Copa do Mundo 2014: General Discussion (Group Stage) [R]

Discussion in 'Brazil' started by Mengão86, Jun 10, 2014.

1. Century's Best

Century's Best Member+

Jul 29, 2003
    USA
    The last time they played, Argentina defeated Switzerland 3-1. Shaquiri scored the lone goal for the Swiss. Let's see what happens this time.

2. Emperor Adriano

Emperor Adriano Member+

Jun 17, 2009
    Utica NY (the refugee city)
    Club:
    Santos FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Did I go to MLB.com ?

NotreDameFlamengo repped this.
  3. NotreDameFlamengo

Jul 25, 2011
    Raleigh, NC
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
  4. Emperor Adriano

Emperor Adriano Member+

Jun 17, 2009
    Club:
    Santos FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    BREAKING: Kevin-Prince Boateng and Sulley Muntari have been indefinetely suspended by the Ghana Football Association and ordered to leave their FIFA World Cup camp in Brazil.

I guess Sully Montari making it rain in Maceio ruffled some feathers. Typical african teams... unneeded drama over payments.

5. omajac

omajac Member+

Feb 9, 2002
    East Orange, New Jersey, USA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Today

Germengo 3-0 USArinthians (the 'Manaus curse' strikes)
    Ghana 3-2 Portugal

Belgium 2-1 S.Korea
    Russia 3-1 Algeria

6. omajac

omajac Member+

Feb 9, 2002
    East Orange, New Jersey, USA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    And I'm gonna predict the same score will happen Tuesday!!

7. Guigs

Guigs Member+

Dec 9, 2011
    Club:
    Vasco da Gama Rio Janeiro
    Plenty of time to recover, and I really think that has nothing to do with it. It has more to do with the teams that played in Manaus after they played there faced off against good opposition.

England vs Uruguay
    Italy vs Costa Rica
    Cameroon vs Brazil
    Croatia vs Mexico

is anybody expecting the US to beat Germany or Portugal to beat Ghana? Cause I'm not.. but I'm not blaming Manaus for it either.

8. Guigs

Guigs Member+

Dec 9, 2011
    Club:
    didn't Fred miss the shot? I remember it going past his boot hence being that messy play in the box... and weren't you looking for Paulinho runs? did you see the other 2 times he made runs forward, one they passed it to the side and the other Fred cut off his ball?

what is it, if the end result is not the desired the effort doesn't count?

9. Guigs

Guigs Member+

Dec 9, 2011
    Club:
    Problem is people tend to forget film.. like the 3 plays I've mentioned where Paulinho got a ball taken from him by Fred when he was in a scoring position waiting for the pass, and the play where Fred missed the shot and ended up becoming a scramble in the small box after the paulinho run into the box and low cross.

because people don't want Paulinho to do well they tend to forget anything he does and subconsciously not see him, everyone remembers the play of Fred on the floor.. nobody remembers how the ball got there for example.

@Mengão86 your eye test completely ignored what you didn't want to see which was paulinho doing his usual job.

10. Mengão86

Mengão86 Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Brazil
    Nov 16, 2005
    Maryland, RJ/ES/PE
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Fred didn't miss the shot. The defender had smothered the ball already and the reason it wasn't counted as a pass was because the defender had touched it first. Also, Paulinho's run wasn't counted because he was already in the final third when he made that short run to receive the ball to cross the ball. One play does not erase his horrible performance.

11. Guigs

Guigs Member+

Dec 9, 2011
    Club:
    Conclusion losing or being tied late (Argentina's case) makes you have less injuries

I remember one time I saw a report on how often GKs in the Brasileirao go down on injuries, and at home they have 2x the injury time and while ahead on the score they have almost 3x

12. Guigs

Guigs Member+

Dec 9, 2011
    Club:
    did you see the other 2 plays? Fred stopping the ball going into an unmarked paulinho, and his run in the middle of the pitch behind the defender, which then the ball was played instead wide to Dani Alves i believe.

13. Mengão86

Mengão86 Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Brazil
    Nov 16, 2005
    Maryland, RJ/ES/PE
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Right. Everyone has arbitarily singled out Paulinho to blame everything on :rolleyes: Just like I've been picking Alves on purpose for all of these years, picking on Hulk, etc.

Paulinho wasn't doing his job and hasn't been for three games. I guess he didn't pass Felipao's eye test either, which was why he yanked him at halftime. You are the only one looking for the smallest of things to "praise" him on while ignoring all of the crap he has done.

14. NotreDameFlamengo

Jul 25, 2011
    Raleigh, NC
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Suarez is done for the Copa. 9 games suspension.

15. Guigs

Guigs Member+

Dec 9, 2011
    Club:
    Felipao has been giving him the eye test since they have arrived in Granja... He choice was to stay with Paulinho and Hulk.

And yes people do look for the 1 player to blame on every team, come on now that's the most common thing. I love reading people's reactions in comments for UOL and Globo.com because you get a lot more real reaction from fans (short of fanatics: person filled with excessive or single minded zeal) and here are some gems..

Rodrgo
    há 8 dias
    Me desculpem,mas falar que o BRASIL jogou bem?fala serio neh Onde estão os craques brasileiros?Os elasticos?os dribles?a raça?o desempenho? Deve ter ficado ou esquecido no campo de treinamento,pq sinceramente na hora do jogo...jogaram muito mal(FRED,OSCAR,NEYMAR,MARCELO ETC)O time inteiro estava completamente desentrosado e estavam de mal com a bola. Parabens ao OCHOA,mas infelizmente os chutes brasileiros foram todos em cima do goleiro e isso aumentou o seu brilho como goleiro. Mas vamos aguardar os proximos jogos e torcer pra que nao haja outros OCHOAS,rsrs.

Jean Felipe
    há 8 dias, respondidohá 8 dias
    PARABÉNS AOS MEXICANOS!!!Só o SALÁRIO do Neymar e do Fred PAGA A SELEÇÃO MEXICANA INTEIRA!Só o Chicharito ganha razoavelmente bem.Os torcedores e jogadores mexicanos CALARAM A BOCA dos comentaristas da BAND que disseram ontem a noite que o Brasil iria golear!CHUPEM!!

Jacques Oleander
    Digitei Neymar no google e minha conexão caiu...

Tácito Guerra
    há 8 dias
    SÓ VEJO UMA LUZ NO FIM DO TUNE PARA ESSA SELEÇÃO TER ALGUMA CHANCE DE GANHAR O MUNDIAL... TIRARIA O FREDE COLOCARIA O HULK EM SEU LUGAR, E NO LUGAR DO HULK COLOCARIA O BERNARD... E HERNANES NO LUGAR DO PAULINHO E MAICOU NO LUGAR DO DANIEL ALVES... SELEÇÃO: JULIO CESAR; MAICOU; DAVID LUIS; T. SILVA; MARCELO; L.GUSTAVO; HERNANES; OSCAR (WILIAM); NEYMAR; HULK; BERNARD

Gabriel Martins
    há 8 dias
    Melhores e piores da copa até o momento 1-ALEMANHA(campeã) 2-HOLANDA 3-ITÁLIA 4-ARGENTINA 5-COSTA RICA .............30-BRASIL 31-NIGÉRIA 32-IRÃ

Igor Cunha
    Na minha opinião Brasil precisar de um cara ali no meio que pense o jogo, que faz a bola correr esse cara se tivesse jogando bola atualmente seria o Ph Ganso e outra , Paulinho e um bom jogador mais o Hernanes ta num melhor momento !

Jacques Oleander
    Quem é Willian? Nunca vi esse cara jogar em lugar nenhum. Tocou na bola quantas vezes? Quantos jogos tem pela seleção antes da copa? Será esse o novo Rivelino, Sócrates, Rivaldo, Juninho ou Ronaldinho Gaúcho por acaso?

I mean.. the level of just stupidity of the popular opinion is so grand... But I do enjoy the comments, they are comical.

Then you look at the popular and unpopular voting on UOL...
    Unpopular
    Henrique 62.4%
    Maxwell 43.8%
    Fernandinho 38.6%

and pretty much until Hernanes came into a couple of games and did nothing, everyone wanted Hernanes in place of Paulinho... now it's Fernandinho in place of Paulinho...

I've already said it, if Paulinho goes Hulk needs to go with him so they can shore up the mid.

16. Emperor Adriano

Emperor Adriano Member+

Jun 17, 2009
    Club:
    Santos FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Just because people will write anything on the internet doesn't mean Diego Silva can play Guigs. This Paulinho argument is pretty ridiculous. I feel like you are just debating to debate like those debate teams in school or you are trying to filibuster congress.

17. Century's Best

Century's Best Member+

Jul 29, 2003
    USA
    If Uruguay fails offensively against Colombia and their run ends against the cafeteros, Luis Suarez will bear much of the blame. He can score, as he showed against England. But without him, Uruguay may not have enough firepower against Colombia. And if that's what happens, he'll have tons of regrets for getting himself banned.

18. Guigs

Guigs Member+

Dec 9, 2011
    Club:
    Ok i'm done with the debate then, because you guys are starting to sound like those posters from UOL and Globo...

HERNANES!! AWWW NOOOO NOW FERNANDINHO!!! DOWN WITH NEYMAR!! NEYMAR IS GREAT AGAIN!!! OSCAR RAWWWWWWWRRRR WHERE IS WILLIAM!!?!?

19. NotreDameFlamengo

Jul 25, 2011
    Raleigh, NC
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Theres a difference in the people that were ripping Neymar before the Confed and were calling for Oscar to be removed, than the people who watched Paulinho's play and came to the conclusion he should be removed. Will you group Felipao in with all the over-reactionary and drama-queens if he replaces him for the Chile game?

20. Mengão86

Mengão86 Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Brazil
    Nov 16, 2005
    Maryland, RJ/ES/PE
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Talk about over reactions and generalizing......

21. Redshift

Redshift Member+

Dec 14, 2004
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Corinthians Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Lol @ Germany's away uniform. They look like Flamengo. I wouldn't be surprised if they planned that deliberately to get neutral support.

22. Century's Best

Century's Best Member+

Jul 29, 2003
    USA
    Some have jokingly called Germany "Germengo" thanks to this uniform.

Redshift repped this.
  23. Kaka10725

Kaka10725 Member+

Jun 1, 2007
    The Uruguay FA should punish him as well.

24. Emperor Adriano

Emperor Adriano Member+

Jun 17, 2009
    Club:
    Santos FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    #1274 Emperor Adriano, Jun 26, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 26, 2014
    So much for everyone's opinion of Portugal on here lol. Acting like they were going to get demolished by Ghana :whistling:

25. Kaka10725

Kaka10725 Member+

Jun 1, 2007
    Who had that opinion? Portugal has been pathetic this tournament.