Copa America 2024 - General Thread

Discussion in 'FIFA and Tournaments' started by KRCSoccer, Oct 13, 2022.

1. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    I loved Charlotte when I went to the Copa Oro this past summer.
    Glad it is one of the cities chosen for the Copa America.

marianelah and edcalvi repped this.
  2. edcalvi

edcalvi Moderator
    Staff Member

Olimpia
    Guatemala
    May 1, 2005
    US
    That's irrelevant. Anyone can move to another city or country. I've been here long enough to know more than you.

3. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
  4. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Someone was going to get screwed. There are only so many matches and there are many stadiums that wanted to host.

5. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    I guess, but I would assume the screwed people would live on a corn field in western Iowa or somewhere like that, not where the highest population density is.

By comparison, if you live in Dallas you are close to 3 venues and a 4th venue is a very doable drive away.

6. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    #456 HomietheClown, Dec 5, 2023
    Last edited: Dec 5, 2023
    We do not know all the behind the scenes battles going on.

Maybe the Northeast stadiums with high density had scheduling conflicts or could not guarantee safe grass installed.
    So many different factors that get involved. Plus politics and travel appeared to be an issue.

soccer_23 repped this.
  7. Paul Calixte

Paul Calixte Moderator
    Staff Member

Orlando City SC
    Apr 30, 2009
    Miami, FL
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Damnit, now I want to see the alternate list of venues they had lined up if Honduras had held on :D

soccer_23 and edcalvi repped this.
  8. Paul Calixte

Paul Calixte Moderator
    Staff Member

Orlando City SC
    Apr 30, 2009
    Miami, FL
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Didn't help that the cheapest tickets were $75 :eek:

Clear cognitive dissonance b/w the MAJOR EVENT pricing and the lack of MAJOR EVENT promos around that Copa, even if we understand the reason for the latter (FIFAGate).

soccer_23, edcalvi and marianelah repped this.
  9. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Something that is very smart is playing the last match day (Pot 3 and pot 4 teams) in small MLS stadiums. Those will more than likely be the least attractive matches to attend. (But it won't look as bad on television.)

Paul Calixte and PJ234 repped this.
  10. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    A bit of a strange negative tone on that comment. Not many places in the US will do better than 51k for Ecuador v Haiti. And I know that because Haiti and Ecuador covered the Northwest, Southwest and Southeast in their other games, and drew 20k, 12k and 28k respectively. And L.A. drew about the same for Brazil v Ecuador.

soccer_23 and GerVZLA repped this.
  11. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Speaking of the final match days it will be interesting to see if they are scheduled simultaneously or staggered.
    For the most part in the history of the tournament they have been staggered including the Centenario.

Last time we had Groups of 4 in 2019 though they were simultaneous kickoffs.

12. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    Yeah, when you have 12 teams and third-place teams advancing it becomes less important to have simultaneous kickoffs. But with a 16-team format it would be a bit mickey mouse to have staggered kickoffs. And since they had simultaneous kickoffs in the last two Copas I would expect them to make it 3 in-a-row.

Paul Calixte repped this.
  13. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    I am leaning in that direction too but they have not made it official yet and knowing the Television Networks involved it may not be as clear cut as it may seem.

14. GerVZLA

GerVZLA Member

Caracas FC
    Venezuela
    Nov 12, 2023
    Well, how long you've been here seems to be irrelevant, and what you know seems to be unimportant when it comes to presuming people's identities. My account is Gerlestat, but I lost it a long time ago and made this new account.

Served!

15. soccer_23

soccer_23 Member

Feb 6, 2014
    Is it confirmed that the Pot numbers will match the group position (not random like Euro and WC)? Agree it does seem that way, with 3 v 4 at the MLS stadiums.

16. marianelah

marianelah Member+

Jan 14, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's what it looks like. All 4 seeds are opening vs the Pot4 (weakest team). Match 3 will be the heavyweight match between seeded team and Pot2.

17. Paul Calixte

Paul Calixte Moderator
    Staff Member

Orlando City SC
    Apr 30, 2009
    Miami, FL
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I had the same question... and it is confirmed: read through Art. 22 of the regulations.

soccer_23 and marianelah repped this.
  18. Paul Calixte

Paul Calixte Moderator
    Staff Member

Orlando City SC
    Apr 30, 2009
    Miami, FL
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ganapordiego, GerVZLA, AMooz and 2 others repped this.
  19. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Argentina and Mexico have cake walks to the Semis in my book. And that Semi in New Jersey would absolutely be insane. Like potentially the craziest atmosphere in Copa America history type of insane.

The other bracket is just too close to call. I am hoping the Semi is USA-Colombia of course but it could be any combo of top teams in those Groups really. Too close for me to call for now.

AMooz repped this.
  20. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    As for the Group stage that Argentina match in Miami will not be as pro-Argentina as once thought.
    Peru fans are going to show up in droves and will make that probably the best atmosphere of the Group stage potentially.

AMooz and marianelah repped this.
  21. marianelah

marianelah Member+

Jan 14, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I’m giving Mexico 60% chance they come in 2nd; but I’ve got flight and hotel booked for NY already. Mexico’s revenge match.

22. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Mexico will beat up on Jamaica in font of 70K in Houston.
    Barely beat Venezuela in front of 75K in California
    Barely beat Ecuador in Arizona in front of 60K or so.

I hope I am wrong and they lose all three but that is what my gut is saying.

marianelah and PJ234 repped this.
  23. marianelah

marianelah Member+

Jan 14, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Add to it the ref help they’ll go thru. I think you’re right. It’s set up for NY

24. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    #474 HomietheClown, Dec 7, 2023
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2023
    I am going to edit this now and say if it is Honduras-Brasil in Inglewood the place is going to be packed with a lot more than 55K. Lots of Catrachos in Cali. Maybe close to 65K-70.

Vegas I may make an adjustment to less, maybe 45K. Paraguay is just a bland team that does not draw fans.

Santa Clara since it is a marquee match of two very good teams I will say close to 60K. I was pleasantly surprised to see a lot of Colombians show up there in the Centenario and expect it to happen again.

25. DrScorpio

DrScorpio Member

San Lorenzo
    Argentina
    Jan 6, 2022
    To me group B is the group of death. Mexico is not in a good moment, Ecuador is a good team but they always do something wrong in Copa America, if Venezuela maintains the level of the WCQ will be interesting, and Jamaica is probably the worst in that group but they still can beat one of them.