Copa America 2024 - General Thread

Discussion in 'FIFA and Tournaments' started by KRCSoccer, Oct 13, 2022.

1. marianelah

marianelah Member+

Jan 14, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    unless you're traveling far for a match. You should wait. Make your way to the stadium and wait for prices to drop. They will

2. Nico Limmat

Nico Limmat Member+

Oct 24, 1999
    Dubai, UAE
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    The fleecing of fans is a rather important aspect, given the not so great consumer protection in the US. Between ticket fleecing and lengthy tourist visa waiting time for some participating countries this Copa is really not travel friendly.

I certainly hope FIFA doesn’t get tempted to use such ticketing avenues for the upcoming CWC and World Cup.

3. Nico Limmat

Nico Limmat Member+

Oct 24, 1999
    Dubai, UAE
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    Maybe it’s time Conmebol start building their own platform then, especially if they plan on making Copas in the US a regular thing.

r0adrunner repped this.
  4. r0adrunner

r0adrunner Member+

Jun 4, 2011
    London, UK
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Couldn't they build their own ticketing platform together with Concacaf which could be used for their major events and by all their national associations so that it would be used for all national team games - qualifiers and Concacaf NL and friendlies - which would make it a more viable proposition? It would also relieve the national associations of the cost of running their own ticketing operations.

5. Nico Limmat

Nico Limmat Member+

Oct 24, 1999
    Dubai, UAE
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    And if FIFA has a head start here, they should give a helping hand to the confederations and national associations. For, you know, the “good of the game”.

I presume UEFA already has its own.

r0adrunner repped this.
  6. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    The prices may come down but not for that reason. Its not that type of crowd.

Also, I doubt the match will be meaningless. That's not how the Copa goes, usually. They'll be dropped points before that game.

7. marianelah

marianelah Member+

Jan 14, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    UEFA and FIFA use similar ticketing systems. EURO fans would have massive revolt if UEFA threw them to the wolves... Ticketmaster; that's the culture over there. Here in the US fans are used to being fleeced. They even partake by buying tickets and immediately reselling them on Ticketmaster. It's culture and it's not going to change here.

I'm only going to the semi-final in NY and maybe the 2 games in LA. If the prices come down.

8. Nico Limmat

Nico Limmat Member+

Oct 24, 1999
    Dubai, UAE
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    That’s a shame. But if competitions (Copa America, Gold Cup) are positioned as “regional tournaments” with corresponding international travel then a more transparent ticketing procedure should be mandated. How is this handled for the Olympics?

Glamourboy10 repped this.
  9. Glamourboy10

Glamourboy10 Member

Feb 12, 2014
    Dallas,TX
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    As far I know the Olympics rely on the host nation to create their own ticketing process, however the ticket prices are agreed upon by the Olympics committee. Prices vary by popularity of the events and location of seating (Cat1,2,3 etc) Tokyo used 3rd party vendors (cosport, kingdom sports group etc) to sale tix, Paris2024 used a lottery system of sorts (emailed link to buy tix if you were selected) at first now the portal is open for all leftovers. As a matter of fact, new batch of tickets was released today: https://tickets.paris2024.org/en/search/?affiliate=24R

Nico Limmat repped this.
  10. Paul Calixte

Paul Calixte Moderator
    Staff Member

Orlando City SC
    Apr 30, 2009
    Miami, FL
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You have a point with the Copa America... but on Concacaf tournaments (especially the Gold Cup): who said anything about int'l travel? The whole point of hosting everything here is to fleece- I mean, drain- sorry, I mean, give expat communities here the chance to cheer for their teams in person :rolleyes:

marianelah, BocaFan and Nico Limmat repped this.
  11. marianelah

marianelah Member+

Jan 14, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The reason Copa America is in USA is to fleece fans! There's no other reason for moving the tournament to USA. USA is the money pot! Euro clubs come here in summer to fleece fans... Mexico plays all their games in USA for the same reason.

BocaFan repped this.
  12. Glamourboy10

Glamourboy10 Member

Feb 12, 2014
    Dallas,TX
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    ..and it will only get worse unfortunately. US sports fans are used to this pricing model and frankly have learnt to accept it. I paid €1k (€150 ea) for X6 Cat2 Euro2024 tix, the matches incl England, France, Italy, Portugal etc

13. Nico Limmat

Nico Limmat Member+

Oct 24, 1999
    Dubai, UAE
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    It’s one thing if Conmebol and Concacaf do the fleecing directly. It’s another when the likes of Ticketmaster pile on their layer(s) of fees. That’s money that’s leaving the sport altogether.

nycfc919 repped this.
  14. Paul Calixte

Paul Calixte Moderator
    Staff Member

Orlando City SC
    Apr 30, 2009
    Miami, FL
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nico, Nico, Nico - I need you to get back Stateside and sign up for a Corporate Greed 101 class :D

Sure, it's a little less money, but it's passive money! Why would they work 50% harder to keep 20% more revenue? Just let outsiders worry about filling the trough, unless they belly-up à la ISL.

What, you expect football bureaucrats to care about the future of the game? In the future of the game, they're in prison b/c FIFAGate II happened - they're trying to cash out now! :whistling:

marianelah repped this.
  15. MacPhistoTerp

MacPhistoTerp Member

United States
    Mar 25, 2009
    Treasure Island, FL
    Club:
    Cork City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Olympics tickets will be handled by AXS.com

Nico Limmat repped this.
  16. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
  17. Paul Calixte

Paul Calixte Moderator
    Staff Member

Orlando City SC
    Apr 30, 2009
    Miami, FL
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Rollin' out the red carpet for this one! Doubt they had so many matches on big FOX in the last Copa América, right?

edcalvi and PJ234 repped this.
  18. Nico Limmat

Nico Limmat Member+

Oct 24, 1999
    Dubai, UAE
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    But, but, but…..I figured if Concacaf just hold enough Tin….errr….Gold Cups they can finally increase prize money for the Champions Cup. What do you mean they passed the cost to Aramco? :D

19. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    ganapordiego, edcalvi and PJ234 repped this.
  20. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Ecuador's Copa America shirts:

ganapordiego and PJ234 repped this.
  21. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
  22. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
  23. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    #873 HomietheClown, Mar 14, 2024
    Last edited: Mar 14, 2024
    I guess out of all the shirts (so far) I am not a big fan of Ecuador's. Diagonal stripe on the front and solid blue on the back?
    I do like their white one though.

Peru's black shirt is okay but I would have liked to have seen the traditional red diagonal stripe on it.

24. uuaww

uuaww Member+

Nov 21, 2007
    New Orleans, LA
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Peru is like Argentina... they can do whatever with the one away jersey because the home is sooooo iconic and won't vary that much. I love Mexico's jerseys, they are always bold and while you may not like one, you will probably find one you love in the next rotation.

The US always has such crap jerseys... Bring back the Waldos and keep them. Literally the greatest jersey for us ever.

Chesco United, edcalvi and Paul Calixte repped this.
  25. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Mexico's are unique to say the least. But ESPN rated them as almost perfect.
    They are not that great. And they are not wearing their traditional green color which I find very odd. But it is a one-off Copa America thing for cash so that may explain it.

Paul Calixte repped this.