Pre-match: Copa do Mundo 2018: Brasil vs. Suíça, 17 de Junho de 2018

Discussion in 'Brazil' started by Century's Best, Jun 11, 2018.

1. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Without Neymar , the rest won’t shine. Plain and simple. Didn’t expect gim100% , but expected him to be in better shape.

2. Estuardo A. Lopez

Jul 9, 2014
    Club:
    AC Milan
    The game was so bad that I thought that Dunga was coaching Brazil again. Truly a pathetic performance. Thankfully it was only the first game. Hopefully Neymar is OK. Brazil really needs him now more than ever. This BS (wishful thinking, really) that Brazil can survive losing Ney is wrong, really wrong.
    Also, why did Tite take Renato Augusto? He seems "not fit" and a bit overweight, no?

3. Bezhusan

Bezhusan Member

Atlético Mineiro
    Brazil
    May 30, 2018
    Renato Augusto was embarrassing. He doesn’t belong in the world cup.

4. IVO !

IVO ! Member

Feb 25, 2009
    RIO AND CHICAGO
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    A clear push off foul on the Swiss goal, and a clearer than day PK on GJ.
    FUK !!!!
    What’s the point of video review if it’s not being used !!
    Well, now we have to beat Costa Rica and getting up at 5am.

5. Kaka10725

Kaka10725 Member+

Jun 1, 2007
    The one mistake Tite did today was having us take our foot off the gas after we scored. Why did we try to preserve the lead? Swiss didn’t really threaten our defense which was a wall. Casemiro, Silva and Miranda was excellent IMO. Coutinho did a good job in midfield IMO. Everyone else was poor. Neymar needs to show up for us to go far in this.

The loss of Alves was evident in this game as we had no creativity coming from the right side.

6. Estuardo A. Lopez

Jul 9, 2014
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Watching the game again.
    Brazil allows the Swiss to take the ball, why? Was this on purpose? WTF! I think many of us thought that not taking Arthur was a mistake and I think a game like today shows us that the Brazil midfield is quite limited. To me putting in Renato Augusto was a bit of a panic move on the part of Tite because RA seems safe and secure and someone who has "been there" with him before.

7. Estuardo A. Lopez

Jul 9, 2014
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Renato Augusto f*cking sucks. He is not in good enough shape to play for Brazil. I officially name RA as the FRED (from Brazil 2014) of this Brazil World Cup team.

8. XaviandXabi

XaviandXabi Member

May 4, 2005
    CT
    #133 XaviandXabi, Jun 17, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 17, 2018
    If it means anything, I remember thinking this team sucks when they beat Croatia in 2014. With this team, despite the disappointing result, I can see the potential to be a lot better and stronger.

And say what you guys want about Renato Agosto, true, the selecao can get a better player, but he did a lot better than Paulinho in this match.

Kaka10725, Ombak and Redshift repped this.
  9. IVO !

IVO ! Member

Feb 25, 2009
    RIO AND CHICAGO
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Perhaps this is a blessing in disguise by meeting Mexico in R16 instead of Germany.
    And I am super confident this team will improve as the tournament moves forward.
    Vamos ficar tranquilo.

10. XaviandXabi

XaviandXabi Member

May 4, 2005
    CT
    Are you crazy? Mexico always gives us problems.

11. tpmazembe

tpmazembe Member

Jun 13, 2002
    The Midfield (S.Fla)
    Agree.

Disappointing outing, but no need for panic at this point. Some of the anticipated flaws manifested themselves and will need to be worked out. Tite will now have opportunity to show that he is worthy of all the praise that has been heaped on him to this point.

Some non-linear thoughts from the game:

Neymar is clearly off rhythm and timing. However, Tite needs to stick with him through the transition to full match fitness. Brazil isn't winning this without him. My only frustration is when Neymar insists on proving he is being fouled by letting his marker continually shove him on a single possession....just release the ball. Otherwise, at this stage I don't fault him for not being able to get pass his markers as he usually does in one-on-one situations. By the third game he will be much better.

Offensively the Selecao is unbalanced; or, more precisely, heavily weighted to the left axis. Marcelo-Coutinho-Neymar have each other on the left with whom to associate and triangulate. Willian can't count on same level of touch from Danilo-Paulinho on the right. This in not an indictment on them, that's not their forte (even on their best days they aren't those sort of players). When you add that to his defensive duties, Willian is going to die of overwork as he is trying to create without true associates with whom to triangulate. If Tite stays with this line-up more effort should be made by Coutinho to cover the right side of the field as well.

The midfield is what it is. No single player on the roster will drastically improve it. Tite's winning run during SA qualifications was with a workmanlike trio (Casemiro-Paulinho-Renato Augusto), leaving the creativity to the front three. With a less than match fit Neymar, Coutinho definitely helps with creativity but weakens the coverage capacity of the midfield. It was something to see the Swiss team dominate the midfield for most of the second half. Not acceptable. Will be interesting to see what Tite decides to do here for Costa Rica.

VAR should have been used on the Swiss goal, but to tell you the truth, that has been a goal since I first played football back in the stone age. At least we will be able to point to this specific non-VAR review later on in the tournament when the inevitable "FIFA always favors Brazil" lament pops up. You play enough games and some calls will fall your way and some against you.

Gabriel Jesus needs to score in next game.

Doc_Exec, Redshift and celito repped this.
  12. Bezhusan

Bezhusan Member

Atlético Mineiro
    Brazil
    May 30, 2018
    I agree with all those points. The unbalancing of the offense worries me, this was not an issue when Dani Alves was healthy. Tite will need to figure this out, otherwise the better teams will shut down our offense.

I’m very bummed out by this game, I expected much more. Marcelo’s game worries me, today he turned the ball over 20 times, that is not good at all.

I thought Tite was not a good in game manager today as well. His subs failed big time, and RA is clearly over his head in this WC. The problem is, there is no one in the squad to fix this.

13. IVO !

IVO ! Member

Feb 25, 2009
    RIO AND CHICAGO
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    #138 IVO !, Jun 17, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 17, 2018
    Are you crazy?
    Where the FUK were you 4 years ago?
    In any event, it’s not guaranteed yet. Mexico can still not win the group as Brasil can still win the group.
    Long way to go.

14. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    I've never seen Neymar not seek the ball and when he got it be so passive. Looks like he is not nearly as ready as I thought or he has something else wrong going on.

First 5 mins the Swiss were doing good with the pressure, but that was OK. We always start slow. After that we did well until the 1st goal. Then, I don't know what happened. I expected us the control the game fairly easily. The Swiss didn't look good dangerous to me. But we completely conceded possession and didn't threaten in the counter attack. We only regained some edge later in the 2nd half. I am really surprised by this struggle against a team like Switzerland. Expected much more.

15. IVO !

IVO ! Member

Feb 25, 2009
    RIO AND CHICAGO
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Neymar is off rhythm I will agree, but he,as the team will improve as the tournament goes forward.

16. IVO !

IVO ! Member

Feb 25, 2009
    RIO AND CHICAGO
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    And the Swiss are ranked #6 in the world for a reason, and they haven’t lost a game in how long? 1 1/2 years now?

17. Ombak

Ombak Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Apr 19, 1999
    Irvine, CA
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    I feel like this forum is overreacting a little. Funny considering how measured the press reaction has been so far.

We're still favorites to take 1st place in the group. I expect we will. I'm more worried about it than before the game, sure, but there's a long way to go.

I also thought Renato Augusto was surprisingly useful when he came in. I wouldn't have minded Douglas Costa either, but I suspect if we had been up 2 that would have been a better option - to spare Neymar and keep the counters dangerous.

I was disappointed in Neymar overall and Gabriel Jesus. Marcelo's turnovers too. But Coutinho impressed (he has been doing a lot of work since being moved to the middle and did it again today). The central defense was solid. Gabriel Jesus, despite being mostly absent, should have had a PK in his favor called when he finally woke up. Firmino looked really good coming in.

Let's see how Tite handles this sort of adversity. After all, winning 10 in a row when he cam in made his draws and the 1 friendly loss largely irrelevant as we were still on that high.

celito repped this.
  18. Redshift

Redshift Member+

Dec 14, 2004
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Corinthians Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil

Agree with pretty much all of this. The unbalanced, almost exclusively left-sided attacks made our offense predictable and more susceptible to being shut down. I hope Tite can figure something out with the pieces we have, but it definitely sucks not to have Daniel Alves.

I'll start to really worry if we can't maintain the defensive padrão de jogo without simultaneously working out some the offensive kinks in the next game.

19. IVO !

IVO ! Member

Feb 25, 2009
    RIO AND CHICAGO
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    I am also confident we will win our group. Good wind against Costa Rica and Serbia should do it.

20. IVO !

IVO ! Member

Feb 25, 2009
    RIO AND CHICAGO
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    For 40 days my world and my life stop for the World Cup.
    Tomorrow’s matches:
    Sweden vs South Korea, 7:00am
    Belgium vs Panama, 10am
    Tunisia vs England, 1:00pm
    All times CST

21. Brilliant Dutch

Brilliant Dutch Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Oct 14, 2013
    Amsterdam, Holland
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    I also wanna add there's no way Mexico will be able to repeat the pace they showed against Germany for all 7 WC games. That would be unheard of. I have never seen a team do that, and I've been following the WC since 1974

22. Kaka10725

Kaka10725 Member+

Jun 1, 2007
    If I’m Tite, I leave the starting eleven as is. No need to panic and make a bunch of changes. Give them 45 mins and evaluate.

celito repped this.
  23. Kaka10725

Kaka10725 Member+

Jun 1, 2007
    The right side creativity improves with a better performance from Willian.

24. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    That was a foul on the Swiss goal, but that was Alison's ball. The header was inside the small box literally under his nose.

Lockeroom and Kaka10725 repped this.
  25. Emperor Adriano

Emperor Adriano Member+

Jun 17, 2009
    Utica NY (the refugee city)
    Club:
    Santos FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    I watch brasileirão where everything is a foul and that wasn't a foul call their. You are being a Homer. It was slack marking and a feather of a push. Any rational gk thinks that's defenders ball. 6 yellow shirts two red , come on lol