PBP: Copa America Other Games PBP/General Thread [R]

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by ImaPuppy, Jun 4, 2016.

1. posteador

posteador Member+

Dec 29, 2006
    Lincoln, UK
    Remains to be seen how much Tite will improve them and of course if they qualify, but yes, I'd like to avoid them, also Germany, Argentina and Italy... which is why I stressed the importance of getting a seeded spot. Better odds to avoid these teams.

Damn now you got me talking about potential groups in Russia and we still need to qualify!!!

2. posteador

posteador Member+

Dec 29, 2006
    Lincoln, UK
    They still do it. The Netherlands defended this way against Alexis in our third group stage match in the 2014 World Cup. Alexis couldn't get anything started cause he was fouled as soon as he touched the ball. The trick is to make little trips far away from the area. That way they are not immediately yellow cards for stopping a counter and they are also poor positions to take free-kicks from. Van Gaal gave a defensive master class, I don't think we had more than one shot on goal despite hoarding possession. In retrospect he did amazing considering how the Netherlands dropped as soon as he left.

3. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    In NTs, the coaching is much more important than in clubs. The players don't spend enough time together to ever work as a well-oiled machine, and they can't reach their true potential.

Hence, it's left to the coach to devise a system that uses their best abilities to the best effect.

4. dna77054

dna77054 Member+

Jun 28, 2003
    houston
    The Dutch team in that game absolutely disgusted me. ********ing cynics and cowards. Not long after the game I looked up the match stats and Holland committed more fouls per minute against Chile than they did in their butchering of Spain in the 2010 final. I laughed my ass off when those hacks got eliminated from Euro qualifying.

What hell has become of Holland? The battle of Nurenburg in 2006 vs Portugal, hacking the shit out of Brazil and Spain in 2010 and hacking the shit out of Chile in 2014. They can go the way of Hungary for all I care. When did you ever think one could look back over a 10 year period and see Uruguay as a cleaner team than Holland. Well here we are.

I really would like to see a rule change that would address the constant fouling of the variety employed by Holland.

5. posteador

posteador Member+

Dec 29, 2006
    Lincoln, UK
    I don't know... I'm sort of ok with tactical fouls as long as they are not malicious and injury inducing (god knows we use it as well against Messi and Argentina against Alexis)... but yes, refs should keep an eye on those that commit more than two or three of those little trips/pulls. Some refs are better than others at keeping track of things like this.

I also was expecting a frenetic back and forth match against the Netherlands, but they no longer play that way. :(

6. dna77054

dna77054 Member+

Jun 28, 2003
    houston
    I am ok with the occasional tactical foul, but when tactical fouling is the first, second, third priority of a team and they do it the second the opponent connects two passes in the their half of the field it is too much.