Copa America Centenario 2016

Discussion in 'Ecuador - National Team' started by barcelonista1981, Jan 27, 2016.

1. The Machine

The Machine Member

Oct 19, 2009
    Club:
    Emelec Guayaquil
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    Injuries probably had something to do with it. I remember his suffering a pretty significant injury during his time with LIga. I could be wrong and I may be confusing him with someone though.

2. b9d23m89

b9d23m89 Member

Jun 27, 2004
    house on the hills
    Club:
    Liga de Quito
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    No, you're right. I had forgotten that as well. He did suffer a big injury during his time in Liga.

3. b9d23m89

b9d23m89 Member

Jun 27, 2004
    house on the hills
    Club:
    Liga de Quito
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    I don't see Mena doing well in Mexico for some reason, but I've heard rumors as well. I think Gonzalez best bet IF possible is to return to Independiente. Sornoza in that aspect was smart. It was a tough 6 months for him at first, but he picked it up towards the end of the 2015 season and started of 2016 doing really well and back on his flow. I think Gonzalez should consider doing the same if it's an option. During his time in Independiente, there's no doubt I saw him as a future NT player.

The two guys that have gone on decline in their careers that had potential are Marlon De Jesus (especially him) and Marcos Caicedo. I hope Gonzalez doesn't go down the same route. Another guy is Jose Ayovi. In all their cases it was injuries and bad timing. I hope Gonzalez can get out that funk while he has time. He's still only 20 years old.

And is it just me or do we lack quality upcoming wingers now? I don't see any.

4. The Machine

The Machine Member

Oct 19, 2009
    Club:
    Emelec Guayaquil
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    #79 The Machine, Jun 3, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 3, 2016
    Just goes to show that talent alone only gets you so far. That kid had all the attributes to be a quality striker - size, strength, speed. I fully expected back then that he'd be starting for us by now. I still remember the 4 goals he scored on Elizaga in one game.

I was a big fan of Jose Ayovi. BSC screwed him over if I'm not mistaken. I don't remember the specifics but I know he had problems with them.

Caicedo was way too inconsistent. He'd go on a stretch where he'd be one of the best players on the pitch only to follow that up with an equally as bad stretch. He could never put it together for an entire season. Caicedo and De Jesus were part of the U20 team that qualified to the U20 World Cup. While their careers haven't gone as expected one player who was part of that squad and is playing well is Walter Chala. He's leading the league in goals. Andres Ona, another member of that squad, is also playing at a decent level.

5. GPisco

GPisco Member

Jul 22, 2014
    Toronto, On
    Club:
    Barcelona Guayaquil
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    Ecuador looks likely to use Dominguez; Paredes, Erazo, Achilier, Ayovi; Montero, Noboa, Gruezo, Valencia; Enner y Bolanos tomorrow.

6. bourne1

bourne1 Member

Jun 21, 2015
    Croatia
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    I don't know for you guys, but seeing our NT against Columbia and Brazil in blue jerseys really suck. Yellow is our color. Tomorrow, I think Brazil will play in yellow and we in blue. It's unfair. I don't like when we wear blue jerseys

7. b9d23m89

b9d23m89 Member

Jun 27, 2004
    house on the hills
    Club:
    Liga de Quito
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    I agree with all the comments you made on those players. And YES, I was about to bring up Walter Chala. What a come back! He was the one striker out of the three (Chala, Edson Montano, Marlon De Jesus) that was the least praised and he even disappeared for a while when he went to Russia's second division and then came back one season and failed in Cuenca. And now he's back in Cuenca and finding success. 15 games, 8 goals, 4 assists. Really good if you ask me. And he's still only 24 years old. I remember him being the youngest of the 3 strikers of that U-20 squad if I'm not mistaken. He's right on time. If he had one last chance to prove himself it was at this age. Prime age for a striker to start blowing up.

Funny how the tables can turn. Maybe he can continue impressing, but he still has a way to go. Let's see how he finishes this season. Maybe he can make a jump at some point to the Mexican league which wouldn't be bad for him.

8. b9d23m89

b9d23m89 Member

Jun 27, 2004
    house on the hills
    Club:
    Liga de Quito
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador

It's exactly what I would go with. Wouldn't expect any different. Those are the 11 best we have. There can be debates back and forth about Achilier, but truth is maybe Quinteros doesn't want 2 slow defenders. Achilier complements Erazo because of the fact that he has pace and explosiveness. That's important when we gotta defend on a counter. I just hope I see the Achilier of the first 4 Qualifier games. That was freakin awesome performances from him. The best I've seen frankly. I think even Guagua played in one or two of those games and did pretty damn well. I think it was against Venezuela. Had me shocked.

9. b9d23m89

b9d23m89 Member

Jun 27, 2004
    house on the hills
    Club:
    Liga de Quito
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    I honestly think the last 3 jerseys since Copa America 2015 have been decent. I like the Qualifier one the most actually both the home and away. They are very simple. This Copa America one is fine to me. At least for the expectations I have when it comes to Marathon they actually did a good job IMO.

I wish Adidas could take over one day. Wishful thinking.

10. fafaco

fafaco Member+

Jun 16, 2015
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    I think what he was trying to say, is that we have bad luck when our team wears the blue away jerseys..

11. Luigi408

Luigi408 Member

May 16, 2010
    San Jose, Ca
    Club:
    Liga de Quito
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    Man. This better be a good Copa America. I'm tired of looking like big time losers here. There is no excuse not to do good honestly. No major injuries other than Caicedo and everyone getting playing time. Maybe more team chemistry needed but this team has been playing together a very long time now. Ecuador has to step up. I'd say they better finish top 4 teams or bust.

12. fafaco

fafaco Member+

Jun 16, 2015
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    We just have to keep our faith in Achillier... :ROFLMAO: lol jk

13. fafaco

fafaco Member+

Jun 16, 2015
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    If I were DT.. this would be my line up.. Azcona, Juan Carlos Paredes, Arturo Mina, Frickson Erazo, Walter Ayovi, Noboa, Orejuela, Antonio Valencia, Montero, Miller, and Jose Angulo.

14. LDU4ever

LDU4ever Moderator
    Staff Member

Liga de Quito
    Ecuador
    Nov 21, 2004
    Miami, FL
    Club:
    Liga de Quito
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    Big day today...let's just hope that as we move forward tonight that the defense stands firm and alert. We also need to be VERY creative up front and preventing Montero from hogging the ball. Ugh. I can only hope...

Hoping we win (and win big), but can certainly settle for a tie.

15. Luigi408

Luigi408 Member

May 16, 2010
    San Jose, Ca
    Club:
    Liga de Quito
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    Ayovi is struggling badly. All deadly attacks are through him.

Jefe Esco repped this.
  16. Jefe Esco

Jefe Esco Member

Sep 7, 2010
    Bronx, NY
    Club:
    Liga de Quito
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    Smh swiss cheese defense

17. Primitive Ways

Primitive Ways Member+

Jan 30, 2009
    Florida
    Club:
    Barcelona Guayaquil
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    Chucha!!!

We are getting ********ed on the left.

18. Jefe Esco

Jefe Esco Member

Sep 7, 2010
    Bronx, NY
    Club:
    Liga de Quito
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    Smh a hobbled Willian is making Ayovi look foolish

19. Luigi408

Luigi408 Member

May 16, 2010
    San Jose, Ca
    Club:
    Liga de Quito
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    Ayovi is getting me mad.

20. Luigi408

Luigi408 Member

May 16, 2010
    San Jose, Ca
    Club:
    Liga de Quito
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    Other than W. Ayovi everyone is playing good. Naboa making some questionable passes and losing the ball a lot in the middle but he has recovered the ball well and saved us from a goal. Ecuador playing very well overall. Good game.

21. barcelonista1981

May 16, 2007
    GUAYAQUIL
    Club:
    Barcelona Guayaquil
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    In Walters defense, William would be just as lethal on Bagui, Ramirez, Pineida, Madrid etc etc, we should all be mad at Gruezo for being late at everything.

22. Luigi408

Luigi408 Member

May 16, 2010
    San Jose, Ca
    Club:
    Liga de Quito
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    Yeah Gruezo is playing very shaky. No way Ramirez would be playing as bad as Ayovi. He is sucking so bad. Even injured William owned him bad.

23. Primitive Ways

Primitive Ways Member+

Jan 30, 2009
    Florida
    Club:
    Barcelona Guayaquil
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    Enner is kinda shit.

Jefe Esco repped this.
  24. Jefe Esco

Jefe Esco Member