Pre-match: Copa do Mundo 2018, Quartas-de-Final: Brasil vs. Bélgica, 6 de Julho de 2018

Discussion in 'Brazil' started by Century's Best, Jul 3, 2018.

1. IVO !

IVO ! Member

Feb 25, 2009
    RIO AND CHICAGO
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    I am also worried about those high crosses into one of those huge dudes with the big afro in the box.

2. ripalino

ripalino Member

Feb 26, 2013
    Sao Paulo
    Club:
    Fluminense Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    I predict a Belgian player seeing a red card in this game courtesy neymar .

3. MerlinRM

MerlinRM Member+

May 5, 2014
    NorthEast USA
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    I'm not worried but I can't stop thinking about our quarterfinal match against Holland in 2010. I was also certain we'd beat them back then as well.

This will not be an easy match.

4. Srikanth Ramasubramanian

FC Barcelona
    Brazil
    Jun 27, 2018
    I am a bit surprised we rate Belgium this high. They have been beating on minnows for the last 2 years and every time they faced a better-than-average team, they've drawn. I predict a close game, but another 2-0 for Brazil with some brilliance from Neymar. TS and Alisson are also going to have excellent games.

Edit, not sure why I can't insert the image I want to but here is the link:
    https://imgur.com/a/KI6dREX
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

ripalino repped this.
  5. Redshift

Redshift Member+

Dec 14, 2004
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Corinthians Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
  6. Redshift

Redshift Member+

Dec 14, 2004
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Corinthians Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
  7. tpmazembe

tpmazembe Member

Jun 13, 2002
    The Midfield (S.Fla)
    I need some of that calmness. Woke up at 5 am because I'm old and needed to pee, then couldn't get back to sleep thinking about the game. I wish it was the first game.

MerlinRM and Redshift repped this.
  8. tpmazembe

tpmazembe Member

Jun 13, 2002
    The Midfield (S.Fla)
    #83 tpmazembe, Jul 6, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 6, 2018
    Hopefully the pattern continues. I like what Roberto Martinez has done, including bringing in Thierry Henry to help with self belief in the Belgium squad....but I think if Selecao scores first it wouldn't be surprising to see them crumble (in spite of their comeback vs Japan...Selecao is different). I wouldn't say the same about Uruguay or France who I'm positive would have self-belief until the end.

A different ball game if they go up.

9. omajac

omajac Member+

Feb 9, 2002
    East Orange, New Jersey, USA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    I'm in no way trying to praise Italy(who didn't even make it) but if there was ever a game for G. Jesus to do a Rossi'82 today is the day to do it!! Lol:D

10. Century's Best

Century's Best Member+

Jul 29, 2003
    USA
    I read all of Redshift's URLs and agree with the general sentiment, which is Tite's personal philosophy has filtered into the way the players play.

Even if Brazil fails to win the World Cup - or even if Brazil were to lose today - I believe CBF needs to grant him a minimum two-year extension. I have not forgotten how Vanderlei Luxemburgo, for all his errors and defects, was humiliated right after the 2000 Summer Olympics. Émerson Leão did even worse; admittedly, our best players were injured and Leão made horrible personnel choices. When Luis Felipe Scolari took over, he had almost nothing to work with, so even though his legacy has been marred by the 2014 World Cup, he at least built a team in 1 year and won the World Cup.

Today Brazil has no one at Tite's level, and continuity would be very helpful to keep our team consistently strong for the next few years; we do, in fact, have a Copa América at home next year, and it'd be great for Brazil to win that competition (a 30-year anniversary of the 1989 Copa América which Brazil also won on home soil).

I'm not saying Tite should have a stint as long as Alex Ferguson's was at Manchester United, but Tite more than deserves an offer; additionally, once the World Cup ends for Brazil, title or no title, you guys can all bet clubs everywhere will throw money at him to get him to manage their teams.

tpmazembe and Redshift repped this.
  11. Redshift

Redshift Member+

Dec 14, 2004
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Corinthians Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    A good analysis of our first four games using data.

Also including the graphics for Finalizações Sofridas and Lado da Posse de Bola, which are discussed at length in the video. Our defensive system really stands out.

Attached Files:

Century's Best repped this.
  12. MerlinRM

MerlinRM Member+

May 5, 2014
    NorthEast USA
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    I agree Tite should be given at least another 2 years. But I don't see him bringing in a plethora of new players to prep for 2022 and that makes me nervous. I'm not trying to see Paulinho still getting called up the year before the World Cup. Can he integrate players like Arthur( who confirmed he is going to Barca right now) into the squad?

Unfortunately CBF is run by mobsters and dumbasses. If we lose today, I don't see him keeping his job.

13. MerlinRM

MerlinRM Member+

May 5, 2014
    NorthEast USA
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Same, I can barely finish my coffee at work because my stomach is doing backflips.

Redshift repped this.
  14. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    I think he can. Keep in mind he only had 2 years to work. He didn't have time to try too many different players.

I am just not sure he will want to stay. I think he may miss the day to day club life.

15. Century's Best

Century's Best Member+

Jul 29, 2003
    USA
    Tite having done such an amazing job despite the questionable characters at CBF makes his work all that more impressive. It is unfortunate that CBF would reap the rewards of either a World Cup title victory, or if not that, Brazil's great run under Tite.

Tite is human; he may make mistakes. But he's an extremely studious manager and he will monitor the up-and-coming talents (if he keeps the job). Arthur for example; he has now officially left Grêmio for Barcelona, and I think this does lower Grêmio's chances of winning a Libertadores tetra this year. But Grêmio's loss is Barceona's gain, and I am certain Arthur will develop and reach the Brazilian NT - hopefully under Tite.

Redshift repped this.
  16. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    I don't think the politics affects Tite at all. It's as if CBF business and CBF football and completely separate entities. All players and coaches have stated that over the years (since the 90s) nothing has been spared for the team.

17. Century's Best

Century's Best Member+

Jul 29, 2003
    USA
    Good point. I was reading on UOL this morning that members of Tite's coaching staff have received everything they have requested from CBF, which is not usual in Brazilian clubs (admittedly because clubs don't always have the resources CBF has).

18. Mengão86

Mengão86 Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Brazil
    Nov 16, 2005
    Maryland, RJ/ES/PE
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Not all managers see them as separate entities. Tite even said as much prior to accepting the job. He was reluctant based off the potential scandalous activity and lack of a clear vision and plan that 2014 exposed.

19. Mengão86

Mengão86 Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Brazil
    Nov 16, 2005
    Maryland, RJ/ES/PE
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
  20. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Morally it isn't. What I am saying is that CBF's corruption doesn't affect NT footballing matters. The most we've had of corruption affect the team I think were the shady call ups to help sell a player which I think was actually influenced by whoever the coach was at the time and not CBF. Of course we have played BS friendlies just to make money, but that's part of the business and I don't think affected it from a footballing aspect that much.

All the coach needs is knowledge that there are no outside influences on his call ups and the necessary structural support needed to succeed.

21. Zacarías

Zacarías Member

Real Betis
    Spain
    Jul 19, 2017
    Sevilla
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    As an American of Portuguese and Mexican origin currently in Lisboa, I only have one thing to say… FORÇA BRASIL! You guys have by far the most complete and talented team in the tournament, plus I’d love to see you make a big turn around from what happened in Belo Horizonte. Your brothers from across the pond have your back and are pulling for you, just like you did for us in France two years ago! Vamos a seleção!

Redshift, MerlinRM and Century's Best repped this.
  22. Mengão86

Mengão86 Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Brazil
    Nov 16, 2005
    Maryland, RJ/ES/PE
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Fellaini and Chadli to start in place of Carrasco and Mertens. Get ready for our aerial defense to be tested early.

23. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Faaaaaaaak