Copa: Barca - Zaragoza; game 1 [R]

Discussion in 'Barcelona' started by krazbo, Jan 24, 2006.

1. krazbo

krazbo New Member

Sep 23, 2003
    Ljubljana, SI
    Its time to start a thread for our next game. We play in Copa on thursday 21.00 CET. I guess this wont be an easy match while Zaragoza is in great form. They were very unlucky not to win their last game. I think we are going to have problems with especialy if we are going to play without some top players. It will be interesting what line up Rijkaard will put out. If wea re going to play without Van Bommel it will be interestong to see who will start in the midfield next to Iniesta. It will be also interesting to see if Ronnie is going to play or will Ezquerro start.

I guess line-up will look like:

Jorquera
    Belletti Puyol Oleguer Sylvinho
    Gabri Edmilson Iniesta
    Giuly Larsson Ronaldinho

I would be very happy if Ezquerro starts instead of Ronnie and that Puyol is rested. Anyway, it will be hard to win a match but we are in fine form and everything can happen.

2. evil_allan

evil_allan Member+

May 3, 2004
    Turtle Island
    do you think ronaldinho could play in midfield?

ezquerro------larsson-----giuly
    --------dinho------iniesta-----
    ------------edmilson----------
    gio--oleguer-----puyol--belletti

might be worth a try

3. krazbo

krazbo New Member

Sep 23, 2003
    Ljubljana, SI
    I think not for one reason only. Ronnie is an attacking player who dont know how to cover space and play defensivly. For the good of the team Ronnie shouldnt play in Deco position ;) I think Rijkaard know that. Perhaps its time that guys from B squad prove them selfs.

4. acmilan_barcelona

acmilan_barcelona Nou Camp-San Siro

May 11, 2002
    Barcelona Monteserat
    Yes he can as he used to play that position. Actually central-attacking mid is his natural position but is it a long time since he played that role. May be in his first season with us and also a season with PSG before he was moved to forward.

I was also thinking that he will partner Iniesta in central-mid. I expect some Barca-B players to also get a chance to play.
    This will be however a tough match since we play against a team that has nothing to lose.

Players to watch out for will be Diego Milito and former Dortmund brazilian attacker Ewerthon. May be another brazilian attacking midfielder Savio-former Real Madrid. Keep an eye on Diego Milito in defence.
    i think we can get a 2-1 win.

5. krazbo

krazbo New Member

Sep 23, 2003
    Ljubljana, SI
    Van Bommel wants to play and is ready for Zaragoza match accoring to EMD! Its just a question if Rijkaard is prepaired to risk him.

6. Godinho10

Godinho10 BigSoccer Yellow Card

Aug 19, 2005
    Puyol and Giuly out for today's game.We could have given Puyol rest another day..Zaragoza at home is dangerous.Giuly at La Masia trying to shoot on goal.

7. krazbo

krazbo New Member

Sep 23, 2003
    Ljubljana, SI
    Source????

8. krazbo

krazbo New Member

Sep 23, 2003
    Ljubljana, SI
    Yeah, I found it too :D

Here is a list of players for Cup match:
    Valdés, Jorquera, Márquez, Edmilson, Oleguer, Belletti, Gio, Sylvinho, Gabri, Iniesta, Van Bommel, Ronaldinho, Messi, Ezquerro, Larsson, Maxi.

I am very happy that Puyol is getting rested. He needs the rest, he is human after all (superhuman, but human in its basic ;) )

9. Lucho-the-Legend

Nov 9, 2004
    Philadelphia
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    I completely agree with resting Puyol. They play 14 games in the next 45 days. It would be good to sneak a game here and there to ensure he will be healthy for the big matches of the upcoming 14 (Chelsea(2), Valencia, Osasuna, and Deportivo). Hopefully Dinho is ready to sit down and take a breather, same goes for players like Marquez who don't really rotate with anyone.

10. astabooty

astabooty Member

Nov 16, 2002
    China
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Diego is the forward and the newer brother to the team. Gabriel is the defender.

11. acmilan_barcelona

May 11, 2002
    Barcelona Monteserat
    Thanks for the correction, i meant Gabriel another player i rate highly. On the other hand Diego has been thier main attacking threat this season.

I think every one is happy that finally Puyol gets a rest. I would have been more happier if Van Bommel wasn`t selected for this match, i still believe he is not match fit to be risked in this match. It might be a very physical game.
    Gabri might get to start this one.

RM are through to the semis courtesy of a 1-0 score line, Espanyol is also through however Valencia had thier match suspended. May be we will see a replay or Depor will match on.

12. krazbo

krazbo New Member

Sep 23, 2003
    Ljubljana, SI
    Game preview by Goal.com:

Rijkaard takes his charges to La Romareda, where his team were knocked out of the Cup two years ago, plunging his Barcelona career into crisis. That, along with the controversial and volatile 2-2 draw at the Nou Camp in October, should ensure plenty of action, before, during, and after the match.

BACKGROUND

Much of the talk has centred around revenge, and Rijkaard's attempted denial has done little to help. “It is certain that they eliminated us, and that could be considered an additional factor,” he said, before adding, “But we cannot live in the past, and must look ahead.”

He then went on to describe Zaragoza as a team with an intelligent coach, a well-defined system that the players know, as well as one that has a great record at home.

Victor Muñoz returned the kind words, crediting Rijkaard with building a team now winning almost as if due to inertia. But by choosing to mention the controversial Ronaldinho penalty that saw Barcelona sneak a late late draw in October, he played his part in fanning the flames.

Barcelona, in deed, are looking to win for the sake of habit. With the rumours surrounding Milan's interest in acquiring Rijkaard's services being given short shrift, the focus has been squarely on booking a place in the semi-finals of the competition. They will be without Deco, Puyol, Xavi and Eto'o for the first leg on Thursday.

Zaragoza might be the perennial mid-table team, but they are seldom near the bottom of the table despite the lack of financial resources. Besides, they have this tendency to save their best for the likes of Barcelona, Real Madrid and Valencia.

In Victor Muñoz, they have a master tactician, who enjoys preparing for the big games, and knows how to get the best out of the resources at his disposal. He has already led Zaragoza to the Copa Del Rey title, two years ago, beating Barcelona and Real Madrid on the way.

As the first challenging away game since the Champions League draw was made, and a leg of a knock-out tie at that, the match will also give us some insight into how well Barcelona have been preparing for the volatile reception they will get at Stamford Bridge in a month's time.

Will their defense hold firm, especially on the break? Will they convert their possession into goals in a high pressure situation? Will the lack of height come to haunt them against a team that like taking the aerial route? These are some of the questions that might be answered, even if only partially.

FORM GUIDE (all competitions)

Zaragoza: WDWWWDWL
    They had gone two months unbeaten prior to Saturday's loss to Atletico Madrid, and that just about says it all.

Barcelona: WWWWWWWW
    A nineteenth consecutive win in the offing, but one which will have to be earned against an in-form team, away from home.

PREVIOUS MEETINGS

Their last meeting, in early October at the Nou Camp, ended in controversy as Barcelona came back from two goals down to earn a draw, thanks to a penalty that never was. Barcelona dominated the first half without scoring, and came out all fired up in the second half. Almost too fired up! The tables turned thanks to a clever break and a poorly defended corner, and before one could blink, the Milito brothers had made it a really grim night for Barcelona. 0-2.

With the Catalans struggling to get through, it was looking like Zaragoza would credit themselves with the upset of the year. But then, Ronaldinho fell in the box to earn a late penalty. Replays showed that Zaragoza were more than a little unlucky, but a lengthy delay and lots of bickering later, Barcelona had pulled one back. With only minutes remaining, Zaragoza chose to sulk about that decision, and pay they did. Eto'o snuck onto a loose ball with the defender and keeper both admiring each other, and coolly slotted it into an empty net. 2-2.

The draw might have been fair given the amount of possession Barcelona had enjoyed, but the way it was obtained was talked about long after the encounter. The disputed penalty was replayed again and again, with Ronaldinho being accused of almost every sin in football, for the better part of the following week. Both Ronaldinho and Zaragoza should have something to say about it on Thursday!

TEAM NEWS

Zaragoza: Victor Muñoz has no injury worries, and should stick with his favoured 4-2-3-1, as well as his first team. Diego Milito will be supported by Cani, Ewerthon, and the young Oscar Gonzalez, who has relegated Savio to the bench. The midfield should consist of Zapater and Celades, with a four man defense led by Gabriel Milito protecting Cesar between the posts.

Barcelona: Rijkaard has decided to rest Puyol for the first time this season. With Deco suspended, Eto'o in Africa, and Xavi out injured, that's four first team players missing. Larsson, Van Bommel, Iniesta and Oleguer will take up the vacated spots, with Belletti taking up Oleguer's place on the right. Valdes will also be rested as Rijkaard continues with Jorquera for the Cup matches.

PLAYERS TO WATCH

Zaragoza: Diego Milito
    Jose Pekerman mentioned him as a possible candidate for Argentina's World Cup squad, and given Argentina's problem of plenty, that says a lot about his present form. His pace will test Barcelona, especially in the absence of Puyol, and his aerial presence should give us some insight into how much damage Drogba will do a month from now.

Barcelona: Andres Iniesta
    Watch out for him in a Xavi-like role against Zaragoza. Rijkaard has been having special sessions with him to train him to curb his forays up front, and use his vision to control the game from midfield. With Deco and Xavi missing, and Van Bommel hardly an organizer, so to speak, the onus will be fairly and squarely on him to dictate play at La Romareda.

PROBABLE LINE-UPS

Zaragoza: 4-2-3-1. Cesar – Ponzio, Alvaro, Gabriel Milito, Toledo – Zapater, Celades – Cani, Ewerthon, Oscar Gonzalez – Diego Milito.

Barcelona: 4-3-3. Jorquera – Belletti, Oleguer, Marquez, Gio – Iniesta, Edmilson, Van Bommel – Messi, Larsson, Ronaldinho.

PREDICTION

Barcelona will have trouble turning their possession into goals, and Zaragoza might enjoy hitting back on the counter, and take the lead. Barcelona's winning run to come to an end here, but a late equalizer to leave it with all to play for in the second leg!

Zaragoza 1 – 1 Barcelona.

13. acmilan_barcelona

May 11, 2002
    Barcelona Monteserat
    This is going to be a tough match and we better take our chances because they might not be many. it looks like it will be a closely contested match and very physical i can feel this coming guys. It is always tough to play against a team with nothing to lose, Zaragoza know that this is a great opportunity to claim some silverware.

We miss Deco and Puyol and Eto`o plus Guily, still we have a better team to win this match. Good thing is that we have a return leg to play.

14. Catfish

Catfish Member

Oct 1, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
  15. LarsSon

LarsSon New Member

Feb 11, 2005
    Sweden
    Radio commentary in Spanish? Oh god, no idea to click that link.

16. Catfish

Catfish Member

Oct 1, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Do I detect a hint of sarcasm? LOL.

17. LarsSon

LarsSon New Member

Feb 11, 2005
    Sweden
    Nah, but can't the spanish speak swedish just one game for me. I've been so nice this year. :)

18. elchico

elchico Member

Dec 13, 2003
    Lebanon
    Hah...a draw they say in the preview? Hah, I pity the fools... 19 game winning streak ending in Zaragossa? Don't think so...chalk up number 20 for this one.

19. Godinho10

Aug 19, 2005
    I wish Manolo Oliveros the barça narrator was as good as Manolo Lama the madrid narrator.

20. Godinho10

Aug 19, 2005
  21. Catfish

Catfish Member

Oct 1, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
  22. Catfish

Catfish Member

Oct 1, 2002