Copa America 2024?

Discussion in 'Colombian National Team' started by HomietheClown, Nov 17, 2022.

1. sidspaceman

sidspaceman Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 20, 2002
    AMÉRICA DE CALI
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    J-Mezzy repped this.
  2. Doogs

Doogs Member+

Dec 11, 2010
    Miami
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    even Dest knows this, although should mention that Dest isn't really american but rather Dutch

Froboy69, jay luis, lvbeto and 3 others repped this.
  3. Doogs

Doogs Member+

Dec 11, 2010
    Miami
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Btw we are still owed the copa america that was supposed to be hosted during covid times

But I'm sure they'll host it in the US instead

sidspaceman and J-Mezzy repped this.
  4. crzdcolombian

crzdcolombian Member+

Jul 17, 2006
    Avon,CT
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    wow... that's honest and how most fans feel about this. 2nd one in the past few years

sidspaceman repped this.
  5. jay luis

jay luis Member+

Sep 14, 2013
    Corona, Nyc
    Club:
    Deportivo Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    I like that he’s honest , I’m still waiting for mbappe to admit he was wrong about South American football lmao typical French arrogance

J-Mezzy and Froboy69 repped this.
  6. J-Mezzy

J-Mezzy Member+

Real Madrid
    Colombia
    Oct 14, 2013
    Orlando
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia

It was karma that he lost in the final to a South American lol

7. Froboy69

Froboy69 Member+

Inter Milan
    Colombia
    Mar 25, 2011
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    With the last world cup winners (Brazil) being in 2002 this guy had youth ignorance and didn't seem to remember/comprehend why South America is the only other continent to win the world cup.

8. r0adrunner

r0adrunner Member+

Jun 4, 2011
    London, UK
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    As I recall he said football is more advanced in Europe, which I don't think is controversial.

9. Kamtedrejt

Kamtedrejt Member+

Internazionale Milano
    Albania
    Mar 14, 2017
    Hamburg
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Albania
    #134 Kamtedrejt, Mar 2, 2024
    Last edited: Mar 2, 2024
    I watched some of Colombia's games in WCQ the other day. Here my thoughts:

I think Colombia have recovered and bounced back from the disappointing 2022 cycle. I see now a better coached team. Everybody knows exactly what he's got to do on the pitch.

For my money Colombia's main strength under Lorenzo is their excllent midfield press. It's very well corrdinated and well executed. The opposition isn't given any space and time to build up comfortably. Colombia win many balls back in midfield. They are very dangerous in transition. Once they regain possession they are very direct and look for Luis Dias and Jon Arias on the wings to penetrate. In general wing play is major element in Colombia's play. Especially Munoz contributes a lot to Colombia's attack with his runs and crosses / lay offs.

James may be not in his prime anymore but he's still a very instrumental player as he can keep the ball, slow down the tempo or set up plays with his vision. Borre up top hasn't been the best solution but at least he roams a lot and is also involved in the press. Everybody looks committed and you can feel that Colombia have been on a redemption arc. The defenders throw themselves into every shot etc...

Once the opposition manages to get over the press Colombian players are quick to track back and prevent the opposition from earning very dangerous looks on Colombia's goal.

Colombia's high defensive prowess gets highlighted in stats as well. 3 goals conceded after 6 games is impressive. Colombia's defence was preached only courtesy s header off a corner, a penalty that was caused because Colombian players had switched off for a moment and a brilliant Brazilian interplay in a tight space. The single major weakness I spotted is that Colombian defenders are error prone when they get pressed. Also there's not a whole lot creativity coming from the center of the park.

Overall Colombia are on the right path. They could have picked up more points. They could have played better away at Chile. Uruguay at home and Ecuador away they could have beaten these teams. Especially Uruguay.

In my next top 150 ranking which I'll publish later this month I'll have Colombia ranked 4th in CONMEBOL and 12th in the world. Furthermore Colombia are for me a dark horse for Copa America. Colombia have the capacity to reach the final if they play at their best level.

lvbeto, Azucarero, Doogs and 1 other person repped this.
  10. Doogs

Doogs Member+

Dec 11, 2010
    Miami
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    How are you watching the games

11. Kamtedrejt

Kamtedrejt Member+

Internazionale Milano
    Albania
    Mar 14, 2017
    Hamburg
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Albania
    Doogs repped this.
  12. Doogs

Doogs Member+

Dec 11, 2010
    Miami
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Thanks for this. I'm on a constant search to find reruns of the games but it's rly hard. The website I use for reruns only uploads south American teams if it involves Argentina or Brazil so that means I can watch the 2-1 over Brazil but nothing else

Kamtedrejt repped this.
  13. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
  14. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    As for Spanish Language I expect all our matches to be on Univision. Maybe a chance for Unimas if we play Costa Rica.

15. Doogs

Doogs Member+

Dec 11, 2010
    Miami
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    do you know how the concacaf teams are selected? we are supposed to have someone named Concacaf 6 in our group

16. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    #141 HomietheClown, Mar 7, 2024
    Last edited: Mar 7, 2024
    There is a CONCACAF Nations League playoff between Costa Rica and Honduras on the 23rd. It is basically a Copa America Play-in match.

The winner of that match will be in the Group. The loser is eliminated.

Doogs repped this.
  17. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    #142 HomietheClown, Mar 14, 2024
    Last edited: Mar 14, 2024
    I will continue this post from the National Team thread over here since this thread is more pertinent to the roster at hand.

Looks like Mier will not be given a chance and Ospina will be at least our third keeper at the Copa. (Barring injury or he just looks so bad against one of Spain or Romania.)

Still kinda confident on the CBs but Cuesta can impress.

Santi can play his way on the roster.

The Uribe injury opens things up for Portilla. Let's see how that plays out.

Going to be very interesting to see how the Creative offensive midfielders situation shapes up.
    I just can't see James, JuanFer, Carrascal and Yaser all making the roster. Yaser just has so much potential that it would be a shame not to see him in the Copa.

Wingers could get interesting. My current hot take is if we base it on form and merit Poveda may deserve it more than Sini. But we shall see what Lorenzo thinks and how they play next week in friendlies.

As for strikers I was wrong about Roger. Thought he impressed enough in the Non-FIFA match.
    It looks like it will come down to Santos Borre (Automatic Starter) and then Cordoba-Cassierra or Duran if healthy.
    I guess right now I would say Cordoba and Cassierra BUT Duran if healthy seems more dynamic so tough call.

Kamtedrejt repped this.
  18. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Costa Rica defeated Honduras 3-1 in the playoff to qualify for the Copa America.
    (Alfaro over Rueda.)

They will be in our Group in Arizona.

19. sidspaceman

sidspaceman Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 20, 2002
    AMÉRICA DE CALI
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
  20. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    As of right now my predictions are 2-0, 1-0, 0-0.

21. Kamtedrejt

Kamtedrejt Member+

Internazionale Milano
    Albania
    Mar 14, 2017
    Hamburg
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Albania
    Costa Rica will finish rock bottom of Group D. At best they'll get a draw against Paraguay.

22. crzdcolombian

crzdcolombian Member+

Jul 17, 2006
    Avon,CT
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    yea we usually blow our load too early in this cup…..

stay away from Peru haha they are our papa In this cup

23. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Alfaro knows us and our futbol really well so I am not taking Costa Rica lightly.
    But we should win. That is why I am saying 1-0 as of now.

24. villus

villus Member+

Jun 5, 2008
    Well he's not wrong that it's all about money, but I like the cup of the actual America's version, none of this North and South America. They do it for the money in the USA, every single Gold Cup being in the USA is a bigger joke tbh, but its a better competition for both regions when its not just the same smallish group of teams constantly playing each other.

J-Mezzy repped this.
  25. Doogs

Doogs Member+

Dec 11, 2010
    Miami
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    I dont like it always being hosted here