on paper and Tite is a great coach but I can't see them not chocking :D

14. SoccerScout

SoccerScout Member

Jan 3, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    Club:
    Internacional Porto Alegre

Glad for Corinthians? The most corrupt, dirty soccer club in Brazil? Don't feel bad for them

15. SoccerScout

SoccerScout Member

Jan 3, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    Club:
    Fox is a joke for putting on the Deportivo Quito match and UChile when that is virtually decided...and leaving out a classic beteween Inter a flu.

16. Emperor Adriano

Emperor Adriano Member+

Jun 17, 2009
    Utica NY (the refugee city)
    Club:
    Santos FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Pretty much , it makes no sense at all.

17. Century's Best

Century's Best Member+

Jul 29, 2003
    USA
    Golaço. Elano with a scorcher from outside the box. 1 shot on goal, 1 goal. Santos 1, Bolívar 0.

18. Century's Best

Century's Best Member+

Jul 29, 2003
    USA
    A mistake - after excellent passing and triangulation by Santos and a great run, Henrique has his shot blocked when he had Neymar wide open in the box. But an even worse mistake by goalkeeper Arguello, who pushes Edu Dracena and grants Santos a penalty.

Neymar kicks and scores. Santos winning 2-0.

19. SoccerScout

SoccerScout Member

Jan 3, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    Club:
    Did I hear the guy on Fox say that Inter Flu will be on Fox at 10? Did they change their minds?

20. Catracho_Azul

Catracho_Azul Member+

Jun 16, 2008
    New Orleans
    Club:
    Corinthians Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Honduras
    The myth of Bolivian teams having home field advantage seems to be true.. they don't look like anything we saw last week in La Paz. This is getting ugly and if this was boxing, a towel would've been thrown in the ring a long time ago.

21. locoxriver

locoxriver Moderator
    Staff Member

May 22, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Oh wow.. 5-0 Santos and the first half is not even done. Bye Bolivar!

22. Catracho_Azul

Catracho_Azul Member+

Jun 16, 2008
    New Orleans
    Club:
    Corinthians Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Honduras
    Men against Boys looool this is sad and hilarious.

23. Century's Best

Century's Best Member+

Jul 29, 2003
    USA
    Vélez Sarsfield probably knew after the second goal that Santos would be the visiting team next week.

24. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    The Bolivar keeper, Argüello, wouldn't catch a cold in a freezer.

locoxriver repped this.
  25. AcesHigh

AcesHigh Member+

Nov 30, 2005
    Novo Hamburgo
    Club:
    Gremio Porto Alegre
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    wow... Santos 7 - 0 Bolivar...