Copa America 2024 - General Thread

Discussion in 'FIFA and Tournaments' started by KRCSoccer, Oct 13, 2022.

1. Tom Riddle

Tom Riddle Member

Chelsea
    United States
    Jun 14, 2022
    Oakland
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    were they released on ticketmaster from the very start? How was the ticket application process?

2. vancity eagle

vancity eagle Member+

Apr 6, 2006
    They will sit back against France and that will be how they approach Argentina. I think they will just park the bus and have the odd counter with Davies, but they aren't going to play as open as they did with the Dutch.

BocaFan repped this.
  3. bigsoccertst1

bigsoccertst1 Member+

United States
    Sep 22, 2017
    Tom Riddle repped this.
  4. bigsoccertst1

bigsoccertst1 Member+

United States
    Sep 22, 2017
    A bit of a lazy stat there: "That's over 31,000 per game. Roughly 50% of capacity across all games.", considering that 3 of 14 venues have maximum sports capacity below 26K.

Some venues did not open all seating sections either, to minimize operation costs of low-attendance matches.

After seeing price ranges during the 2nd presale, it is likely that fans will wait to buy after group phase ends. Cannot blow Jr's college fund during a non-WC year, after all.

5. BByliner

BByliner Member

Athletic Club
    South Korea
    Apr 18, 2018
    Washington, D.C.
    So each NFL venue controls the ticketing process for that venue and sets the prices so each game has a different pricing structure.. So for example I’m going to a QF game in Arizona (the Cardinals stadium) and those I got from Seatgeek. The Miami stadiumis where the final and that was done through Ticketmaster.

They had presale for people who signed up for the Copa America ticket news earlier on. For the high demand games (only pretty much Argentina and the final), almost all the tickets were scooped up in those presale windows.

But for most games there’s plenty of seats if you check on Seatgeek or Ticketmaster. This website steers to you the right ticketing provider. Not sure what secondary prices are, I am sure they will get cheaper than face value of tix pretty soon given how many seats are unsold. But if you want to see whats left of the original inventory (the one sold by stadium and organizers, you can filter to remove resale tickets in both Seatgeek and Ticketmaster)

https://copaamerica.com/en/tickets

bigsoccertst1 repped this.
  6. Tom Riddle

Tom Riddle Member

Chelsea
    United States
    Jun 14, 2022
    Oakland
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    amazing. Thank you for this detailed write up.

BByliner repped this.
  7. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    I do not know what people see in Ecuador. They are so dang boring.
    Not bad mind you, but not good either.

I could literally see them getting 0-0s each match. (Or at least look like they are playing not to lose in each Copa match.)

8. Viking lord

Viking lord Member

Uruguay
    Aug 4, 2022
    Nat'l Team:
    Uruguay
    They were playing better in the previous cycle imo, their new coach doesn't seem to be working as expected for them.

I agree as well that they play really boring, the second half of the Argentina friendly was a snooze fest.

HomietheClown repped this.
  9. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    #1109 HomietheClown, Jun 10, 2024
    Last edited: Jun 10, 2024
    They are a bit more lively and energetic than Mexico so maybe they can find a way to win against them and top the Group, but I still have the feeling Mexico will get some home cooking in front of their fans and barely beat each team in their Group at the last second.

10. vancity eagle

vancity eagle Member+

Apr 6, 2006
    I missed Canada's game with France but the 0-0 score hints that they sat back like I predicted.

11. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    They did not - it was a good game and we also took it to them
    Screenshot_20240610-092900_FotMob.jpg

justink and Paul Calixte repped this.
  12. guri

guri Member+

Apr 10, 2002
    Or maybe Brazil is not that good.

13. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Haha. That can be true too.

Either way Mexico will still be favored in my book to win their group.

14. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    On paper they look pretty solid except at full back. I didn't see the match, so I'm probably missing a lot, but looks like they were winning comfortably until the subs started coming on.

15. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    As stated in the other forum, not much has changed since March and the last remaining friendlies will not change my mind much.

I think Argentina-Colombia-Uruguay are top tier heading into this thing. (Colombia with a slight edge over Uruguay). Everyone else I would be kind of surprised to see lift the Cup. Even Brasil, but I know they are still very, very good.

16. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    USA aren't a top 5 favorite

jagum repped this.
  17. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    #1117 HomietheClown, Jun 11, 2024
    Last edited: Jun 11, 2024
    They are on my list.
    If you or anyone else want to produce your own lists and have valid reasons as to how you came to the conclusion, no one is stopping you guys from posting them.

Just going with my observations over the whole cycle and came to this conclusive evaluation heading into the Copa.

18. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Changing gears, here's some matches I am looking forward to that are not obviously "must see television" but will be entertaining nonetheless.

Chile- Peru
    The classico del pacifico. Rivals that do not want to lose to each other. Gareca being Peru's former manager makes this even more spicy. (Something I never thought could happen.)
    Chile is looking much better under him in friendlies. Peru though seems to get up for this Cup and makes surprising runs. Should be a good one.

Mexico-Venezuela.
    Must win match for both teams if they want to guarantee themselves a ticket to the quarters.
    Venezuela is playing like the better squad for the most part this cycle but their last friendly against Guatemala was not encouraging. They also had no prep matches this summer so I don't know how that will effect things.
    Mexico has played like crap but at least showed some life this last match against mostly Brazilian benchers. Playing in front of 70K+ in Mexico... ...I mean Los Angeles will make me slightly favor them of course.

USA-Bolivia
    USA should be able to take care of Bolivia. They really should. But not sure it will be a blowout. USA has to go out there and set the tempo and tone or else Bolivia may give us a scare. The longer the match is not in the USA's favor the more confident the South Americans will get.

Brasil-Paraguay
    Paraguay for some reason has played the Brazilians very tough in the Copa historically.
    Maybe history changes this time around cause they are so much better than Paraguay but I am intrigued going into it.

19. bigsoccertst1

bigsoccertst1 Member+

United States
    Sep 22, 2017
    31 years ago, CA began including non-Conmebol squads: MEX + USA played in 1993 CA.

Next week, CAN will finally debut, 13 years after its first invitation: both ARG+CAN refused participating in 2001 CA, citing team safety concerns within Colombian territory.
    Both teams were replaced at the last minute: CRC for CAN, HON for ARG.

So, how did each non-Conmebol team do during their CA debut?

1993 at ECU:
    - USA: group stage (1D, 2L, -3GD, all at altitude, exited last in group).
    - MEX: group stage (2D, 1L, -1GD, all at sea level, 3rd in group);
    knockout stage (2W, 1L, +3GD, QF+SF at altitude, lost Final match at sea level).

1997 at BOL:
    - CRC: group stage (1D, 2L, -8GD, all at sea level, exited last in group).

1999 at PAR:
    - JPN: group stage (1D, 2L, -5GD, exited last in group).

2001 at COL:
    - HON: group stage (2W,1L, +2GD, 2nd in group); knockout stage (1W,1L, 0GD, lost SF match).

2015 at CHI:
    - JAM: group stage (3L, -3GD, exited last in group).

2016 at USA:
    - HAI: group stage (3L, -11GD, exited last in group).
    - PAN: group stage (1W, 2L, -6GD, exited 3rd in group).

2019 at BRA:
    - QAT: group stage (1D, 2L, -3GD, exited last in group).

20. AMooz

AMooz Member

Manchester United
    Argentina
    Jul 5, 2022
    Texas
    Anyone here know which sections are designated supporters sections in different stadiums? Curious about Atlanta, Dallas, and Houston.

21. Paul Calixte

Paul Calixte Moderator
    Staff Member

Orlando City SC
    Apr 30, 2009
    Miami, FL
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I honestly didn't know that supporters' sections were even designated... but, here's an update out of Canada:

AMooz repped this.
  22. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    Splitting a supporters' section into 3 parts kind of defeats the main purpose of having a supporters' section.

23. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    In addition to the Shakira speculation there is a rumor going around that another Colombian artist Feid will be a part of the ceremony in some capacity. If not live then recorded or virtual.

Fedechat and AMooz repped this.
  24. Fedechat

Fedechat Member

Argentina
    Apr 30, 2014
    South Florida, USA
    Is easy, you look the match on Ticketmaster, if is Argentina vs, then Argentina supporter section will be on the left side of the Stadium.

Argentina vs Canada - Atlanta (left side)
    Chile vs Argentina - NJ (right side)
    Argentina vs Peru - Miami (left side)

QF 1A vs 2B, if Argentina ended up 1st on his group, then Houston left side

same for Semis and Finals, left side.

AMooz repped this.
  25. AMooz

AMooz Member

Manchester United
    Argentina
    Jul 5, 2022
    Texas
    Great, thank you!! That would mean the sections I circled below will be the ARG sections. We picked up seats in Sec120 but the Atlanta United supporters section being on the right was confusing me.

upload_2024-6-18_12-15-44.png