Copa America 2024 Discussion

Discussion in 'Argentina: Selecciones Nacionales' started by soul24rage, May 10, 2024.

1. Christina99

Christina99 Member+

Argentina
    Sep 22, 2013
    Buenos Aires
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    And suddenly Peru decides to start playing

2. aerez

aerez Member+

River Plate
    Argentina
    Jul 8, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    - is what a Mexican fan would say

ganapordiego and afar repped this.
  3. aerez

aerez Member+

River Plate
    Argentina
    Jul 8, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    The way peru and chile are playing easy 6 points for argentina.

Christina99 repped this.
  4. aerez

aerez Member+

River Plate
    Argentina
    Jul 8, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Error on my part. All of that is incorrect except for Canada. Brain fart.

The Panama vs USA game is game 2 at Mercedes Benz on June 27. But the point still stands since it will still be 3 concacaf playing on that pitch a week later.

5. Burr

Burr Member+

Boca Juniors
    Argentina
    Jul 8, 2014
    Tampa, FL
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm curious how Canada will do against these guys

aerez and Christina99 repped this.
  6. Rattlehead

Rattlehead Member+

Barcelona, Inter Milan
    Argentina
    Jun 21, 2010
    Jakarta
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    #656 Rattlehead, Jun 21, 2024
    Last edited: Jun 21, 2024
    I think Canada might be toughest than those two because they have the speed that could trouble our fullbacks, which basically our weakest point.

Acuna seems to declined alot, Molina performance isnt as consistent as in 2022.

johnbarley2 and afar repped this.
  7. AgentOfR9

AgentOfR9 Member

Real Madrid
    Argentina
    Jul 21, 2021
    I felt Acuna was a big weakness yesterday, he was always committing so much in attack and offered little, then got beaten for pace coming back in defence.

When Tagliafico came on he didn’t have to work hard to join the attack, but he always got the right position and could still come back.

I can’t believe I’m saying this but if Nico Gonzalez started, then we would have won comfortably after 1 half. But then if Nico started, Canada probably parks the bus cuz they know he can’t break it down.

8. aerez

aerez Member+

River Plate
    Argentina
    Jul 8, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    canada is a younger and faster team, that's what they have going for them. They will run around these two old teams. Once copa america is over, Argentina needs to move quickly to young squad members.

afar repped this.
  9. AgentOfR9

AgentOfR9 Member

Real Madrid
    Argentina
    Jul 21, 2021
    Yes, like Acuna, Otamendi, Pezzella and Guido should already be gone.

Soule, Varela, Balerdi and Medina should already be here.

afar and soul24rage repped this.
  10. Rattlehead

Rattlehead Member+

Barcelona, Inter Milan
    Argentina
    Jun 21, 2010
    Jakarta
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I think his time is over after this Copa. I mean , like Acuna , he's one of those bulldog who can hustle the whole game. I remember when he's still wrestling for the ball and won FK before the final whistle in 2021 final, and he was great in that tournament.

Against Canada, he'd often gets the ball with acres of space to run, yet he couldnt creates anything out of it.

johnbarley2 and afar repped this.
  11. afar

afar Member+

Apr 26, 2007

Lionel Scaloni: "We've known for 7 months that we were going to play here, and they changed the turf two days ago. We didn't play on a decent pitch. It was similar to Saudi Arabia, but with the difference that there we played on a suitable field. We can't play like this."

I keep on saying - the pitch was extraordinarily terrible. I am not one for making excuses about the pitch, because I saw Maradona play on banana pitches all the time. And I followed futbol from the 70s, so I know the quality of pitches back then.

But this pitch was weird; you probably couldn’t notice on TV but from the first row it was really clear. The pitch was hard, but it also seemed to give way, like it was laid on an ice skating ring or something. Like I mentioned, everyone around us kept on saying the same thing.

It is a travesty that a tournament like Copa America starts off with a pitch like this.

Dibu said that it was like a trampoline.

He even implied that it was done on purpose to impediment us specifically. I don’t think that is correct, but please imagine playing with cleats on a concrete floor - and imagine how much you would slip.

That’s what it looked like.

johnbarley2, soul24rage and Pekerman repped this.
  12. aerez

aerez Member+

River Plate
    Argentina
    Jul 8, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Guys it was a joke ffs!!! :rolleyes:
    What's in bold is what Mexicans always say on social media. It was sarcasm

I thought you guys would get it. lmao I guess it was just bad delivery or the sarcasm failed.

13. Rattlehead

Rattlehead Member+

Barcelona, Inter Milan
    Argentina
    Jun 21, 2010
    Jakarta
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I dont see how its considered as an excuse anyway. we didnt complain because we lose or held draw. We won 2-0 and it could have been 6-1 easily with a bit more luck.

johnbarley2 repped this.
  14. Pekerman

Pekerman Member+

May 20, 2006
    Are you okay?

locoxriver repped this.
  15. soul24rage

soul24rage Member+

Barcelona
    Jun 13, 2009
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    According to Gaston Edul, Lisandro and Paredes are likely to start. Chile will bring up the intensity and (this will be controversial), I would bring in Nico Gonzalez to match that intensity and speed to the team. Acuña to play at LB to bring more attacking variety in the left wing. Lo Celso and RDP are in yellow card right so I'm hoping that they take a yellow and relax during the Peru game.

This would be my line up vs Chile

------------------------------Lautaro
    N. Gonzalez--------------------------Messi
    -----------------------Lo Celso--------Paredes---------RDP
    Acuña------------Lisandro--------------Romero----------Molina
    ---------------------------------Dibu

Bring in Enzo, Garnacho, MacAllister, Alvarez, and Palacios from the bench

Rattlehead, Pekerman and DrScorpio repped this.
  16. afar

afar Member+

Apr 26, 2007
    Oh I got it the first time. I knew you were being sarcastic.

I was agreeing with you. I only wrote my post because some posters here were saying we’ve played on pretty bad pitches before.

I just wanted to make the point that the pitch was not only bad, but differently and “more” bad from other cases.

johnbarley2 repped this.
  17. DrScorpio

DrScorpio Member

San Lorenzo
    Argentina
    Jan 6, 2022
    Yeah, may be unpopular but I think that unfortunately Messi and Di Maria can't play together anymore or at least not from the start, we can't have 2 guys that don't help in defence, the other day when Canada attacked sometimes looked that we were a man down.

18. Pekerman

Pekerman Member+

May 20, 2006
    #668 Pekerman, Jun 22, 2024
    Last edited: Jun 22, 2024
    Yes, also we are heavily lopsided on the right with Messi, depaul, molina all there. Mac also drifts to the center so the left side is pretty much Acuna only. If Di Maria starts, I prefer him on the left.

I think acuna got crapped on a lot but I don't see what he could do completly by himself on that flank?

I don't think anyone played particularly bad. Yes Molina got beat by pure speed a few times but most players would lose that battle vs Davies. I wish the same standards were applied with euro players who are underwhelming asf

Albiceleste2010 repped this.
  19. johnbarley2

johnbarley2 Member+

Jan 19, 2013
    I guess our players and trainer are Mexican fans. What's funny is that scaloni anticipating numbskulls like yourself saying at the press conference that it was a good thing Argentina won otherwise idiots would be saying that the discussion of the awful pitch was an excuse.

20. johnbarley2

johnbarley2 Member+

Jan 19, 2013
    The problem with Acuña is that we expect him to sometimes pull out a great cross or dribble but he does so less and less.

Molina's problem is not speed but bad marking as against France in the 2nd goal. Loco por River is right that he's good runner but a poor dribbler and not great passer.

Tag is solid defender and very poor offensively.

Montiel is good all around but hasn't been in form for awhile.

Basically, we have 4 mediocre fullbacks.

Rattlehead repped this.
  21. johnbarley2

johnbarley2 Member+

Jan 19, 2013
    This is the elephant in the room!!! A second reason why Di Maria should not start. Have Garnacho start, wear out the defense and Di Maria come in to perform magic once they're worn out and not pressing us as much.

22. AgentOfR9

AgentOfR9 Member

Real Madrid
    Argentina
    Jul 21, 2021
    Yeah against Brazil he was great, he went out to park the bus that day and it suited him with his physical presence.

He has not had a great game for us since, his lack of pace is a big issue down the flank especially with how we play.

Barco would have made a difference.

23. AgentOfR9

AgentOfR9 Member

Real Madrid
    Argentina
    Jul 21, 2021
    For me, Garnacho shouldn’t have even made the squad over Soule and Barco.

I’d play Carboni at this point tbh.

24. johnbarley2

johnbarley2 Member+

Jan 19, 2013
    Garnacho had a great season in the most difficult league. He looked good in the friendly that he got minutes and his skills are exactly what we need.

Soule doesn't add anything we are missing. I would have liked to see Barco over Acuña.

Burr and soul24rage repped this.
  25. Rattlehead

Rattlehead Member+

Barcelona, Inter Milan
    Argentina
    Jun 21, 2010
    Jakarta
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    [
    Also probably why Scaloni plays Nico alot , to cover our left fullback.

Tagli actually made one dangerous run into the box againts Canada when he came in, also scored in qualifier (I think vs Bolivia). Maybe he finally dare venture forward after winning the WC lol

Burr, soul24rage and johnbarley2 repped this.