Copa Libertadores 2009 [R]

Discussion in 'Copa Libertadores / Sudamericana' started by JAIME CHILE, Nov 2, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bolivianfuego

Bolivianfuego Your favorite Bolivian

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Va
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    And again, i dont see what the problem is with playing in altitude, at least for bolivia. Our club teams like i stated cant compete with most brasilian clubs, especially Real Potosi which will get trumped i am sure real bad in Potosi. 'let me ask you somethin' why ya care' (larry king voice) lol.

Give us our home win, while we get beat up in brasil. You guys will probably rest most of the starters in bolivia anyways.

2. Mengão86

Mengão86 Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Brazil
    Nov 16, 2005
    Maryland, RJ/ES/PE
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    I have no problem with it. I don't want anything done to take that away. My point was it's an advantage and Potosi is extremely difficult to beat at home, despite how poor they are and how good other teams are.

Did Potosi have better teams in the other editions?

3. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Boca missed just one CL this century. Off the top of my head, I don't remember River missing any.

4. Bolivianfuego

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Va
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Geez.... hmmm... i mean they had/have players that used to be something, like Gatty Ribiero, little short brown guy with good cuts and passing, but his overweight is what killed him. He's not overthe hill age wise, at under 30 maybe 29? But his no care of being slim/ in good physical state is what brought him down.

Beyond having some over the hill players for bolivia, they never have had success only participating in 3 copa libertadores, counting this one. Oh yea and also one copa sudamericana participation. They never have got out of either beyond their first round.

The only teams that ever make waves in international tournaments are our big clubs, as stated earlier, Bolivar, Blooming, Oriente Petrolero, The Strongest.

If these teams arent in, then most likely they will not get to the next round.

Hopefully Universitario(first time ever winning a first div. championship) and Aurora(a very poor bolivian team).

All teams though are basically set up to get beat up. Hopefully one can pull through, basically either aurora or Universitario.

5. superfrantheman

superfrantheman Red Card

Nov 11, 2006
    Olvidados de Dios
    Club:
    Sporting Cristal Lima
    Nat'l Team:
    Peru
    Union Minas from Peru played in a higher ground..... 4312 msnm!

here's a clip of it

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FfA9Fgv6rrE"]YouTube - UNIVERSITARIO DE DEPORTES CAMPEON EN CERRO DE PASCO[/ame]

at least potosi's field looks better than ALCIDES CARRION

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3va7u6OphoY"]YouTube - Futbol Peruano, Futbol Chacra: Minas-Alianza 1993 Parte 2[/ame]

6. HeartandSoul

HeartandSoul Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 25, 2007
    The Garden State
    Club:
    CD Colo Colo
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    Altitude is a reality: Cities with clubs in the Copa with at least 1,000 meters above sea level.

Potosi: 4,824 m (Real Potosi)

Quito: 2,850 m (Liga, Deportivo Quito, El Nacional)

Tunja: 2,810 (Boyaco Chico)

Sucre: 2,790 m (Universitario de Sucre)

Cochabamba: 2,574 m (Aurora)

Cuenca: 2,560 m (Deportivo Cuenca)

Pachuca: 2,426 m (Pachuca)

San Luis Potosi: 1,850 m (San Luis)

Guadalajara: 1,552 m (Chivas)

Medellin: 1,495 m (Independiente Medellin)

Cali: 1,000 m (America de Cali)

7. superfrantheman

superfrantheman Red Card

Nov 11, 2006
    Olvidados de Dios
    Club:
    Sporting Cristal Lima
    Nat'l Team:
    Peru
    i wouldnt consider guadalajara, medellin and cali as "altitude" cities....

and is potosi this 4,824 m?

i really cant believe it! does real potosi play in potosi, or do they have their stadium in a neighboor town? and is the pitch at 4824?

the reason why i included union minas is because they have their stadium at 4312 m, but the city cerro de pasco has an average altitude of 4200m

8. HeartandSoul

HeartandSoul Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 25, 2007
    The Garden State
    Club:
    CD Colo Colo
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    They could be inaccurate, did quick searches on google. But elevation is a reality, no way to go around it.

9. superfrantheman

superfrantheman Red Card

Nov 11, 2006
    Olvidados de Dios
    Club:
    Sporting Cristal Lima
    Nat'l Team:
    Peru
    las time i checked was in wikipedia, and they have this

"Cerro de Pasco(4300) is often the place where some Peruvian Football teams like Union Minas or Deportivo Wanka play, sometimes criticized for the height of the stadium because of the snow and lack of oxygen."

"Potosí is a city, the capital of the department of Potosí in Bolivia. It is claimed to be the highest city in the world at a nominal 4,090 m (13,420 feet).[1] It lies beneath the Cerro de Potosí — sometimes referred to as the Cerro Rico ("rich mountain") — a mountain popularly conceived of as being "made of" silver ore, which has always dominated the city. Cerro de Potosí's peak is 4,824 meters (15,827 feet) above sea level."

so i guessed potosi's highest point is that one 4824... i really couldnt believe that a game was played at such altitude. well at least a proffesional game, because i dont know if you guys remember it, but evo once played one of his fidel's games at a town in bolivia with an altitude of 5200. the game's purpose was to protest against FIFA and the denial and ban to play football in altitude

10. superfrantheman

superfrantheman Red Card

Nov 11, 2006
    Olvidados de Dios
    Club:
    Sporting Cristal Lima
    Nat'l Team:
    Peru
    good research, these are the teams that are competing in this 2009 edition, but i just wanted to include some cities that have held at least a game in the past.

Bogota ~ 2600 right?
    Mexico DF ~ 2200 right? add smog to it
    Arequipa ~ 2300 - Cienciano played some matches there while Garcilazo from Cuzco was remodel for Copa America 2004
    Calama ~ 2800? if this city has a high elevetaion, i really found it weird because i never seen a comment of chileans complaining...
    Manizales ~ 2000? isnt that city around that height?

i probably forget some cities...

11. Mengão86

Mengão86 Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Brazil
    Nov 16, 2005
    Maryland, RJ/ES/PE
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Parana played Calama in 2007 and spanked Cobreloa there. Then they played at Potosi and got spanked by Real Potosi, which is probably an inferior team to Cobreloa.

12. Bolivianfuego

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Va
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    I dont think so, cobreloa IMO is a better team, i dont know about that year, but def. in general.

13. Spencer

Spencer Member

Mar 11, 2002
    Quito
    Club:
    Barcelona Guayaquil
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    Quito es a 2850 que no es nada...
    Yo hago montañismo y cuando estuve en la cima del Ruco Pichincha (4800m.) la semana pasada, empeze a jugar futbol con un balon de futbol sala que llevamos y la verdad es que te quedas sin aire despues de unos 20 minutos jaja

14. Mengão86

Mengão86 Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Brazil
    Nov 16, 2005
    Maryland, RJ/ES/PE
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Huh? That's what I said. Real Potosi is an inferior team to Cobreloa.

15. Bolivianfuego

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Va
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    LOL Got that mixed up, my bad mengao. Friendship? :)

16. Che Matador

Che Matador Member

Apr 22, 2003
    Inside the Beltway
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    The only teams to do anything ( and by anything I mean at least make it to the second round) were Bolivar, Strongest, and to some extent Wilstermann.

Oriente and Blooming have not done well in the past.

17. HeartandSoul

HeartandSoul Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 25, 2007
    The Garden State
    Club:
    CD Colo Colo
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    Calama is what gives Cobreloa the edge in the domestic tournament, when they have a good team. Internationally, it helped them get into 2 straight Copa Libertadores finals in both 81 and 82. They weren't able to play both of their final home games in Calama though.

Also, for the last 2 qualifiers the Chilean national team trains there for a suitable amount of time before playing Bolivia in La Paz which is 3,640 m above sea level.

18. Arthur V

Arthur V Member

Dec 29, 2008
    Brasilia, BRASIL
    Club:
    Sao Paulo FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Re: Copa Libertadores 2009

You're right. Chivas is not as big as Sao Paulo. NEVER.

Sao Paulo has his history to prove.

19. superfrantheman

superfrantheman Red Card

Nov 11, 2006
    Olvidados de Dios
    Club:
    Sporting Cristal Lima
    Nat'l Team:
    Peru
    you guys have calama, we have cuzco, arequipa, and many mreo cities in altitude, but guess what, our team trains in lima just before playing bolivia, ecuador or colombia :mad:

argentina once trained in LA QUIACA, next to bolivia, but peru? even there we suck man....

and why couldnt cobreloa play in calama? was it because the stadium was small or just because conmebol say so?

20. Yañez

Yañez Member+

Oct 11, 2005
    Santiago, Llolleo
    Club:
    Univ de Chile
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    Yeh weird, Im pretty sure its closer distance from Lima to any high alt city in Peru than it is from Santiago to Calama. Also, the Chilean Airforce lets the national team use air pressure thingies to help em adapt.

21. Andrés_

Andrés_ Member

Nov 16, 2007
    Argentina.
    Club:
    CA Independiente
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Altitude? Bah, i remember a match of the Sudamericana a couple of years ago between Real Potosí and Audax Italiano at Potosi, it was snowing even.

22. Guayaquileño

Guayaquileño Member

Dec 3, 2006
    New York City
    Club:
    Barcelona Guayaquil
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Well for LDUQ .. the city of Quito is at like 2,800 ... but their stadium (Casa Blanca) is in a lower part of the city... The measured elevation of Casa Blanca is 2,700.

23. Manyaraña Recargado

Jan 9, 2006
    Club:
    CA Peñarol
    Nat'l Team:
    Uruguay
    the stadium of potosí is at 4,400

24. superfrantheman

superfrantheman Red Card

Nov 11, 2006
    Olvidados de Dios
    Club:
    Sporting Cristal Lima
    Nat'l Team:
    Peru
    thanks manya....

the highest soccer stadium in th world? huh

25. Futjol

Futjol New Member

Jan 21, 2009
    Nat'l Team:
    Peru
    What do you mean by closer distance? Did you meant closer altitude levels? If so, not at all. Lima is 0-1,548m Making the coast to 0 and further in 1,548m.

Maybe you meant km distance, if so you will be wrong again.
    From Lima to the south of Puno which is the furthest altitude city from Lima is 1540.61 Kilometros, and from Santiago to Calama is 1225.21 Kilometros.

About Chivas, we really cant say much about Chivas b/c their lack of participation in la Copa Libertadores.
    For me all time history best teams of Latin America are:
    1) Independiente de la Avellaneda
    2) River Plate
    3) Peñarol
    4) Sao Paulo
    5) Boca Junior
    6) Santos (Brasil)
    7) Cruzeiro
    8-10) Velez, Gremio, Palmeiras,

Estos equipos en cuanto historia son envidiables.