Copa America 2024 Discussion

Discussion in 'Argentina: Selecciones Nacionales' started by soul24rage, May 10, 2024.

1. Fangio

Fangio New Member

Boca Juniors
    Argentina
    May 15, 2024
    Dunno, but I guess nothing, he was clearly trying (at least a couple of minutes) some of the not so usual suspects:
    Licha, Lo Celso, Correa, MQ, Nico, Exe, testing without Messi and such.

Too rough for my taste being a friendly so close to the Copa

2. Rattlehead

Rattlehead Member+

Barcelona, Inter Milan
    Argentina
    Jun 21, 2010
    Jakarta
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Everytime we're about to score...

but it's Nico's chance...

[​IMG]

Albiceleste2010 and ganapordiego repped this.
  3. soul24rage

soul24rage Member+

Barcelona
    Jun 13, 2009
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
  4. Rattlehead

Rattlehead Member+

Barcelona, Inter Milan
    Argentina
    Jun 21, 2010
    Jakarta
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    He run half the pitch distance without ever knowing his teammates position. Much like Tucu.

5. SupaMario

SupaMario Member+

Aug 31, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA Tigre
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Can you imagine if it was HE or who was on that breakaway v France, mamita.

6. Rattlehead

Rattlehead Member+

Barcelona, Inter Milan
    Argentina
    Jun 21, 2010
    Jakarta
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    This is the problem of trying to have goalscorer that could act as an extra midfielder. Most of the time they cant finish. Julian is an exception during the WC, but even him hasnt score since WC's over.

If this guy playing 80 minutes in Copa, he'd still have more end product than Nico does in 5-7 matches.

aerez, afar and soul24rage repped this.
  7. Christina99

Christina99 Member+

Argentina
    Sep 22, 2013
    Buenos Aires
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Im afraid we'll have a very smooth path to the finals, not so much because of us, but cause the rest of the teams SUCK big time:cry:, like, all the CONCACAF team are atrocious we could score 5 or 6 goals against any of them with our eyes closed. And the CONMEBOL teams from our side of the bracket are in bad shape rn, so they are not gonna be a problem.

Our only rivals are Colombia and Uruguay, and they are on the other side of the bracket, so we'll meet them in the finals. We are still the favourites by a long shot:whistling:

Rattlehead, Gregoire and SupaMario repped this.
  8. pipinogol

pipinogol Member+

May 20, 2016
    Club:
    Cary RailHawks U23
    We have no goal threat without Messi or Di Maria.

I've given up completely on Gonzalez, he simply shouldn't be getting this many minutes let alone starting (as I suspect he will in the first competitive game).
    Lautaro and Julian are pathetic right now. Nobody is scared of playing against them.

9. aerez

aerez Member+

River Plate
    Argentina
    Jul 8, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I have to agree. We gave them a pass because of their preformances for club, Copa America and World Cup wins.

Now it's put up or shut up. If those two aren't scoring, we're in big trouble.

10. Rattlehead

Rattlehead Member+

Barcelona, Inter Milan
    Argentina
    Jun 21, 2010
    Jakarta
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Nico shouldnt be nowhere near the team. Garnacho should be replacing Julian if Lautaro is playing.

11. Rattlehead

Rattlehead Member+

Barcelona, Inter Milan
    Argentina
    Jun 21, 2010
    Jakarta
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    The problem though, Lautaro is 8 goals clear of anyone in serie A. So he's actually in form but clearly has that Higuain syndrome in NT. I had no idea how he actually dispatched our last penalty perfectly against Colombia & Netherlands.

To makes it worst, our midfielders has tendency to forced passing the ball to Messi.

12. Ozora

Ozora Member+

Barcelona
    Spain
    Aug 5, 2014
    Club:
    Chelsea LFC
    Couldn't watch the game. How did the team play??? I hope some solid displays.

13. Albiceleste2010

Albiceleste2010 Member+

Watford
    Argentina
    Jun 5, 2010
    Watford
    Club:
    Watford FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Just watched the game. Comfortable win but again chances need to be put away. The technique and passing ability is on another level compared to Ecuador who huffed and puffed and couldn't get remotely close to blowing Scaloni's house down.

Good to see the likes of Licha and Enzo who was rusty and Julian get minutes. Romero could play anywhere on the pitch. His assist to di Maria was delicious.

Again why is it that Garnacho is behind Gonsalez ? I know it's been highlighted above but his inability to see Messi on the counter was appalling. It's like he runs down a tunnel with his eyes closed every time either conceding possession or slowing the attack. Lo Celso looked sharp in contrast. But Garnacho I am sure despite his youth would at the very least still picked his head up to pick out Messi.

Lionel S needs to get him in. Ditto for Palacios. Not enough game time given to him again. Licha apart from the one short back pass was impressive and Romero is just Romero. I'd keep this pairing. Need more from the fullbacks. Also Paredes. He still lacks the urgency at five.

I know it's a bit early but we need to get the younger fullbacks in to provide more dynamism, remove several players inc. Gonsalez and get some of the pibes integrated.

Overall though a great performance for players who've not trained much together despite familiarity and some good fitness obtained. And no injuries despite the reckless tackling from idiots like Caicedo. I'm sure Lautaro and the midfield will contribute goals in due course. Angelito of course was his usual self. Magnificent.

johnbarley2, locoxriver, Burr and 5 others repped this.
  14. SupaMario

SupaMario Member+

Aug 31, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA Tigre
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    The team looked quite good. Flicks and tricks. Lautaro was off once more. The finishing left a lot to be desired. But honestly; the team was just coasting

15. Leon12

Leon12 Member+

Jan 5, 2006
    Man of the world
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Don't want to get obsessive over Nico but honestly the guy should be nowhere near the NT. Scaloni obviously loves him, as do senior members of the squad, but seriously how is he starting and starting ahead of the likes of Garnacho? Can't be critical of Scaloni as we are champions of everything but he does have a blind spot when it comes to Nico.

Albiceleste2010 and Rattlehead repped this.
  16. Leon12

Leon12 Member+

Jan 5, 2006
    Man of the world
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Lol, we are back to the days of when Aguero and Higuain were scoring in every match for their repesctive club teams but couldn't hit a barn door when they were playing for Argentina. Difference now being we have won everything.

17. Rattlehead

Rattlehead Member+

Barcelona, Inter Milan
    Argentina
    Jun 21, 2010
    Jakarta
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Tevez aswell.

Higuain was actually great between 2009-2016 (except for every finals) , but after that comical miss in 2016 final, he cant score for the NT anymore even if the goal is as wide as Titanic. His miss againts Nigeria in WC 2018 was so spectacular that the camera immediately showed Diego doing double face palm lol

johnbarley2 and Leon12 repped this.
  18. AgentOfR9

AgentOfR9 Member

Real Madrid
    Argentina
    Jul 21, 2021

Against Australia he got dribbled past by Behiz and in the last minute, failed to clear the cross to Kuol which led to a golden chance.

19. Rattlehead

Rattlehead Member+

Barcelona, Inter Milan
    Argentina
    Jun 21, 2010
    Jakarta
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    If Higuain finish off Tony Kroos backheader pass to him, Germany golden generation would finished without a single trophy.

Also, how do you rate David Luiz when he conceided 10 goals againts Germany & Netherlands?

20. Leon12

Leon12 Member+

Jan 5, 2006
    Man of the world
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    And if my aunt had a d**k she'd be my uncle :ROFLMAO::D

21. johnbarley2

johnbarley2 Member+

Jan 19, 2013
    Thought Lisandro was good. Hope Scaloni is considering starting him.

soul24rage and ganapordiego repped this.
  22. johnbarley2

johnbarley2 Member+

Jan 19, 2013
    I thought Julian should have taken the shot on that ball he stole in the opponents box. He was too unselfish passing it to Messi. Did he have a single shot the entire match? As for Latuaro, I only remember the header off of the excellent cross by RDP.

Players who played well: RDP, Lisandro, Paredes, Di Maria, Montiel, Romero (well that's just a given).

23. johnbarley2

johnbarley2 Member+

Jan 19, 2013
    The big difference is we are clicking. In this match, in the first half Scaloni tried Julian in the Messi role. He's thinking Messi won't be able to play the full 90 every match or might get injured. Julian did a pretty good job. Once Messi came on, we were back to the World Cup Messi as enganche and Julian as striker. I'm guessing Scaloni will go with Julian as our starting striker.

Gregoire, soul24rage and Rattlehead repped this.
  24. Rattlehead

Rattlehead Member+

Barcelona, Inter Milan
    Argentina
    Jun 21, 2010
    Jakarta
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Its been mentioned few times here, the players needs to be more selfish in final third of the pitch. Our players tend to forced themselves passing the ball to Messi just so he can score his 10,000th goals. The one that should do the opposite is Nico because he scores like 2 goals in every 4 years.

There's a moment where Enzo can simply cut to the right and shoot (he did against Mexico), but somehow he tries to feed Messi from such a close range.

Agree with Lautaro, in all recent matches which he played, he receives like 1-2 good chances at max. Scaloni never rely to his #9 to score goals, which is why he never seems to worry about it. Julian always drop deep whenever he plays, the same with Nico because Scaloni prefers the second forward to act as an extra midfielder.

ganapordiego repped this.
  25. soul24rage

soul24rage Member+

Barcelona
    Jun 13, 2009
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    For me personally, hopefully vs Guatemala, we see this team

-------------------------Lautaro
    Garnacho------------------------------------Messi
    --------------MacAllister--------Palacios
    -------------------------Enzo
    Barco-----Lisandro--------Balerdi---------Molina
    -------------------------Dibu

Would be brilliant to see how Messi combines with Garnacho and Barco

ganapordiego and Rattlehead repped this.