Copa America 2024?

Discussion in 'Colombian National Team' started by HomietheClown, Nov 17, 2022.

1. Froboy69

Froboy69 Member+

Inter Milan
    Colombia
    Mar 25, 2011
    San Diego
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    A step in the right direction but I'll believe it when I see it.

2. crzdcolombian

crzdcolombian Member+

Jul 17, 2006
    Avon,CT
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    we need to focus on our senior nt and youth divisions.

hosting a copa america really shouldn’t be a priority unless they will fix or make a new stadium for their push for 2030 WC with Argentina and Chile another country since we will need 3 going forward

3. Froboy69

Froboy69 Member+

Inter Milan
    Colombia
    Mar 25, 2011
    San Diego
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    So there's talk that the US may host 2024 given that they were invited to play in said Copa America.

Are we gonna not challenge this after all and just continue to lower in our reputation?

4. crzdcolombian

crzdcolombian Member+

Jul 17, 2006
    Avon,CT
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Look FIFA is super corrupt and COmenbol is probably the worst of the worst.

Half our fed should be in jail for reselling tickets and the weird US friendlies situation which is happening again.

US wants every WC, Copa America in the US just like every Gold Cup. SA needs to be like ok you can host but you have to join Comenbol with Mexico and Canada. Rest of Concacaf becomes another Oceania with a 0.5 qualifier spot.

5. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    I saw this too.
    I think it makes sense for the CONCACAF obviously cause they want their best teams to stay sharp for 2026 and the only way to do that is to schedule as many big official matches as possible.

Does not really make sense for the CONMEBOL though unless they are guaranteed more money than CONCACAF or something (good luck on that).
    Although the pot would be bigger since American TV Networks along with Mexico would pay more if it is held in USA.

Plus another hurdle would be CONCACAF would have to get special permission from FIFA like the Centenario to bring their best players from Club teams that probably do not want to release them for two Gold Cups and a Copa America.

So there's a lot to figure out here.
    I just hope it is in Colombia but won't complain if it is here in the USA.
    I enjoyed attending the Centenario a lot.

6. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Latest rumor I am hearing confirms what my gut was telling me.

CONMEBOL is trying to keep the Copa America in South America and only play in the USA as a last resort. They would rather have a separate competition Copa Panamericano or whatever and split the money on that contrived tournament and keep all the Copa America money.

7. Doogs

Doogs Member+

Dec 11, 2010
    Miami
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    have you guys seen the FIFA Doc on Netflix? I'm on episode 3 right now. It seems like corruption is just part of the culture and its just an everyday thing where no one really bats an eyelid anymore. Blatter seemed so unfazed by it all

Furnaccio and J-Mezzy repped this.
  8. Froboy69

Froboy69 Member+

Inter Milan
    Colombia
    Mar 25, 2011
    San Diego
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Well it's official: USA will host the 2024 Copa America with 6 CONCACAF nations in it.

J-Mezzy repped this.
  9. sidspaceman

sidspaceman Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 20, 2002
    AMÉRICA DE CALI
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia

10. ryu79

ryu79 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 17, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Let's f'ing go!

Hopefully we start qualifying well and can roll in with momentum.

How much would I love to ff to the timeline where we have a Diaz-Duran-Sini front three playing in front of Asprilla-Barrios-Puerta? ..... Please let these kids land the way they should...

This is gonna be fun either way!

J-Mezzy and Azucarero repped this.
  11. Azucarero

Azucarero Member+

May 9, 2008
    Well, if we're planning this far ahead, Colombia will be in the Olympics that same summer and may need a couple of those guys

But, yeah, I'm excited with the talent coming up and the promise Lorenzo has shown in integrating them.

12. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    I doubt we qualify to the Olympics but that is only cause I do not think out best players will be allowed to play in qualifying.

13. Azucarero

Azucarero Member+

May 9, 2008
    Yeah, the timing of that tournament makes it rough. No way will Yaser, Duran, or Puerta play in it.

In a way, the cancelation of the last sub 20 helps in that regard. Talented players like Ruiz and Nelson Palacio are still playing in FPC. They might not still be a year from now, though.

Also, we have talented younger guys in MLS who are always available: Borrero, Edwin Mosquera, Juan David Mosquera.

14. crzdcolombian

crzdcolombian Member+

Jul 17, 2006
    Avon,CT
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    don’t we qualify if we finish top 3 to this?

15. Azucarero

Azucarero Member+

May 9, 2008
    No. They brought the Preolympic tournament back.

crzdcolombian and Froboy69 repped this.
  16. crzdcolombian

crzdcolombian Member+

Jul 17, 2006
    Avon,CT
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    good guys who will play at that cup will be the ones to qualify. Also can sell more players that way.

will Lozano coach or Perea?

17. Froboy69

Froboy69 Member+

Inter Milan
    Colombia
    Mar 25, 2011
    San Diego
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    FB_IMG_1701225273603.jpg

I think back to how badly we ********ed up in some of these editions...

krass repped this.
  18. Doogs

Doogs Member+

Dec 11, 2010
    Miami
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    yeah some of those performances were completely traumatizing and humiliating.

I don't even like to think about it because it makes me sick in the stomach, the way some of those games went down.

like that game Agustin Julio was eating shit outside his goal and I think Falcao missed a pen and we lost to Peru lol

that copa america where we were completely humiliated in the group stage back when even Paraguay ripped us apart

19. Froboy69

Froboy69 Member+

Inter Milan
    Colombia
    Mar 25, 2011
    San Diego
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    2011: yeah Falcao missed a penalty, Yepes accidently tripped Vargas our GK (because Ospina injuried himself during training before the Copa) thus allowing the Peruvian player to shoot over without anyone being able to catch it thus giving them the advantage and causing us to panic and give the ball away poorly to them scoring again.

2015: We were shadows of the amazing run we had in qualifiers and at the 2014 that we only scored 1 goal in the entire event which was by a defender. At least it was against Brazil.

2016: Cuadrado really thought it was a good idea to head the ball back to Ospina from a stupid distance but it simply provided an assist for Chile. Their second goal happened to hit the post first and leave the net open for one to burry it in. Again we panicked.

2019: How did we ******** up and panic yet again against Chile. Even tho it went to penalties 0-0, we were terrible and Chile deserved to go through and we gave no reason or arguement as to why we should have advanced. They were the better team both tactically and mentally.

2021: We put up a good fight against Argentina but Jesus our so called coach really thought that we could have a good Copa America without James...but we struggled to gain momentum especially in the group stage and it wasn't enough to beat Argentina who were more mentally disciplined than us.

Yerry Mina being mocked for our previous match winning the penalty shootout where he dances despite the penalties not being done has had the internet mock us and him as "karma". And because he missed his penalty against Argentina where the GK mocked him and Messi famously for being arrogant in celebrating too early. God that was embrassing for us since we also failed against England at the 2018 world cup with penalties.

All of these Copa Americas in the images is a highlight of the issue with Colombian football. The mentality is lacking when it matters most the players can't seem to keep consistency when a trophy is there for us to genuinely challenge with the players that they have.

We are promising right now but with how we have lost in the Copa Americas in recent memory i expect us to lose again not because of the other team but by how we fail to get shit down when it ********ing matters.

PJ234 and Doogs repped this.
  20. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Augustin Julio?

21. Doogs

Doogs Member+

Dec 11, 2010
    Miami
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
  22. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Which year?

23. Doogs

Doogs Member+

Dec 11, 2010
    Miami
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    i think that was maybe 2007 or something

24. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Ah.

The Falcao missed penalty was in 2011 and Rufai was our Keeper for that one.