Copa America Centenario 2016: General Discussion [R]

Discussion in 'Argentina: Selecciones Nacionales' started by locoxriver, Feb 21, 2016.

1. Burr

Burr Member+

Boca Juniors
    Argentina
    Jul 8, 2014
    Tampa, FL
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Can we hire that manager as an assistant for this summer? Lol

2. jimmi_moh

jimmi_moh Member+

Mar 30, 2009
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Only negative for me is exclusion of Garay , Dybala to olympics is a good move because i dont want yellow team to be in the podium for gold.

3. Rattlehead

Rattlehead Member+

Barcelona, Inter Milan
    Argentina
    Jun 21, 2010
    Jakarta
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I would, only for the final. Pipita will have no trouble scoring before that just like in qualifier, WC and previous Copa.

4. pipinogol

pipinogol Member+

May 20, 2016
    Club:
    Cary RailHawks U23
    Juventus no cede a Dybala para los juegos. Dybala dice que lo sabia hace un mes. Martino no lo convocó para la Copa aun sabiendo eso entonces.

Tatarado lo hizo de nuevo.

locoxriver repped this.
  5. locoxriver

locoxriver Moderator
    Staff Member

May 22, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Incredible......

SupaMario repped this.
  6. Leon12

Leon12 Member+

Jan 5, 2006
    Man of the world
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    WTF, so Martino on has not selected one of the most talented players in the world for the Copa squad and he won't be going to Rio either. Did he know this, what the hell is going on???

7. SupaMario

SupaMario Member+

Aug 31, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA Tigre
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Either two things need to happen or will happen.

One, Dybala needs to grow a pair of balls and tell Juve he's going to the Olympics. I am a big fan of the kid but he needs to follow suit in what Messi did in 08 which he basically forced Barcelona to let him go to Beijing.

Let's say Dybala doesn't do this then it basically forces Tata to take Icardi to the Olympics. It's going to be Icardi, Calleri. But if he takes Vietto instead of Icardi then you know how incompetent Tata is.

Something doesn't add up though. I don't know why Dybala is coming out now and saying this if he knew a month ago. I am sure it had to been relayed back to the AFA. I am going to be interested to hear what Tata has to say about this.

Inter don't have to release Icardi either since this isn't a FIFA tournament even if he is u23. Remember when FCB were fighting the AFA in 08, it went to the highest courts and they favored for FCB but Messi still went. I am sure there was some type of agreement because I believe we ended playing Catalonia a short time later at the Nou Camp.

Personally, if Dybala wants to go, he can force the hand of Juve. Plenty of clubs around the world will love to have him.

jimmi_moh repped this.
  8. afar

afar Member+

Apr 26, 2007
    The whole affair further highlights the incompetency of AFA. I just don't know how Tata didn't consult Juve and let them know of his plans?

9. Burr

Burr Member+

Boca Juniors
    Argentina
    Jul 8, 2014
    Tampa, FL
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What the heck does Juve have going on that's so important anyway? Ooh they have a game in July against the Melbourne Victory. Definitely need Dybala healthy for that one! :rolleyes:

10. Albiceleste2010

Albiceleste2010 Member+

Watford
    Argentina
    Jun 5, 2010
    Watford
    Club:
    Watford FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Dirty corrupt club as well. Shame Dybala is playing there. But as SM says he needs to grow some balls and tell them where to shove it. The blue and white stripes are better than those of a zebra. Has Martino got some hatred towards Garay ? Or perhaps another of those bizarre superstitious ideas. It is the 21st century but the AFA still doesn't have a decent network to keep track of all their kids.....

Useless organization run by twits and fools.

11. SupaMario

SupaMario Member+

Aug 31, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA Tigre
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    They basically want Dybala there for the start of the serie a season. It starts off on the 27/28 of August. The Olympics conclude on the 20th.

But like I said, if Dybala wants to go, he could force Juve to let him go. They have to keep their star happy. But I will wait and see what happens.

Edhardy repped this.
  12. Loco

Loco Member+

River Plate
    Argentina
    May 1, 2005
    Miami
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Sergio Romero, Nahuel Guzman and Mariano Andujar? . . . Gerónimo Rulli doesn't deserve a call-up over none of these guys?

Burr and afar repped this.
  13. SupaMario

SupaMario Member+

Aug 31, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA Tigre
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    http://www.football-italia.net/84823/dybala-‘juve-said-no-olympics’

“I’ve never had an opportunity to play in a tournament for La Seleccion, and it would have been nice to do it with my teammates,” Dybala told reporters as he arrived in Argentina after the Coppa Italia final on Saturday.

“Unfortunately it’s not down to me. I knew I’d have been in the squad for the Olympics, I’d spoken to Tata Martino, but Juve said no.

“My idea was to be part of the squad for the Copa America or the Olympics, but unfortunately it’s not to be. My club are betting on me and want me to be in top condition for next season.

“Juve weren’t in a position to let me go, and when I talked to them I understood their decision.”

--------------------------------------

I am disappointed to hear this from Dybala. It is indeed up to him if he goes or not, he's not showing any character by putting his hands in his pockets and obeying his master. But I sense he will still be going, Juve is going to be restructuring his contract in the summer. So, we'll see. Not sure when the list for the Olympics comes out but there still a bit of time.

cigar_city repped this.
  14. Rattlehead

Rattlehead Member+

Barcelona, Inter Milan
    Argentina
    Jun 21, 2010
    Jakarta
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Neymar will not play in Copa while Suarez is in doubt with hamstering injury. Although Brazil these days is still weak even with Neymar and we beat Uruguay in 2014 qualifier and previous Copa when they have Suarez... its still an adventage .... there's no excuse for Tata not to win this tournament no matter what.

Disapointed with Dybala situation but we'll see how it unfold ...

Bocatino, Burr and afar repped this.
  15. jimmi_moh

jimmi_moh Member+

Mar 30, 2009
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    There is a news coming out like , AFA trying to negotiate with juventus to release dybala for olympics .

16. atomicbloke

atomicbloke Member+

Dec 7, 2009
    Berkeley, CA
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Got tickets for the final at MetLife Stadium :D:D
    Hopefully the good guys will be playing in it :D

cigar_city, Loco and Burr repped this.
  17. Bocatino

Bocatino Member

Apr 18, 2007
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    When is the Olympic roster going to be released? Whatever happened to Ezequiel Ponce the 19 year old who went to Roma?

18. Bocatino

Bocatino Member

Apr 18, 2007
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina

He didn't have any excuses not to win anything with Barcelona either lol. If Argentina wins the cup we will be tied with Uruguay with the most wins of the cup.

19. locoxriver

locoxriver Moderator
    Staff Member

May 22, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Lavezzi and Pastore in doubt for the tournament due to injury.. Maybe they can sneak Dybala in through this?

20. afar

afar Member+

Apr 26, 2007
    Conflicting reports....one saying Dybala will be brought into the Copa following Lavezzi's injury, and then another saying that Dybala has been included for Olympics with negotiations with Juventus underway.

21. locoxriver

locoxriver Moderator
    Staff Member

May 22, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Both are right.. I think AFA is finally moving some strings to get him to play atleast one tournament.

Despite Dybala's statement about Juve not releasing him for the olympics, he was still included in the preliminary list that was presented by Martino today, so I think the main goal still is to get him to Rio this summer. However, if Juve continues refusing, I believe he'll replace Lavezzi/Pastore in the CA.

Basically Juve is being given the option of whether they want to release him in June or August

cigar_city, afar and RiverGaucho repped this.
  22. SupaMario

SupaMario Member+

Aug 31, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA Tigre
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I still don't get why Juve is throwing a giant hissy-fit. I remember at the start of the season Allegri was saying he wanted to gradually bring in Dybala... He was acting like he had never played in Italian football before, where he had spent 3 seasons in Italy where 2 of them were in the Serie A. Now they see him as their golden goose? Yes, it close to the start of the Serie A, but Juve should not have a problem winning. The CL should be their goal.

Personally, I would rather see him at the Olympics game in and game game out rather than him sitting on the bench, where Tata continues to change Kun for Pipita or Pipita for Kun.

I guess we should have an answer within the next few days.

23. RiverGaucho

RiverGaucho Member+

Jan 23, 2010
    Buenos Aires
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    There is a lot left to play out before the Olympics, but it appears that Kranevitter won't be allowed to go either. That with Simeone as Atletico's coach, a guy who played for Argentina 106 times and clearly loves the Argentina shirt. Should he also go on strike? Especially keeping in mind, he has barely played for them this season, I believe he played just 1 match in the run to the CL Final

The bottom line is, that these club's pay a lot of money for these guys, then pay them astronomical salaries and its their right not to let them go.

My club has 5 players chosen in the preolympic squad. Is it fair that we must give away 5 players for the start of the Argentine season just because we have the best youth system in Argentina and probably in the world? While a club like Boca has 1 player chosen because they buy all their players from else where? How is that fair?

As a River fan, I wouldn't want to take away the chance of any of our players of winning Olympic Gold- its a dream. Two players on our squad- D'Alessandro and Lucho Gonzalez- won it in 2004. Yet, is it fair we lose Battalla to be Rulli's back up for the olympics in the season where he'll be our starter? Is it fair that Maidana has been chosen at the age of 30 for an under 23 tournament? Why hasn't he chosen say, Cata Diaz or Insaurralde? Personally, I would not allow Maidana to go, and I hope D'Onofrio does the same. Its a tough decision for these clubs to make, and really its the tournament format that is to blame. Get rid of the over age player rule. Its absurd. Either make it part of the FIFA Calendar, or make it completely a youth tournament.

cigar_city repped this.
  24. SupaMario

SupaMario Member+

Aug 31, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA Tigre
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    To be fair, I can understand Cholo not allowing Krane to go, he was already selected to go to the CAC, so having to play in two tournaments might be a little too much. If it was just one, then there might be an issue.

I don't think it is an issue of fair or not. These type of tournaments, mainly for South American teams is a showcase to sell their talents. That is the bottom line, they don't have to let them go either but they are more than willing to let them go. Look at the brasilians, I sense they will be calling up a lot of players for both tournaments, especially those that are still playing at home.

As for the European players, it really comes down to the player. If he is a valuable asset then he could very well force the club to allow him to go. There needs to be a bit of give and take. It is a tournament that is played once every four years; for the case of Dybala, I think the LEAST Juve can do is allow Dybala to go after the season he gave them. Without him, I think it is fair to say they would probably be playing in the EL next season. Unfortunately, I do not think Dybala has the character of Messi who basically forced FCB to go.

As for the other players, you nailed it right on the head, it is basically depriving the team of winning a medal. Masche as far as I know is the only Argentino that has a gold in two different Olympics. When he was on stage to get his gold medal you could see the pure jubilation on his face as he kissed the medal. Pocho was up on stage goofing around as he was throwing the flowers up in the air and catching it and making the entire team laugh. These are aspects that stay with fans and the players forever.

25. Burr

Burr Member+

Boca Juniors
    Argentina
    Jul 8, 2014
    Tampa, FL
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Watching this friendly between USA and Ecuador and wondering how the hell we lost to these guys at home. :mad: