Copa America 2024 Discussion

Discussion in 'Argentina: Selecciones Nacionales' started by soul24rage, May 10, 2024.

1. SupaMario

SupaMario Member+

Aug 31, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA Tigre
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Well, first of all,, godspeed on your new journey in HotLanta. As loco mentioned, StubHub is 100% legit. However, I think the best way to get tickets for the best price is going to the event and you’ll find scalpers. As the event nears, they’ll want to sell their tickets for basically any price(face value to break even or at times a bit less). You just ask them to come with you to the ticket booth with the ticket or code.

I’ve done this countless times for concerts and other sporting events. I remember a few years back, me and and a friend got an entire VIP booth for the Kings v Blackhawks game from a scalper for peanuts. It had its own bathroom and etc, we did not have to sit or share among the plebs.

But anywho, that’s another option. Enjoy the game if you do attend. And naturally us peasants get shafted out of any games on the West Coast. Oh, well. I guess we will save our money for the Mundial.

soul24rage and afar repped this.
  2. SupaMario

SupaMario Member+

Aug 31, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA Tigre
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I guess this will be our warmup kits. Kinda nice. I would put the AFA badge on the side and perhaps put the years we won on each star in gold(or could just leave it blank).

[​IMG]

Rattlehead, soul24rage and afar repped this.
  3. Burr

Burr Member+

Boca Juniors
    Argentina
    Jul 8, 2014
    Tampa, FL
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Rattlehead, soul24rage and afar repped this.
  4. afar

afar Member+

Apr 26, 2007

Thank you, loco and SupaMario!

After your posts, I decided to get two tickets from Stubhub, really nice seats at Level 1.

Cost me a cool $1500.

But like you said, loco, these were resale tickets, and the original ticket holder transferred the tickets to me on Ticketmaster within minutes.

All worked out great!

SupaMario, I like your other idea too - but for this one I really wanted to make sure I got the tickets. My younger brother’s birthday is a day earlier, so I wanted to get it as a gift for him also (albeit a really expensive one!)

Can’t contain my excitement right now.

Thank you for your wishes, SupaMario, as well. We lived in Atlanta for 19 years before moving to Houston, so that is kind of home.

God-willing we win this tournament as well.

ganapordiego, Burr, SupaMario and 2 others repped this.
  5. soul24rage

soul24rage Member+

Barcelona
    Jun 13, 2009
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    In his twitch stream a couple of hours ago, Gaston mentioned these are the ones confirmed. (the ones with a * next to them are the ones that are not guaranteed but have good chances)

GK: Dibu, Armani, Benitez

RB: Molina, Montiel*
    CB: Cuti, Otamendi, Pezzella, Licha
    LB: Tagliafico, Acuna*

CM: Paredes, RDP, Lo Celso, Enzo, MacA, Palacios, Guido*

Attackers: Messi, Di Maria, Alvarez, Lautaro, Nico Gonzalez, Dybala, Garnacho*

- Barco, Soule and Beltran are more suited for the Olympics
    - Musso, Foyth, Maffeo, Ocampos and A. Correa are not going to the Copa America
    - Either Nehuen Perez or Senesi or Buonanotte has chances to go for the last spot

SupaMario repped this.
  6. Rattlehead

Rattlehead Member+

Barcelona, Inter Milan
    Argentina
    Jun 21, 2010
    Jakarta
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    #31 Rattlehead, May 16, 2024
    Last edited: May 16, 2024
    That's actually worrying. Licha just recovered, only played 10 games this season, Otamendi is getting even slower and Pezzella... Uruguay and Brazil has young players that could exploit that.

The only new additions are basically Garnacho and Palacios. Nico is redundant but he has 10 league goals this season and was in Conference league fina,l I can see why he managed to sneaked his way into the squad.

7. Rattlehead

Rattlehead Member+

Barcelona, Inter Milan
    Argentina
    Jun 21, 2010
    Jakarta
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    If Uruguay is allowed to have 4, we can have 6:D

8. pipinogol

pipinogol Member+

May 20, 2016
    Club:
    Cary RailHawks U23
    Palacios is not a new addition, he has been there for years...

After this copa I see Otamendi, Pezzella, Armani, Guido and maybe even Acuña retiring or being phased out.

I also foresee some players who'll have to fight to keep their place in the squad towards the world cup: Gonzalez, Paredes, Montiel, Lo Celso, Dybala. These guys will be in trouble if they don't step up given there's serious talent coming up in their positions (maybe not in the case of Montiel, that rather depends on his level).

9. soul24rage

soul24rage Member+

Barcelona
    Jun 13, 2009
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    #34 soul24rage, May 20, 2024
    Last edited: May 20, 2024
    The 29 player Preliminary squad for the Copa America

GK: Dibu, Armani, Rulli
    RB: Molina, Montiel
    CB: Romero, Otamendi, Balerdi, Pezzella, Quarta, Lisandro
    LB: Acuna, Tagliafico, Barco

CDM: Paredes, Enzo, Guido
    CM: RDP, MacAllister, Lo Celso, Palacios

RW: Di Maria, Valentin Carboni
    CAM: Messi, Angel Correa
    LW: Garnacho, Nicolas Gonzalez
    ST: Julian, Lautaro

Note:
    - Biggest Omission is Dybala. Seems like his injury is really bad.
    - For me, Senesi should have been in the preliminary list from the season that he had.
    - No Benitez, which is weird as he was called in the squad frequently.
    - Good to see Balerdi on the list. He's been great this season.
    - Hopefully, Barco is in the main squad. We need to incorporate the new LB soon.

The 3 players that I could see being removed: Quarta, Carboni, and A. Correa

EDIT: from Gaston's latest tweet, it seems like 2 defenders will be out and the last player to be taken out will be a midfielder/forward. My guess it will be Balerdi, Barco and Valentin Carboni.

[​IMG]

SupaMario and locoxriver repped this.
  10. locoxriver

locoxriver Moderator
    Staff Member

May 22, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    If I were to guess, the three cuts are Balerdi, Carboni, and Barco.. Barco probably could be useful, but it’s a bit redundant to have 3 LBs in your roster. Plus I imagine they’ll try taking him to the Olympics, where he’d have a much more prominent role (assuming Brighton works with us).

Anyway, good squad overall. I might have gone with Soule over Garnacho or Varela over Guido, but I wasn’t expecting that to happen. But hey, at least thank god the days of Joaquin Correa are long over. Remember when Julian used to be behind him in the pecking order? If he hadn’t gotten injured right before the WC we’d probably still be putting up with him. Now Nico Gonzalez is the new perro

soul24rage, Burr and SupaMario repped this.
  11. Rattlehead

Rattlehead Member+

Barcelona, Inter Milan
    Argentina
    Jun 21, 2010
    Jakarta
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Which mean nothing new compare to previous tournament other than Garnacho.....off course there will be Armani, Pezzella & A.Correa rounding the list. Soule should have been there instead of Nico.

12. Rattlehead

Rattlehead Member+

Barcelona, Inter Milan
    Argentina
    Jun 21, 2010
    Jakarta
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Last time I checked he has an astounding season with Marseille , zero goal in almost 20 games.

locoxriver repped this.
  13. SupaMario

SupaMario Member+

Aug 31, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA Tigre
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Very little surprises from Scaloni. Pezzella, and Quarta… I mean really? Pezzella is walking disaster and I don’t known what kinda season Chino had for Viola. I heard Senesi had a solid season in England.

Dybala was on the bench for Roma and was subbed in very late, so I’m not sure how bad that injury really was. Maybe he could be one of the three over 23s in the Olympics?

Edit. I see he came in at the hour mark and was subbed off at the 90th minute. Maybe he came back far too quickly.

Guido… Again,‘I’m not so sure about that inclusion.

Scaloni is getting a bit predictable. Hopefully this changes after the tournament. I hope he does not think he could take the same exact roster to North America that won him the trophy in Qatar. But I think things will be tweaked after the tourney.

soul24rage and ganapordiego repped this.
  14. Loco

Loco BigSoccer Yellow Card

River Plate
    Argentina
    May 1, 2005
    Miami
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Is Carboni over Soule what happened? I rated Soule higher than Carboni as a winger playing on the right side as a "Di Maria sub" -

I know Carboni appears to be more malleable (can play striker, creator/attacker in the central midfield role) But the malleability aspect aside, I thought that Soule was lights out more talented.

ganapordiego repped this.
  15. SupaMario

SupaMario Member+

Aug 31, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA Tigre
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I think it was established that Soulé was going to the Olympics. Carboni with his brief cameo v CR played well. He’s got a solid first step to get away from defenders.

Loco repped this.
  16. Leon12

Leon12 Member+

Jan 5, 2006
    Man of the world
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I assume Dybala's absence is due to injury? Otherwise it doesn't make sense. Hope Garnacho makes the final 26, he's been very inconsistent but his pace could be useful if he comes on as a sub late in games.

17. Loco

Loco BigSoccer Yellow Card

River Plate
    Argentina
    May 1, 2005
    Miami
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Is Carboni a preliminary guy that will be brought in to make him "feel like part of the Albiceleste" but in reality is always destined to play at the Olympics?

Inter Milan loaned Carboni to Monza and this summer V Carboni either goes back to Inter to be a member of the bench for inter - or, he will be sold. That's why he may not be allowed to go to the Olympics but can't be denied a call up for the senior NT

SupaMario repped this.
  18. AgentOfR9

AgentOfR9 Member

Real Madrid
    Argentina
    Jul 21, 2021
    My friend says that Argentina, like every country that won the WC, will honor the players that won it by letting them play in the next Copa America/whatever major tournament.

That is why Guido, Pezzella, Otamendi and Acuna will be a part of it again, even though it can be easily argued that their time has past.

19. AgentOfR9

AgentOfR9 Member

Real Madrid
    Argentina
    Jul 21, 2021
    Personally, I would have gone:

Dibu, Benitez, Musso

Molina, Montiel, Romero, Otamendi, Balerdi, LMQ, Senesi, Barco, Tagliafico

Varela, Palacios, Paredes, Fernandez, Macca, De Paul, Lo Celso

Messi, Di Maria, Dybala, Lautaro, Alvarez, Soule, Echeverri

I think this team maximizes Argentina's ability to play as a high-pressing possession team, good ball players all throughout the lineup except Montiel and Otamendi.

DrScorpio repped this.
  20. soul24rage

soul24rage Member+

Barcelona
    Jun 13, 2009
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    In a way, I agree with you that 3 LBs is redundant and unfortunately, I do think that Barco will be cut off. However, we will probably be needing a new LB after the Copa due to age of Tagliafico + Acuna and seeing how limited the training time is for that national team, Barco training with the national team for a month could be invaluable in building chemistry and getting to know the team and Scaloni's tactics.

Overall, good squad. Could have been better imo but I trust Scaloni. Hoping we win this Copa.

locoxriver repped this.
  21. AgentOfR9

AgentOfR9 Member

Real Madrid
    Argentina
    Jul 21, 2021
    Personally, I would be more comfortable trying Barco as a winger than Garnacho.

22. SupaMario

SupaMario Member+

Aug 31, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA Tigre
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    He’ll go and use Nico G as a defender. I think this was his intentions for Qatar. It did not make sense when Acuña came on when Tagliafico was still on the pitch. Since Nico’s contribution are mainly being a threat in the air, and run up and down the pitch without getting tired, he’ll be there. Now, if you ask him to kick the ball, cross yourself and hope for the best.

soul24rage repped this.
  23. Leon12

Leon12 Member+

Jan 5, 2006
    Man of the world
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    If that's the case why no Dybala?

24. Milan05

Milan05 Member

Dec 2, 2015
    Club:
    AC Milan
    I don't want to place too much pressure, but this Argentina side has a serious opportunity to become immortal in football history.

2021 Copa America
    2022 Finallisma
    2022 World Cup
    2024 Copa America

All in the space of a few years would be an unbelievable achievement.

I concede that this team is on paper not as talented as legendary successful teams of the past from Brazil or Spain, but if they win 4 trophies in 3 years, who cares? Plus Argentina has a player that most people view as the best ever.

barcaq8, soul24rage, Burr and 1 other person repped this.
  25. Leon12

Leon12 Member+

Jan 5, 2006
    Man of the world
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I believe Spain are the only national team to win 3 international tournaments back to back, so would be great to make history alongside them.