Copa America Centenario ticket prices outrageous!

Discussion in 'Copa América Centenario 2016' started by italiancbr, Feb 4, 2016.

1. Denilson70

Denilson70 Member

May 29, 2001
    England
    It does seem that way this time....I can't ever recall a major football tournament being 'ticketed' this way. Oh well.

2. tudobem62014

tudobem62014 Member+

Feb 26, 2014
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    The women's world cup 2015 was ticketed this way. Just a way to ensure the most people in the stands and revenue. I'm probably stating the obvious, but if you are the person who must have good seats... you have to pay the cost of the opportunity by buying more tickets than u need. Then the people who want single game tickets will be allowed to get those at a higher price and later time. So you also have the benefit of knowing where you will be before those people and book your flights and accomodations for cheaper. The single game tickets for the WWC were double sometimes quadruple the cost from the direct ticket portal right before the game as compared to the venue pass prices.

3. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    Even though I'm often amazed at how high prices for stuff are getting, I seriously doubt individual ticket prices are going to be notably higher than the venue passes (per match). The semis and one or two appealing group games might be exceptions, but there's just no-way Jamaica v Venezuela sells for any more than $300/ticket once people are able to buy individual match tickets.

I think the organizers for the tournament have gotten a bit cocky. They think US-based fans are soccer starved and will pay anything to watch a live match. Some truth to that I guess, but that logic has its limits. I mean if I was Jamaican and super desperate to see my country, I could still fly to Jamaica to watch them pretty much any time I want. Once the price of these 2 choices becomes similar, its pretty obvious that this Copa no longer provides a unique opportunity.

4. Chinombre

Chinombre Member

Feb 4, 2016
    Venue pass sales must be s-l-o-w...just received an email blast from organizers: "Top 3 Reasons to get your Pasadena venue pass". They're touting Neymar, James, and Chicharito as the reasons to buy passes...three players whose participation is in doubt due to Olympics etc. I've included a screenshot.

Also, I know people are pining for individual matches to go onsale, but I think organizers will hold out as long as possible, to ensure that less popular matches (Jamaica/Venezuela etc) are at least paid for (probably not attended) by those who've purchased a venue pass.

Attached Files:

5. M

M Member+

Feb 18, 2000
    Via Ventisette
    I've been plugging in a couple of price points for Santa Clara venue passes into Ticketmaster for over a week now. It repeatedly offers me the same "best available" seats in each category. I guess it doesn't "prove" sales are slow but it certainly makes me wonder that. Personally, I think the ticket prices are ludicrous as well, especially given we don't know what kind of teams will actually show up. I will be going the secondary market route and pick up what I think is reasonably priced.

6. Chinombre

Chinombre Member

Feb 4, 2016
    Yeah sounds like a smart move. My friends and I overestimated what demand would be like, so we grabbed Pasadena venue passes. Though it'd been our intention from the start to attend the first few matches (w/Brazil & Colombia) and then sell off the Mexico match. But some of the matches in the other packages are laughable for the prices being asked..

7. FallOfFingolfin

Mar 5, 2009
    Illinois
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Meanwhile, the cheap seats at Euro 16 are €25 for group stage and round of 16, and €45 for QFs, €65 for SFs, and €85 for the final.

8. Chinombre

Chinombre Member

Feb 4, 2016
    Just read on Facebook that March 15th is the last day to buy venue passes. Then individual matches go onsale March 22nd.

HomietheClown repped this.
  9. Chinombre

Chinombre Member

Feb 4, 2016
    Individual tickets are on sale. Prices for the Pasadena matches START at $110...yeesh.

10. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    And then folks wonder why some people root against the growth of soccer in the U.S.

11. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    What is that supposed to mean?
    This is an event that has been Created by CONMEBOL and CONCACAF.

12. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    That may be, but the ticket prices are mainly a result of the competition being staged in the U.S.. Notice the prices for that Int'l Champions Cup preseason stuff are also very high. Do you think if the tournament was staged in, say, Colombia that the prices would be anywhere near this high (even if it was a 100th Anniversary and even if it involved both confederations)??

13. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    That has to do more with economical differences and supply and demand.

14. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    Well, another poster just provided us the ticket prices of Euro 2016 further up on this page. The Copa prices are in the neighbourhood of being 5 times greater! I mean, if I walk into a bar in France and the price of a pint of beer is 5 times more than in New York, I'll just walk straight back out. At that point, I stop caring what the reason is. Hence, my earlier remark about not wanting the sport to become big here....

15. Chinombre

Chinombre Member

Feb 4, 2016
    This cracks me up: right now the cheapest Jamaica/Venezuela ticket on Ticketmaster is $110 or $9 on Stubhub.

16. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    There's the demand/supply effect kicking-in. Not to mention a reality check.

17. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Apples and oranges in my book.

A Copa America never happens in the USA. This is a once in a life time thing more than likely.
    A Euro happens every 4 years in Europe.

18. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    The Euros are held in different countries every 4 years. Okay, maybe its a twice-in-a-lifetime opportunity for France residents.

We both know if MLS was the world's best soccer league, the prices would be insane! At least compared to what they are in Spain, Germany and even England now.

19. tudobem62014

tudobem62014 Member+

Feb 26, 2014
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    buy LEVI's venue pass. break up pass. free ticket to Uruguay Jamaica ($15 value =P for 100 level... cheaper than a tour of LEVI's lols)

20. Paul Ryu

Paul Ryu Member

Nov 19, 2012
    Toronto
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    I'm selling United States vs Costa Rica - Chicago - Sec 143 row 3 x 4 tickets ($225 per ticket).
    Awesome seats! Let me know.

pryu_2000@yahoo.ca

21. Bryan_velezsoto

Bryan_velezsoto New Member

Feb 25, 2016
    Club:
    Atletico Nacional
    I am selling one ticket each at face value for the following games:

Uruguay vs Jamaica

Quarterfinal (1C vs 2D) Most likely Uruguay/Mexico vs Argentina/Chile

22. Fedechat

Fedechat Member

Argentina
    Apr 30, 2014
    South Florida, USA
    I hate how many new/old users don't f*** care, there is a Ticket Exchange thread, but they keep posting on every active thread.

Does anybody got their tickets yet? I bought a bunch of Venue tickets in the first phase, but not tickets yet.

23. tudobem62014

tudobem62014 Member+

Feb 26, 2014
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Haven't gotten mine either

24. tudobem62014

tudobem62014 Member+

Feb 26, 2014
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    World Cup tickets came late April?

25. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    I think it is not fair to compare things to the World Cup only because the World Cup has relative stability.

This tournament was in doubt for many, many months so things should be on a different time table.