Copa America 2024?

Discussion in 'Colombian National Team' started by HomietheClown, Nov 17, 2022.

1. Furnaccio

Furnaccio Member+

Feb 19, 2008
    New York, NY
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    My expectations for friendlies are realistic. I would love more variety, but i understand why we get the teams we normally get.

I just said i would like to see us play Italy and Portugal as an example. Usually we get the best variety of friendlies closer to World Cup time.

2. praxis.en

praxis.en Member

May 13, 2015
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Its not about dismissing the wins in friendlies is more that we have to have the same performance when it counts

3. sidspaceman

sidspaceman Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 20, 2002
    AMÉRICA DE CALI
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia

4. Froboy69

Froboy69 Member+

Inter Milan
    Colombia
    Mar 25, 2011
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Apparently this was the first time we won 8 games in a row? FB_IMG_1718668726649.jpg

krass, sidspaceman and HomietheClown repped this.
  5. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Six more to go...

crzdcolombian, Froboy69 and J-Mezzy repped this.
  6. Froboy69

Froboy69 Member+

Inter Milan
    Colombia
    Mar 25, 2011
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    That's what I like to see, some confidence and hyping up the team.

crzdcolombian repped this.
  7. kromekote

kromekote Member+

May 22, 2012
    Club:
    America de Cali
    I wouldn't go as far as everything is set up for us to win. I think it's the complete opposite as we got the worst side of the bracket have to get thru Uruguay/US and then likely Brazil and Argentina. Brazil and Arg are still + 1 over Uruguay and Colombia no matter what the pundits say. Those 2 teams still win at the big stage and can turn on their best effort when it is least expected. They tend not to choke under pressure the way we have in the past.

Uruguay on the other hand is hot right now, no doubt, but they also lost against Ecuador, were losing against us during WCQ and have had some questionable results in recent friendlies. I don't think they are deep in every position and aren't as well balanced defending but wouldn't be shocked to see them in the final. I would still rather face Uruguay than Brazil any day, even this current version of Brazil who has all the talent but just hasn't clicked the way they are expected,

Clearly the difference is that we can compete at a high level and that gives us the best chance we've had in years. This team can beat any one on any given day but like all the elite teams we will also need a little bit of luck along the way.

ryu79 repped this.
  8. sidspaceman

sidspaceman Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 20, 2002
    AMÉRICA DE CALI
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
  9. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    #559 HomietheClown, Jun 17, 2024
    Last edited: Jun 17, 2024
    In comparison to Copa tournaments past everything is setting up for us to win. We have not tasted a loss in more than two years. We are the healthiest we have ever been heading into any tournament. We have a Manager who knows his player pool and wants to prove that this streak is not a fluke. We have the players. We have the tactics.

Sure we can lose. Every freakin' team on planet earth can lose. I am not guaranteeing a Championship. But I truly believe things are set up for us in this tournament in which we have as good a chance as anyone to lift up the trophy. And that is all I can ask for.

krass repped this.
  10. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    #560 HomietheClown, Jun 17, 2024
    Last edited: Jun 17, 2024
    And I forgot to say we have a manager who has basically been saying since the day he was hired that winning the Copa America is the objective.

Time to go out and prove him right. Or at least do your best and put all your heart out there on the field of play.

11. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Uruguay is just better mentally than Brasil.
    I think it will take time for the Brazilian coach to get them out of their mental funk.

12. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Another thing that sets up for us is the crowds. That little bit of crowd support can help us get past any team in our bracket. Or at least be a factor helping our players feel confident and ready.

krass, J-Mezzy and Froboy69 repped this.
  13. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    There's a rumor the antioqueño Feid will be performing either at the Copa America opening ceremony or virtually/recorded.

Now you know we are going to win. JuanFer will probably be tempted to leave the team and sing with him. ;)

14. krass

krass Member+

Aug 18, 2008
    well, there are other options as well

sidspaceman, HomietheClown and praxis.en repped this.
  15. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Where has this been my whole life????

16. krass

krass Member+

Aug 18, 2008
    it's pretty catchy :whistling:

17. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    We have to Re-Mix it though.

Viva Colombiaaaaa. Viva Borreeeeeeeeee!

krass repped this.
  18. kromekote

kromekote Member+

May 22, 2012
    Club:
    America de Cali
    sidspaceman repped this.
  19. dapip

dapip Member+

Sep 5, 2003
    South Florida
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    We got a bargain too. Scaloni got his deal when no one wanted to coach Argentina, while Bielsa and Gareca got theirs after everyone saw how relevant a coach could be.

Why do Garnero or Batista get so much? Maybe because no one ones to coach Paraguay or Venezuela?

J-Mezzy repped this.
  20. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Maybe age has something to do with it. Getting someone at 53 from Argentina who has coached young guys and with fresh new ideas is possibly worth over- paying for. And Venezuela must be happy with him so far.

The guy at Paraguay is in his mid 50s and established himself at some of the best teams in Paraguay so I guess they felt a need to pay up.

21. Tio Nicci

Tio Nicci Member+

Nov 13, 2008
    Houston, Texas
    Club:
    Deportivo Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia

It does make think. I see Luis Perea coaching as an assistant with Nestor, and I wonder if Luis Perea will take on the reigns once Nestor leaves. I do not see Colombia matching Nestor Lorenzo a better deal after this contract(If a major club comes in an ask for his services)

22. crzdcolombian

crzdcolombian Member+

Jul 17, 2006
    Avon,CT
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    think Quieroz was the highest paid coach along with Tite last qualifiers. If he wins us a Copa America or gets us to the last 8 of the WC you better believe they will give him the salary. He just needs to be given every aspect of the NT. The U23, U20, U17, U15. After pekerman left it was both 2 bad coaches came in but we had been bad at youth level since Quinteros U20 WC(wast that 2013?).

We need the SNT coach to be in control of everything or someone who works for him that controls it. The Olympic qualifiers should be done by the SNT coach or one of his assistants

Furnaccio and krass repped this.
  23. Froboy69

Froboy69 Member+

Inter Milan
    Colombia
    Mar 25, 2011
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
  24. Froboy69

Froboy69 Member+