Copa America 2024 - General Thread

Discussion in 'FIFA and Tournaments' started by KRCSoccer, Oct 13, 2022.

1. marianelah

marianelah Member+

Jan 14, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Im gonna say Brazil - Honduras sell 45%. Not as many catrachos in socal as you think. They’re in Houston mostly. And the games on a Monday night. Not many people gonna fight evening traffic and pay 100 parking (yes, that’s how much it is) on a Monday

2. marianelah

marianelah Member+

Jan 14, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah but …. “Penal para mexico!” will trend to get Mexico thru

3. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Honduras has not been in the Copa more than a couple decades. I think all of the Catrachos in the state will be thrilled and excited and will try to go to the game.
    There's a lot of Mexican fans who are closet Brazil fans in Los Angeles and a lot of band wagon jumpers so I would be shocked if it is as low as you predict. But we shall see.

4. marianelah

marianelah Member+

Jan 14, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Getting in and out of Inglewood on a Monday night is hell. But we shall see.

5. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    It can all be moot if it is los ticos.

marianelah repped this.
  6. AMooz

AMooz Member

Manchester United
    Argentina
    Jul 5, 2022
    Texas
    Ahh good to see be back on BS and see some familiar names from FWC22!! :thumbsup:

Still no news on tickets and if Ticketmaster is running them yet, right?

NNNJJJ repped this.
  7. pipinogol

pipinogol Member+

May 20, 2016
    Club:
    Cary RailHawks U23
    Some Peruvians were supporting Argentina in the recent qualifier match in Peru :ROFLMAO:

All the neutrals just want to see Messi score. It's gonna be 75% Argentina shirts in that stadium.

Cosmin10, AMooz and marianelah repped this.
  8. marianelah

marianelah Member+

Jan 14, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Austin FC is reporting on their site tickets will go on sale mid January

9. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    I expect NFL / MLS season ticket holders of each respective stadium to get first crack at tickets.
    Then General public soon after.
    Still no time table.
    Based on the Centenario it could be in February or March.

*Edit the post above me says January for Austin so that is encouraging.

10. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    I doubt the Peru Fans in Broward county will be rooting for Argentina even if they are Inter Miami fans.
    I think it will be closer to 60% Argentina shirts.

11. soccer_23

soccer_23 Member

Feb 6, 2014
    The kickoff is likely to be 5pm local or earlier, given Brazil’s time zone. Not sure if that helps or hurts the traffic situation…

12. marianelah

marianelah Member+

Jan 14, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    LAX is next door. It's always bad coming in and out of Inglewood. But ticket prices will be a huge factor. It’s an expensive venue; just parking is over 100 dollars. Either way; I’m going to both Sofi games.

13. marianelah

marianelah Member+

Jan 14, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    NNNJJJ repped this.
  14. vancity eagle

vancity eagle Member+

Apr 6, 2006
    Mexico isn't even guaranteed to make it out their group, what do u mean "cakewalk"

Cosmin10 and GerVZLA repped this.
  15. vancity eagle

vancity eagle Member+

Apr 6, 2006
    Nah.

People confuse "Group of death" with an even Group where all teams have a decent chance. Those 2 aren't necessarily the same thing.

Group of death is the most solid collection of quality teams from top to bottom. Group B definately is not that.

I'd say whichever group Canada ends up in would be the group of death, especially if they end up in Brazils group.

B and C to me are the weakest groups.

16. pipinogol

pipinogol Member+

May 20, 2016
    Club:
    Cary RailHawks U23
    #491 pipinogol, Dec 8, 2023
    Last edited: Dec 8, 2023
    My takes...

A: easy 9 points for Argentina. It's very even beyond that but I bet on Peru for 2nd due to their exceptional Copa record but all three other teams* are a mess in the coaching department right now. My opinion on 2nd place could change depending on how they all sort that by June.

*Assuming Canada qualifies here.

B: the shortest gap between top and bottom seeds. Any combination of advancing teams is possible. Right now I bet on ECU and MEX, in that order.

C: Really straightforward, URU 1st, USA 2nd, PAN 3rd, BOL 4th. US fans will say they have a solid chance to top the group but nah, this Uruguay team is just too different than what they've been in the recent past. Panama won't give up the points easily. Bolivia = 0.

D: Brazil and Colombia will advance. The other two will just play for 3rd place. If it was played now there would be a solid chance to see a Colombia upset for 1st place but we'll see if by then Brazil finally has a permanent coach.

marianelah repped this.
  17. GerVZLA

GerVZLA Member

Caracas FC
    Venezuela
    Nov 12, 2023
    #492 GerVZLA, Dec 8, 2023
    I would say that Argentina has the easy path to the semis. Group B is for anyone on paper
    I see many sports journalists giving their favorites in each group, only a few doubts remain:

1.- Who accompanies Argentina in A?
    2.- Which among Mexico, Ecuador or Venezuela is left out?
    3.- Will Panama or the US accompany Uruguay?
    4.- Who wins the D between Brazil and Colombia?

That being the case, and it is something they repeat a lot, the most even group on paper is B

In my opinion, it is Argentina and Uruguay that have the greatest difference compared to those who accompany them in the group stage. And let's not fool ourselves, today anyone in CONMEBOL who was not the head of the group wanted to be in B

18. NicoCuervo

NicoCuervo Member

San Lorenzo
    Argentina
    Mar 30, 2022
    Hey hey! Coming back to this lovely forum after Qatar2022 :)

So far there's no info about when sales start, the only options from argentinians is getting the AFA ID which is insanely expensive

AMooz repped this.
  19. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    In a tough tournament like this no one is guaranteed. Upsets can occur of course.

But I always call it as I see and and try to go with my gut.

Mexico could have had the likes of Uruguay or Colombia in Pot 2 and avoided them.
    They will have huge partisan crowds in their favor and they are not afraid of any of the teams in their group.

Sure, Ecuador and Venezuela on paper are playing better at the moment (even Jamaica) but when the lights go on in what essentially will be Mexico home matches I think they will find a way to win all three and try their best to avoid Argentina by winning the Group.
    And I do not think any of the second place teams in Group A will be favored against them.
    Hence I say it will be an easy path to the Semis.
    But as I said before I hope I am wrong. I want to see them lose.

marianelah repped this.
  20. Penarol1916

Penarol1916 Member

Apr 22, 2002
    Chicago, IL
    Finding a way to win is not the same as a cakewalk. They look so much worse than Ecuador right now, maybe they’ll get better and that home field advantage will help, but that puts them to about even odds at best, calling it a cakewalk or an easy path is just stupid.

21. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    #496 HomietheClown, Dec 8, 2023
    Everything is relative.
    As I said, in a tournament like this upsets can occur and teams can lose to anyone.
    But my initial gut feeling looking at that Group B is that they should win all three in front of crazy crowds and beat the second place team in Group A. They avoided Uruguay and Colombia in the draw which makes it a whole heck of a lot easier to top the Group. And they avoided Uruguay and Colombia in a second round match with the way the brackets are setup.

We all know a team like Uruguay should have been the seed not Mexico so the path is much easier than it could have been.

22. marianelah

marianelah Member+

Jan 14, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ecuador, Venezuela and Jamaica are Mexico’s “children” in regards to soccer history. Mexico is at home, and even tho this is the worst Mexico in decades; they’ll beat Jamaica and Venezuela comfortably. Depending on goal difference; a draw may be enough vs Ecuador in the last game. next they have Peru or Canada… more soccer children. Add the usual referee help Mexico gets in tournaments; it’s and easy road to the match of the tournament v Argentina.

23. GoalGoalUSA

GoalGoalUSA Member

Apr 15, 2016
    New York
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Argentina will take care of them easily like they did at the WC. Same as in Doha, it’ll have a great atmosphere though.

Match of the tournament would be Argy vs Brazil final in Miami. Perhaps Messi’s last national game

marianelah and AMooz repped this.
  24. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Argentina-Colombia would be epic in Miami too.
    Heck, even Uruguay would have a decent representation there.

Argentina-USA would feel like an Argentina home match in Miami unfortunately.

AMooz repped this.
  25. AMooz

AMooz Member

Manchester United
    Argentina
    Jul 5, 2022
    Texas
    I couldn't even sign up for one on their website, didn't let me fill in my address and didn't let me move on because the address was incomplete o_O