Copa America Centenario 2016: General Discussion [R]

Discussion in 'Argentina: Selecciones Nacionales' started by locoxriver, Feb 21, 2016.

1. Christina99

Christina99 Member+

Argentina
    Sep 22, 2013
    Buenos Aires
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    All im gonna say is: TE BANCO MESSI!

Messi is greatness and Argentina probably doesnt deserve him.

Not in the mood to read haters or people happy about whats happening to ARG and Messi in other forums. Messi was always overly critisized in Argentina, despite being our MVP, top scorer, and the one who wanted it the most. He should have resign last year after all the criticism he got, but he wanted to win something with the NT so much....it didnt happen for him.

Whatever he does, he will always be the greatest player i ever saw playing with the NT, and no way the NT will be the same without him.

Thanks for everything, Messi

barcaq8, cigar_city and afar repped this.
  2. fafaco

fafaco Member+

Jun 16, 2015
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    Can I ask you a question? Did Maradonna get as much criticism as Messi did?I was born in 93, so I never got to see Maradonna play, unless it's on Youtube.. I think all star players get so much pressure put on them, it's ridiculous!

afar repped this.
  3. afar

afar Member+

Apr 26, 2007
    Triple rep. It is hard to read other forums right now, but you wrote my feelings exactly as well: thank you, Messi, for all that you have done for Argentina, thank you for your inimitable play for Argentina, thank you for caring for Argentina, and thank you for giving moments of both pure artistry and sadness.

Thank you for being the greatest soccer player ever.

Such is life.

I am excited about the new generation. Dybala, Icardi, whomever it may be --- Your turn now.

barcaq8 repped this.
  4. afar

afar Member+

Apr 26, 2007
    I was born in the 70's, so I followed each and every match of Maradona from the start of his career to the end.

Maradona was under humongous pressure pre-1986 World Cup. He was readily accepted as the best player in the world, and regarded as the only one who could challenge Pele for the greatest ever.

However, pre-World Cup, it was all about an unfulfilled prophecy.

He was also slammed after the 1982 world cup, a little unfairly, I thought, because he was man-handled that tournament, kind of like Messi yesterday.

Burr and fafaco repped this.
  5. Loco

Loco Member+

River Plate
    Argentina
    May 1, 2005
    Miami
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I'm glad I'm not the only old guy in this forum. I was alive and lived in Argentina for the '78 World Cup (but I am barely able to remember it b/c I was only 5 years old)

Look, Maradona is a complete jackass off the pitch, but just like a broken clock he is correct twice per day. Messi's character is not questionable, however, his mental toughness is -

I love watching Messi play and I rank him 2nd greatest Argentinean ever, but he should not have been the captain of the team. The guy who deserved it is Mascherano, and everyone knows that. When Messi is not the focus, he is at his best; as in Barcelona as in Argentina. The truth is that the load-pressure of carrying the Albiceleste crushes players like him and Riquelme.

The only way we (Argentina) can truly improve now is a revamp of AFA (get the corruption out) and bring in a coach that understand that the pressure of carrying the team cannot rest on one player.

barcaq8, afar and Burr repped this.
  6. Pipiolo

Pipiolo Member+

Jul 19, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I actually feel it's fine if any of these players retire, except Messi. And that includes Mascherano, a great warrior but Argentina just can't win with his play in midfield. Time to bring in a new manager and the next generation of Dybala, Lamela, Lanzini, Kranevitter, Correa, Catarbia, etc. Funes Mori did well all told, perhaps Pezzella or Musacchio can be a good partnership in center back.

Rojo needs to go, a shameful performance from a hot headed player who has not earned the right to behave like this. I don't like Fernando Fiore at all, but he was right that if you are a man up with 75 minutes more to play in regulation, DON'T give the ref a reason to even it out.

afar repped this.
  7. condor11

condor11 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 2, 2002
    New Zealand
    whats wrong with Masch's play in midfield? I thought he was outstanding yesterday

locoxriver repped this.
  8. Pekerman

Pekerman Member+

May 20, 2006
    Rojo got all ball wasn't even a bad challenge for a yellow. Chile pressuring the ref and play acting is what is shameful.

Messi should take a break anyway but he needs to be convinced back for the WC

9. aztlanaguila831

aztlanaguila831 Member+

Jan 24, 2011
    The Bay, Sinaloa and GTO
    Club:
    Club América
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    I really wanted you guys to win last night. Messi and Masche are noticeably hurt due to the result but should strongly reconsider. Out of all the potential retirements from the Arg NT, those two would hurt quite a bit and would not be easy to replace. Your guys' NT can always use Messi's playmaking ability and Masche's leadership and heart on the pitch. Higuain should never be called up anymore. It has become par for the course for him to miss easy put ins in a Final. Dybala or Tevez would've been much more productive than Higuain.

Even if Messi and Masche do indeed retire, you guys still have a lot of good young talent waiting in the wings. All isn't necessarily lost for la seleccion Argentina. The true question would be how would these youngsters respond to the monumental pressure that has been built up by the Argentine fanbase, legendary former players and media to win a championship.

cigar_city and afar repped this.
  10. Pekerman

Pekerman Member+

May 20, 2006
    Mascherano is the best defensive mid in the world but most teams now play with box-to-box mids. The problem is when you play him with another 1 or 2 defensive minded players like Biglia then you get end results of Messi being completely isolated going against 3 players. Even thought Chile didn't have many shots on goals, when they attacked they always had options because their team is drilled with Bielsa's complete football philosophy.

afar and Burr repped this.
  11. condor11

condor11 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 2, 2002
    New Zealand
    yeah true, but to me the problem in Argentina's midfield are the players that are placed in front of Mascherano...with him there you dont need another extremely defensive guy (like Biglia)

afar, locoxriver and Burr repped this.
  12. Burr

Burr Member+

Boca Juniors
    Argentina
    Jul 8, 2014
    Tampa, FL
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Higuain was productive, just not in the final. Tevez wouldn't have done better overall, but he might have scored on that chance. :p

13. aztlanaguila831

aztlanaguila831 Member+

Jan 24, 2011
    The Bay, Sinaloa and GTO
    Club:
    Club América
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    In all of these finals where you guys have come up short, you guys only gave up ONE goal, in extra time vs Germany in 2014. That is an insanely impressive job, defensively speaking. What has been needed is better finishing. Higuain has shown time and time again that the big stage is simply too big for him. A damn shame since he is not total garbage, like some people seem to think. It is just insane to think how much more silverware you guys would have if he would've put those one on one chances away.

afar, Burr, locoxriver and 1 other person repped this.
  14. RacingGirl

RacingGirl Moderator
    Staff Member

Jul 8, 2005
    SoCal
    Club:
    Racing Club de Avellaneda
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I could've sworn I'd seen Higuain and Medel sharing a hotpocket ...

As much as I love Messi, maybe it's time we stop depending on him to save us. And show what we have when he's not on the pitch. We don't deserve him :(

Fire all the tranfugas from AFA!

I will forever be greatful to Messi. (and miss the sh!t out him)

barcaq8, cigar_city, afar and 1 other person repped this.
  15. SupaMario

SupaMario Member+

Aug 31, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA Tigre
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Higuain is persona non grata, plain and simple. I did say I would give him the benefit of the doubt until the final and now I have my pitchfork and torch ready. I am sure I will find him at a All You Can Eat Buffet.

Albiceleste2010 and Burr repped this.
  16. SupaMario

SupaMario Member+

Aug 31, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA Tigre
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    #941 SupaMario, Jun 27, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 27, 2016
    If you cannot handle the pressure at the biggest stage, then, he is indeed total garbage. Marca came out with a top 10 epic misses from Higuain. Its not just at the national level where he chokes, its at the club level. Whenever there is any pressure on him, he just finds a way to choke. He deserves no sympathy, none. Go make your millions and have yourself a box of pizza. I wonder what his teammates are thinking of right now. I saw Messi's reaction to Higuain's miss, he put his hands on his head. You're a God Damn #9, you have to put those chances away.

Take notes, how to chip the GK.

What amazes me is the deflection that is supporters throw out there(Yes, there are still Higuain supporters out there, believe it or not). Pin the blame on Kun, had Messi scored the PK we would be up and the pressure would be on Chile. How you manage to miss chance after chance after chance is mind boggling.

cigar_city, aztlanaguila831 and afar repped this.
  17. Albiceleste2010

Albiceleste2010 Member+

Watford
    Argentina
    Jun 5, 2010
    Watford
    Club:
    Watford FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Sod off to your own forum and celebrate with the card wavers, simulators and cheats.

18. Albiceleste2010

Albiceleste2010 Member+

Watford
    Argentina
    Jun 5, 2010
    Watford
    Club:
    Watford FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Tosser.

19. Albiceleste2010

Albiceleste2010 Member+

Watford
    Argentina
    Jun 5, 2010
    Watford
    Club:
    Watford FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I lose all respect for Messi if he decides to throw it in. Unless this is a move to get the AFA to resign en masse through public pressure. There is a very promising generation of youngsters coming through that needs a few experienced heads around them to guide them.

The player I cry for and feel for is a lion, a king among footballers and the only one that gets into an all time Argentina 23 squad is Mascherano. He was superb again all match from beginning to end. The only pity is he was not allowed to put that ugly cheat Vidal in his place, six feet under the ground.

He is needed to educate players like Krane who has real promise. Although at his age Masche was already more accomplished.

locoxriver repped this.
  20. aztlanaguila831

aztlanaguila831 Member+

Jan 24, 2011
    The Bay, Sinaloa and GTO
    Club:
    Club América
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Point taken. Which is why I stated earlier that Higuain should no longer be called up to the Arg NT. Frankly, this should've come to pass a few years ago.

21. aztlanaguila831

aztlanaguila831 Member+

Jan 24, 2011
    The Bay, Sinaloa and GTO
    Club:
    Club América
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    As far as Messi, I think that maybe some time away from the NT would do him well, just so he can psychologically repair himself. Meanwhile, he can solely focus on Barcelona and when time passes, he can come back to the Arg NT as a much needed hero. For his own sake, I really hope he can return to the Arg NT. This is definitely NOT the way it should end for Lio at the International level.

22. SupaMario

SupaMario Member+

Aug 31, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA Tigre
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Segura is stepping down(No shocker since he was going to leave on the 30th). Things are going to get very interesting. Tata might resign as well, I don't think he will but I am hopeful.

Players retiring might be a way to sabotage the AFA

For the most part, the seleccion struggled without Messi in the early qualifiers.Now majority of the team calling it quits might be a way to twist the knife once it is inisde. If we manage to lose a game in the next round of qualifiers, it could put the team looking outside looking in. The further the team falls the more desperate the AFA is going to get. They simply cannot miss the World Cup. Economically it will be a disaster back home. Hundreds of millions can be lost. TV money, sponsorship, businesess will all lose out if the team does not end up going to Russia. It might be a protest for the players to hurt the federation and I cannot blame them.

Just a theory.

locoxriver, Burr and afar repped this.
  23. Burr

Burr Member+

Boca Juniors
    Argentina
    Jul 8, 2014
    Tampa, FL
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well at least we can point at England and laugh our asses off. They lost to Iceland... Iceland! :ROFLMAO:

SupaMario repped this.
  24. Sandinista

Sandinista Member+

Apr 11, 2010
    Buenos Aires
    Club:
    Racing Club de Avellaneda
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Post-Final Depression...

Por lo menos Inglaterra perdió con Islandia!

SupaMario repped this.
  25. Bytor

Bytor Member

Nov 26, 2007
    #950 Bytor, Jun 27, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 27, 2016
    Let's put things into perspective here:

Argentina is in sorrow because they have lost six major tournament finals since 1990. SIX.

Won a few Olympic golds and youth Championships since 1990. Has two World Cup titles and shitloads of Copa and youth titles.

England has been in a major tournament final ONCE. That was in 1966. Once.

Now they lost a QUARTERFINAL to football superpower Iceland (that has population of 300.000 people).

Things could be worse. :D

barcaq8, cigar_city, Auriaprottu and 2 others repped this.