Copa America Centenario 2016: General Discussion [R]

Discussion in 'Argentina: Selecciones Nacionales' started by locoxriver, Feb 21, 2016.

1. SupaMario

SupaMario Member+

Aug 31, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA Tigre
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    First the gallegos losing and now the English losing to Iceland. Oh, it could've been such a lovely day.

cigar_city repped this.
  2. SupaMario

SupaMario Member+

Aug 31, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA Tigre
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
  3. Leon12

Leon12 Member+

Jan 5, 2006
    Man of the world
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Thank you Iceland for putting a smile on my sad little face.

4. Pekerman

Pekerman Member+

May 20, 2006
    good. bring simeone at all cost now.

5. afar

afar Member+

Apr 26, 2007
    Is Simeone available right now? If yes, then let's go after him or Pochettino right away.

Need to get Dybala and Icardi on this team right away; get Lanzini or some other playmaker, and get all of them gelling soon.

6. Burr

Burr Member+

Boca Juniors
    Argentina
    Jul 8, 2014
    Tampa, FL
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Simeone isn't "available" per se but he could choose to make himself available. Still working for Atletico at the moment.

7. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    How many other NTs have reached the final in four of their last five confederation tournaments and the most recent World Cup? I'm thinking the 2004 Copa final v. Brasil was the one Argentina probably should have won, up a goal with literally seconds left to play. The other losses were to Germany and Chile, sides that Argentina should consider as peers, Messi or no Messi.

I mean, yeah, there seems to be something wrong with the law of averages here, but it's not like coming second to Chile and Brasil merits any sort of overhaul. Please bear in mind that only one team returns home with the trophy. Argentina is a spunky, feisty team that's done very well, and there's no cause for alarm.

cigar_city and Burr repped this.
  8. SupaMario

SupaMario Member+

Aug 31, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA Tigre
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Sampaoli wants this job but he was just named the manager of Sevilla.

9. SupaMario

SupaMario Member+

Aug 31, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA Tigre
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Tata has not been paid in months. I don't think Cholo will like getting paid in magic beans.

Leon12 and Burr repped this.
  10. Primitive Ways

Primitive Ways Member+

Jan 30, 2009
    Florida
    Club:
    Barcelona Guayaquil
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    If it make you guys happy I won the WC as Argentinas manager and did it without playing Messi in a single game. (I think it was football manager 14)

fafaco repped this.
  11. Burr

Burr Member+

Boca Juniors
    Argentina
    Jul 8, 2014
    Tampa, FL
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You're hired!

12. fafaco

fafaco Member+

Jun 16, 2015
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    SMH.. lol

13. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    How much do you guys think Messi's decision is about his own personal struggles with dealing with Maradona's shadow and all the criticism that goes along with it from the fans / media versus internal issues with the AFA that he has alluded to ? I am not sure how much pressure he gets from fans / media, but it'd be pretty sad if he is giving up because of that reason.

14. Furnaccio

Furnaccio Member+

Feb 19, 2008
    New York, NY
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    sorry to see you guys lose last night - i was at the game.

while i know hindsight is 20/20 and there are so many players to choose from, i find it odd that a player like Pastore has yet to find a place in the starting 11 - he had a string of solid minutes in the 2015 copa america, but that's been it really....how come a player like him who is a playmaker can't seem to be one who pulls the strings for Messi, Aguero, Higuain etc.

ever since JRR left the team in 2008, i feel like that's the one consistent missing piece with argentina in every tournament is a playmaker....

pastore and thomas mueller both started with their respective national teams around 2010 and mueller is a stud for club/country while pastore is great at PSG....

appreciate any feedback.

unless you guys play against Colombia, i hope you guys can win it all in 2018....

ps - i hope Dybala can find a place in the NT after the olympics

afar and cigar_city repped this.
  15. fafaco

fafaco Member+

Jun 16, 2015
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    LOL.. i find it funny that after the final, We are all invading Argentina's forum.. You got Ecuadorians, Brazilians, and Colombians up in here.

afar repped this.
  16. Burr

Burr Member+

Boca Juniors
    Argentina
    Jul 8, 2014
    Tampa, FL
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's the power of Messi I think. He's done a lot to rehabilitate our image. Before we would get invaded by those looking only to mock us.

17. Burr

Burr Member+

Boca Juniors
    Argentina
    Jul 8, 2014
    Tampa, FL
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The one criticism of Pastore is he's soft, which is a bad thing in South America considering how physical games usually get. A few knocks here and there and suddenly all that playmaking disappears.

18. Moishe

Moishe Moderator
    Staff Member

Boca Juniors
    Argentina
    Mar 6, 2005
    Here there and everywhere.
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    After watching the mass exodus of players after last nights failure makes me respect Riquelme even more for going out on his terms and essentially telling Maradona and the AFA to get ********ed. To the poster that mentioned all the criticism that Messi has faced, it has been a lot but still a drop in the bucket compared to what Riquelme put up with. What a shit show we've become, no denying it.

Furnaccio, celito and Burr repped this.
  19. cigar_city

cigar_city Member+

Jun 20, 2005
    Likely where I should NOT be...
    Club:
    Newell s Old Boys
    @Moishe Luv you bro, but you are wrong on this one.

While I am not denying that Riquelme was the recipient of crazy amounts of vitriolic sh1t from the Argentine press and people, he at least had the benefit of undeniably being Argentino.

Messi perpetually combats the dual element of not even being "Argentino," in addition to the standard embittered attacks all successful Argentines who DARE to leave that sh1thole get from the folks back home.

At least Riquelme - a Boca player who would have thrived with River and frankly plays more like a Millonario than an Xenieze - had broad support from various factions of the Argentine press.

Additionally, the social media component and increased worldwide coverage - including the US - of players plying their trade in Europe makes the focus on the guys much more intense than it was when Riquelme was playing.

Messi has it worse, has had it worse and I don't blame him for wanting the fu(k out of this Argentine "shit show."

Just like Roman did.

afar, locoxriver and Moishe repped this.
  20. Furnaccio

Furnaccio Member+

Feb 19, 2008
    New York, NY
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    If JRR stuck with 2010 wcqs and you had a real manager you would have won that World Cup

21. Rattlehead

Rattlehead Member+

Barcelona, Inter Milan
    Argentina
    Jun 21, 2010
    Jakarta
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Or if he stuck in 2006 QF without being replaced when we're leading 1-0.

Burr repped this.
  22. Pekerman

Pekerman Member+

May 20, 2006
    if we play the "if" game then we could have won every world cup since 86

locoxriver and pepinointer repped this.
  23. Rattlehead

Rattlehead Member+

Barcelona, Inter Milan
    Argentina
    Jun 21, 2010
    Jakarta
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    But those new bloods will have a much smaller preasure because they've yet to be a megastar at their respective club. Granted Icardi has been league top scorer and Dybala has been star in last 2 years but compare that to what the current lot has achieved... especially the likes of Messi, Pipita, Kun, Di Maria, Banega etc etc... Masche is the only who's never effected and has always been strong mentally.

Think about how Messi run the defender like crazy back in the day... winning or losing, he never look afraid... in last 3 finals, you could tell he looks nervous. He could have scored against Belgium and Germany in 2014 and he didnt... just like in last 2 Copa finals.

24. Rattlehead

Rattlehead Member+

Barcelona, Inter Milan
    Argentina
    Jun 21, 2010
    Jakarta
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    #974 Rattlehead, Jun 27, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 27, 2016
    Yea its more of a disaster for Argentina because of our big history in the past and all those final failures after 1994.

I still stand on my opinion that Messi will return prior to next WC. Now he can skip the qualifier so the young guns can fight for the nation WC place. That way, Messi will also came into next WC without having burn out all his energy.

He played so many games for Barca since the club always run deep in CL and CDR. In 2014 qualifier, he played like every single game ! By the time we reached QF, all his energy has been drained.

25. Pekerman

Pekerman Member+

May 20, 2006
    yea insane how much he played 3 summers no rest, all tournament to the finals
    no wonder he cracked... I am confident he will be back

Also how is afa broke when they have adidas contracts, full stadium selling out and the most marketable players in the world ?????