News: Copa America Realignment: Positive impact for Gold Cup

Discussion in 'Gold Cup' started by gringolimon, May 11, 2017.

1. gringolimon

gringolimon Member

Club Bolívar
    Bolivia
    Sep 12, 2007
    White Plains, NY
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    This news is mostly about the South American tournament, Copa America, but it does affect indirectly the Gold Cup. I apologize for this post for those not interested. Have a good one everyone!

After reading various online legitimate newspapers on this matter (both in English and Spanish; from both South American and Europe), I'm 99% sure that this is how it's going to go down from now until the next 2 decades at least...

Starting with this upcoming 2019 Copa America, which will be held in Brasil, all future tournaments will have 16 nations participating. The tournament in Brasil will be the last one that will be held in an odd year. In order to 'reset' the tournament right away and have it coincide with the Euro (apparently FIFA is in favor of this because European clubs will have to release their international players only one summer instead of two consecutive summers), they will have a Copa America in 2020 in the USA (because, among others things, of their financial success with the Copa America Centenario 2016). As for those who are questioning what kind of teams will the European nations bring for 2019, I think that being how this Copa America will probably be the only and last tournament (at least for while) that will have European nations, I'm thinking that these nations would love to 'steal' one from South America; wouldn't that be a punch in the face, especially in Brasil of all place. Anyway, going forward, Conmebol will introduce a new scheduling format as to who will host the subsequent Copa Americas, which on a personal level, gives me hope... IMHO, Bolivia's 'rotational' spot was taken away unfairly and so I hope this 'reset' will give Bolivia an opportunity to get it back and get it back soon... hopefully as soon as 2024!

If this is accurate, then I don't think there will be another 'Copa America Centenario' for a while (at least by name, host, and if it would ever return) but I think the 2020 Copa America will mirror the Centenario from 2016 and it will be just a great, if not better, since it will once again not 'compete' with the Gold Cup so USA, Mexico, and other North and/or Central American nations could bring their 'A' team if they chose to do so. In fact, since the Copa America would now fall in an even year, USA, Mexico, and company could continue to bring their 'A' team (again, if they chose to do so).

From a level of play standpoint, I think this a great move as every continental tournament will potentially have the 'A' team for every participant. What's more, starting in 2020, when we don't have the summer of the World Cup, we can enjoy two tournaments of nations every summer and it would most likely be more competitive than before.

This 'guaranteed' 2 tourneys every summer (with the highest level of play) would include the League of Nations that Europe will be introducing in 2018. It will be a promotion/relegation type of tournament that will have it's 'pool stage' from September to November and it's 'Final Four' competition in June. There are talks of Concacaf (and I'm sure Conmebol would soon follow afterwards) in creating their own League of Nations. If this happens (I'm sure it will), this will be eliminate 'friendlies' and their 'lack of importance. All those events plus the World Cup qualifying matches, it pretty much guarantees a higher level of competition/tournaments for us to enjoy every year.

To get a visual idea of what I'm talking about, this is what it would look like...

2017 Gold Cup / Confederations Cup
    2018 World Cup / League of Nations (UEFA Pool Stage)
    2019 Copa America Brasil / Gold Cup / League of Nations (UEFA Final Four)
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    2020 Copa America USA / Euro
    2021 Gold Cup / Confederations Cup
    2022 World Cup / League of Nations (UEFA Pool Stage)
    2023 Gold Cup / League of Nations (UEFA Final Four)
    2024 Copa America / Euro
    2025 Gold Cup / Confederations Cup
    2026 World Cup / League of Nations (UEFA Pool Stage)

2. themodelcitizen

Jul 23, 2000
    BMO Field - Sec. 114
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    If European teams are invited in 2019, it may be the top teams who aren't still alive in the Nations League last 4. Have to imagine Portugal and Spain would be priority invites.

Technically France and the Netherlands have land in the Americas as well :)

3. themodelcitizen

Jul 23, 2000
    BMO Field - Sec. 114
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    ...as well as Denmark and the UK (ie. England), I'm just realizing.

As for a revamped schedule, I'd be in favour of dropping the Gold Cup that's the same year as the 2021 Confederations Cup as it inevitably results in a Mexican or American 'B' team showing up (we're also missing top regional players like Keylor Navas).

Expand the 2019 and 2023 Gold Cups to 16 teams with a potential group or matchday held abroad (Caribbean, Panama, Costa Rica etc). Look to hosting in June to maximize player availability, although 2019 squads may be affected by Copa América Brazil invites.

Then in 2020 have another intercalated Copa América in the US running alongside the Euros. Can expand to 24 teams, which actually means more tournament opportunities for CONCACAF teams over the 4-year cycle than currently exist. Consider some daytime games in the northern cities.

2021 can be rejigged to accommodate more WCQ or Nations League fixtures.

The regularly scheduled Copa América plans to move to even numbers from 2024 Ecuador onwards, which would mean the intercalated Copa América can take a few years off as the US/Can/Mex gear up for hosting the 2026 WC. Then consider having it in the same year as the Confederations Cup from 2029 onwards.

4. ATLfirefan

ATLfirefan Member

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 8, 2005
    Norcross, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think it would be cool to have the four semifinalists from the 2019 Gold Cup receive priority invites to the 2020 Copa America. It makes the Gold Cup valuable for teams outside the U.S. and Mexico (who are the only two who ever really win the thing) who wouldn't otherwise have the chance. Then, you can have two at-large invitees.

Revolt repped this.
  5. themodelcitizen

Jul 23, 2000
    BMO Field - Sec. 114
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Been thinking way too much about this. With the Copa América moving to even-numbered years from 2024, and the talk of scrapping the Confederations Cup, I think we could re-jig the schedule so it would start fresh in 2029 with a new rotation:

2018: World Cup
    2019: Copa América/16-team Gold Cup
    2020: Joint 24-team Copa América in the US
    2021: Confed Cup
    2022: World Cup
    2023: Gold Cup
    2024: Copa América
    2025: the last Confed Cup (no point having a joint Copa América this year as the US will be prepping for...)
    2026: World Cup in the US, Mexico, and Canada
    2027: Gold Cup
    2028: Copa América
    2029: Joint Copa América
    2030: World Cup in Argentina and Uruguay with the centennial final at Centenario

From 2029, the 4-year cycle will repeat itself. No Confed Cup, and only one Gold Cup every four year cycle (the joint Copa effectively replaces it, expanding to 24 to allow 14 CONCACAF teams).