Copa America 2024 Discussion

Discussion in 'Argentina: Selecciones Nacionales' started by soul24rage, May 10, 2024.

1. pipinogol

pipinogol Member+

May 20, 2016
    Club:
    Cary RailHawks U23
    I never ever said we would lose to Croatia, I predicted our win. Proof: https://www.bigsoccer.com/threads/m...t-do-you-think.2120305/page-136#post-41045882

I did predict Netherlands to beat us but just as a reverse jinx, not seriously. I already said this many times.

2. pipinogol

pipinogol Member+

May 20, 2016
    Club:
    Cary RailHawks U23
    We completely dominated minor teams like Poland and Australia despite the "narrow" scores. The performance was night and day compared to this Copa. It's about the play, not so much about the score.

johnbarley2 repped this.
  3. SupaMario

SupaMario Member+

Aug 31, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA Tigre
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
  4. Christina99

Christina99 Member+

Argentina
    Sep 22, 2013
    Buenos Aires
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Argentina has got to 7 finals since 2014:cool::cool:

Truly, what this team has acomplished is UNBELIEVABLE, and since Scaloni arrived our stats are insane:eek::eek::eek: we lost like 2 games in 65 games, we arrived to 4 finals in the last 5 years!!!!:eek::eek::eek: we won 3 MF trophies:eek::eek::eek:we actually have more trophies tan loses in the last 5 years. This team has to be one of the best NT in the history of the sport:cool::cool:.

We are really and truly amazing

And its weird to still have to hear people saying refs favour us:rolleyes::rolleyes: and our wins are "bought":ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:, its like people are so mad that we are BY FAR the best team in the world and have been for a long time now, they are envious we are so overwhelmingly great and legendary, that they'll try to diminish our otherworldy run as champions and finalists.

But the truth is the team is LEGENDARY and will go in the history books and maybe we will never repeat it, but it will live in the hearts and minds of millons around the world:coffee:. And the Scaloni era has been the consagratory era, but this started a long time ago, we had the 2008 olympics, the sub 20 trophy, the Sabella era with the 3 consecutive finals 2014-2015-2016 (world cup and 2 copa america) which would be a HUGE feat for any NT but for us it seem like a dissapointment cause our championships were a long time coming back then, and people wanted titles, championships, and forget how damn hard is to get to a WORLD CUP FINAL:eek::eek: and then 2 copas americas back to back. We were great then, we are even greater (we are LEGENDARY) now, this was hard fought and it took a looong time, we are finally collecting all the awards we always deserved.

Whatever happens on sunday, we are an historic, all time winning, legendary NT that has achieved everything there is to achieve and we should always be proud of it.

5. pipinogol

pipinogol Member+

May 20, 2016
    Club:
    Cary RailHawks U23
    When I say "demolished" I'm talking about dominating the opponent, not necessarily reflected in the score.

Spain in 2010 and Argentina in 2022 completely dominated the opponents despite the narrow scores. Argentina in this Copa is not doing that, we could've easily conceded more in both games against Canada and against Ecuador.

Only during the first half vs Chile we did see something reminiscent of the world champion team.

6. Rattlehead

Rattlehead Member+

Barcelona, Inter Milan
    Argentina
    Jun 21, 2010
    Jakarta
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Exactly, as RDP says when it comes to winning trophies "We Argentines are born to suffer".

2004, 2007, 2015, 2016, we had those blow out wins (3-0, 4-0, 4-1, 5-0. 6-1) but ended up empty handed.

7. Rattlehead

Rattlehead Member+

Barcelona, Inter Milan
    Argentina
    Jun 21, 2010
    Jakarta
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    We had zero losses in 2022 qualifier and currently leading the 2026 qualifier. If that's a bad performance, I'll take that feat over the hype that Brazil created when they beat England in friendlies.

Christina99 repped this.
  8. pipinogol

pipinogol Member+

May 20, 2016
    Club:
    Cary RailHawks U23
    Two different cycles. Road to 2022 was impeccable. Ever since the WC final we haven't been playing any good. We only defeated weak opponents, got a largely lucky win against Brazil (we played awful that day) and got our asses handed to us vs Uruguay.

Nothing of this contradicts Christina99's comment: it has been a brilliant era that we shouldn't forget.

9. Iranian Monitor

Iranian Monitor Member+

Aug 18, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    Argentina versus either Uruguay or Colombia would be interesting. The last 2 being among the most in form teams in the world while Argentina, despite maintaining good results since their World Cup title, looking less in form or impressive recently.

10. SupaMario

SupaMario Member+

Aug 31, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA Tigre
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Okay, I went back and rewatched the first-half without much anxiousness. I haven't watched the second yet but most of what happened in the last 10 minutes wasn't real football, nobody plays that hectic from the get-go.

But nevertheless, I think we were very comfortable. Canada had a couple moments but our defenders felt comfortable. I think Montiel, Tag, Cuti and Licha did their jobs quite well.I didn't see any worry from them or panic

The midfield was just a step-off. It wasn't as bad as some of our games but I think they did a sufficient job. RDP got the assist, Enzo was rather quiet and Mac would drift in and out of spots. However, what our midfield does better than any side in this tournament is hunt the ball back. if we lose it, they go running for it. The dynamic play is still lacking, perhaps it has to do with these awful ass pitches or the weather but the dynamism and the rhythm that won us the trophy was off in the first half. There were certain instances where we opened up play and attacked on the wings for ADM but it was fine.

There was one play that starts around 34:15 where Mac starts the play, plays to the defense and the defense finds an open space for Messi who makes a quick turn and run leaves it off tor RDP. De Paul leaves the ball off just a bit too short which makes Messi stumble just a bit but enough that allows the Canadian defender to close the space, but Messi passes it wide to Tag's who shot it and it deflected for a corner. If the pass was just correct, I think Messi would've been off to the races. But I think Tagliafico could've made the pass back to Messi who was running open in the middle, which would've been a goal scoring opportunity. Hopefully Scaloni and Co. look at this play and point it out to the fullbacks. Not a bad option to shoot but if Messi is running freely in the box, pass it to him.

Also around 43:30 Montiel provides a wonderful ball to ADM that opens up the Canadian defense, who leaves it off to Messi, who cuts to his right foot and misses just wide.

Canada had one more opportunity in the ET in the first half where the defense shutoff because they were waiting for a whistle to blow.

I think we were always comfortable in the first half. I will check out the second half later but I know people want champagne football but if those two instances were played just a bit more correctly, the scoreline would've reflected 3-0, and people would be saying "Argentine has found their groove again at the right time." I am fine with grinding out wins. I like the grit and confidence from the team. People who call us cheats and thugs, a bit fat yawn. We can play different ways and beat you in different ways. I want us to play a but faster but we are saving our legs and energy. But playing slow is is what we do at times. Slow, slow, and quick bursts in attack. It is dictating the pace of the match.

Finally, the boys will get a few days off and play on natural grass in Miami. They should be up for it and they perhaps saved their energy for the final.

locoxriver, Burr, soul24rage and 3 others repped this.
  11. Rattlehead

Rattlehead Member+

Barcelona, Inter Milan
    Argentina
    Jun 21, 2010
    Jakarta
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Julian has a good record in semi. He scored in CL semi last year againts Real madrid, scored a brace WC semi & now in Copa semi aswell.

12. Pekerman

Pekerman Member+

May 20, 2006
    Didn't canada draw Frande :ROFLMAO:
    We might not be at our peak but other NTs are much worse. Just look at England for trash football

13. Burr

Burr Member+

Boca Juniors
    Argentina
    Jul 8, 2014
    Tampa, FL
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    barcaq8, locoxriver and ganapordiego repped this.
  14. locoxriver

locoxriver Moderator
    Staff Member

May 22, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
  15. Rattlehead

Rattlehead Member+

Barcelona, Inter Milan
    Argentina
    Jun 21, 2010
    Jakarta
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    While its fckin gross, anybody knows the temperature during the match againts Canada? Cause I noticed Messi's head looks red like a baked lobster...

16. Loco

Loco BigSoccer Yellow Card

River Plate
    Argentina
    May 1, 2005
    Miami
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Our defense is ruthless and efficient. The stats will say that Canada had 2 shots at goal yesterday, but they never really had a shot.

Goals wins games, but Defenses win tournaments. Under Scaloni, the Defense has become a reliable part of our game. And as long as we get results, I am here for it

17. SupaMario

SupaMario Member+

Aug 31, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA Tigre
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    That's some 1920's mafioso shit. What an embarrassment.
    I think they said kickoff was around 84(29ish Celsius)... So, the pitch was probably even worse. Players are going to suffer during the World Cup in two years time. They need to come to their sense and have some of the kickoffs later. The European market just needs to get their asses up early or stay up to watch some of the matches. I can't imagine players having to play outdoors in places like Houston and Kansas City before the sunset.

18. soul24rage

soul24rage Member+

Barcelona
    Jun 13, 2009
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I prefer to face against Uruguay since

- Araujo being injured the rest of the tournament
    - I don’t think their forward has the final third quality compared to Colombia's
    - Argentina has the players to dominate the midfield
    - Uruguay will have been through 2 wars vs Brazil and Colombia so they have to be worn down to a certain degree
    - Argentina will want revenge for that 2-0 loss vs Uruguay.
    - There's also the pride to be the country with the most Copa America (Argentina and Uruguay are tied at the top with 15 Championships each)

19. locoxriver

locoxriver Moderator
    Staff Member

May 22, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    My sister was at the game. She said it was disgustingly humid, even when the match ended at 10:00pm

Still, Tapia is a piece of trash who is just robbing every penny he can from la seleccion and living like a shiekh. It’s repugnant.

Rattlehead repped this.
  20. Mac Attack

Mac Attack Member

Many
    Argentina
    Oct 19, 2023
    De Paul is getting tons of hate in Canadian media, and rightfully so:

Burr repped this.
  21. ganapordiego

ganapordiego Member

Estudiantes de La Plata
    Argentina
    Jul 10, 2021
    Uruguay would also give us the opportunity to defeat a 4th straight World Champion for a trophy.

Burr and soul24rage repped this.
  22. SupaMario

SupaMario Member+

Aug 31, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA Tigre
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Not to mention the Colombians have taken Mexico's spot as the fanbase that is the most delusional. A country that has never achieved anything talking as we are equals.

Anytime a Colombiano speaks about their futbol...

[​IMG]

I kinda enjoy the fact that we are villains.

"fiFa iz hElPIng mEsSi, iT Iz sO oBvIoUs"

Burr, Rattlehead and soul24rage repped this.
  23. SupaMario

SupaMario Member+

Aug 31, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA Tigre
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
  24. Loco

Loco BigSoccer Yellow Card

River Plate
    Argentina
    May 1, 2005
    Miami
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Winning is Winning. Canada played like a bunch of freaking losers all game, if you ask me. They didn't want to press, they let our defense have the ball as long as we wanted it. And their coach is a freaking clown.

As far as RDP, I don't think he did anything particular that was so bad. Why did the Canadian player kick the ball? fault is on him. Bunch of crying a## bit#hes

25. SupaMario

SupaMario Member+

Aug 31, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA Tigre
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Fair to say most Argentines are pulling for Uruguay rather than Colombia.

soul24rage repped this.