Copa America possibly moving to the US due to COVID

Discussion in 'TV, Satellite & Radio' started by SirFozzie, May 26, 2021.

1. SirFozzie

SirFozzie Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 17, 2001
    Franklin, MA

While it wouldn't affect the start times , you can imagine that certain TV parties would be very happy to see this.

Of course, moving a tournament on two weeks notice is... difficult.

2. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    Especially in COVID times. (I'm wondering if there are quarantine requirements for travelers from South America at this time - I would suspect so.)

That said, it almost has to be moved at this point (or simply cancelled altogether). I mean, doesn't make sense to suspend the domestic league right before the end of the season, and then invite players from all over the world to partake in a month-long tournament.

3. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Univision and FOX executives are dancing in the streets if this happens.

I mentioned in other threads but they should just host it all in Florida. Many games would sell like hot cakes even in short notice in Miami, Boca Raton, Miami Gardens, etc.
    It is not close to South Florida but Tampa could be a good stadium too.

4. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The incorrectly named University of South Florida (USF) is in Tampa and uses Raymond James Stadium.

5. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I'm just spitballing, but:

Orlando (NCAA football and MLS), Jacksonville, Miami (MLS and NFL), Tampa, Gainesville and Tallahassee all have stadiums which could be used.

Even if teams had to fly charter planes, it could be done. It's just under eight hours from Miami to Tallahassee (basically at opposite ends), but teams could probably be put into zones to minimalize travel. "North-based teams" would play each other, as would "south-based teams." They could do the final somewhere sort of central like Tampa or Orlando.

6. unclesox

unclesox BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 8, 2003
    209, California
    Club:
    FC Barcelona

7. Redbullsnation2012

May 26, 2010
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    This is gonna be a mess

8. SirFozzie

SirFozzie Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 17, 2001
    Franklin, MA
    They just announced that Argentina will NOT host. So it's either Chile or the US

9. Gyro62

Gyro62 Member

Jan 1, 2017
    Or more likely they cancel it.

10. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    Should know more by the end of today/ Monday. If the US hosts I hope the ticket prices are more reasonable than 2016. Logically they should be since there is less demand , less time to sell.

Of course, moot point for me if its all played in FL but am hoping its spread out a bit more than that.

11. Roti2000

Roti2000 Member

Apr 27, 2012
    CONMEBOL just announced the tournament will be held in BRAZIL.

No mention of date changes....

12. unclesox

Mar 8, 2003
    209, California
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Every time I get the feeling CONMEBOL have no idea what they're doing, they confirm my suspicions even more.

13. alexolympiacos

Mar 5, 2010
    Club:
    Olympiakos Piraeus
    Wouldn’t be surprised if they play one half in Sao Paulo and the other half in Rio.

14. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Sao Paulo denied them the opportunity to play games there.

It is mostly going to be played in Stadiums that do not have Club teams participating in their local championship.
    Brasília, Goiania, Cuiba, Rio.

15. alexolympiacos

Mar 5, 2010
    Club:
    Olympiakos Piraeus
    It was my attempt at a joke. What I wanted to say is one half of a single match in one venue and the second half of the same match in another city.

Since CONMEBOL keeps changing countries by the second.

16. unclesox

Mar 8, 2003
    209, California
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Fwiw...

(!) :eek:

17. Roti2000

Roti2000 Member

Apr 27, 2012
    Im watching Ven v. Brasil via Fox on DVR. Is it just me, or is their use of artificial crowd noise just really poorly done?

I get that it is hard going up against the scene in Europe where there are live audiences, but at this point in the pandemic it just seems like a tired gimmick.

I think the fact that they haven't shown soccer in like a year shows they are a bit rusty.

18. Art Deco

Art Deco Member

Dec 10, 2009
    Nice to see FS2 on Colombia-Ecuador using the world feed announcers and graphics

Redbullsnation2012 repped this.
  19. daniloni

daniloni Member+

Tottenham Hotspur
    United States
    Jul 17, 2013
    Oakland, CA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Too bad. I remember watching "La Mano de Tulio" at a cheap Seville hotel at like 3 am.

20. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    The fake crowd noise being used for this tournament is the worst I've seen since the start of the pandemic. So unnatural-sounding.

21. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY

I only started watching the Copa closely when the knockout stage began but their audio has been consistently 2 or so seconds behind the video. This makes the fake crowd noise sound even worse. But yeah... it isn't good to begin with. Cheers erupt, for e.g., when a team plays a short corner. lol

Regarding the FOX on-air "talent", one anchor man went into a Borat voice during the halftime of Uruguay - Colombia game! :eek:

He did a good Borat impression I've gotta say, but ... come on! There's a time and place to do the Borat voice.

22. matty311

matty311 Member

Jul 2, 2003
    Pittsburgh
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Is Fox Sports putting in the fake crowd noise, or is that part of the local production in Brazil sent out to the world?

23. danielmak

danielmak Member

Sep 26, 2004
    off the purple line
    Fox has no understanding of baseball games. They schedule a game on FS1, think that game will end in time for a 1-hour pre-game. As it stand, the baseball game is going to run so long that Copa America will start on FS2. Ridiculous. If a baseball game takes that long, you've got to move the baseball game. And I say this as a baseball fan. But as a baseball fan that I have come to the conclusion that baseball on TV is close to unwatchable these days. Even with the men on base during extra innings, which I love, innings 6 - end seem to take 2+ hours.

24. danielmak

danielmak Member

Sep 26, 2004
    off the purple line
    And to top it off, Fox must have hired BeIN's engineers. The metallic looking grass and metallic shadows on players faces from too much (or too little?) compression on the image was ridiculous.

25. socceraction

socceraction Member+

Oct 20, 2000
    I recorded the Copa America Final on FS1 (2am start for me). My first exposure to the tournament on Fox. Let me put it this way: realizing that Fox has the next 2 World Cups, if I didn't have choices, I'd have to consider offing myself...

SA

Statman, BocaFan and Redbullsnation2012 repped this.