Copa America 2021 - Final - Brasil x Argentina - 7/10/21 [R]

Discussion in 'Brazil' started by celito, Jul 7, 2021.

1. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Let's do a dedicated thread for the final just because.

As I've said before, past 20 years, we play Argentina coming in better, we win, we play them when they are in better form ... we still win. I like that stat and really hoping to keep it that way. :thumbsup:

As a kicker, we can extend their drought.

For nostalgia sake, some memorable Copa America matches between us and the Argies.

2019 SF

2007 Final

2004 Final

1999 QF

1989 Final Group Game (Bebeto's goal is my favorite of the lot)

@Mengão86 @Century's Best @IVO ! @Ombak @Estuardo A. Lopez @Kaka10725

IVO ! and Ombak repped this.
  2. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    That was good, but the fact that we fouled them 39 times bothered me. I liked our beating of them in Confed Cup 2015. Foi um passeio. The 89 CA win over them marked me a lot as well even if it was not a final. Another sick game we had vs them was the 99 friendly (4 x 2 win) under Luxemburgo. If you never watched that game you need to do yourself a favor and do it. Ronaldo, Rivaldo, RC and even a young Ronaldinho straight out balling.

3. Ombak

Ombak Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Apr 19, 1999
    Irvine, CA
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Thanks celito, a Brazil x Argentina final definitely deserves its own thread.

Some of my favorite Brazil x Argentina games are some of the 3x1 results we had in qualifying: Ronaldo's PK hat-trick, Luis Fabiano's brace, including a sweet chip after a beautiful pass from Kaká.

Copa América 89 was the first time I remember getting excited about the seleção and the goals we scored in the final stage were sweet.

97 and 99 we got to watch Ronaldo rampage through Copa América. What a privilege.

But my favorite Copa América is definitely 2004. We were not meant to win that. The difference between the two rosters was insane... but we all know what happened.

Here's hoping we win this one too.

4. Century's Best

Century's Best Member+

Jul 29, 2003
    USA
    Agreed. As I'm sure you and others here noticed I abstained from writing pre-game threads for this tournament (I did them in 2019). But for the final, it's worth having one.

I lost my voice in 2004. That illustrates how much I celebrated Adriano's late equalizer.

I enjoyed all these games that Celito mentioned, but I think one differential for this match is that the Argentines are coming extremely hungry. More even so than in 2019. And several of them were at Belo Horizonte 2 years ago; they think they were robbed and want payback; and, they'd like nothing more than to exact revenge by beating Brazil in Brazil - something they haven't done since a 1998 friendly right before the World Cup in France.

But in addition to the historical rivalry and theirs (and ours, obviously) desire to win, it's a logical final. Brazil has the tournament's best defense (2 goals allowed, none in the knockout rounds) and best offense (12 goals scored). Argentina is not far behind with 3 goals allowed and 11 goals scored. Both teams had one PK awarded, and both scored it.

Brazil will not be an easy hurdle for Argentina to overcome, and not just because Brazil is the better team. Psychologically, they have the burden of 15 years without defeating Brazil in an official match and 28 years without eliminating Brazil in a knockout round confrontation - a period during which Brazil eliminated Argentina 7 times (1995, 1997, 1999, 2004, 2005, 2007, 2019).

I hope that this weekend makes it 8 times.

5. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Interesting anecdote from Adriano's goal in the 2004 CA final. In a recent interview, in that play, he said he went up for the cross with the intention of just elbowing an Argentinean player. But the ball ended up falling nicely to him. If you look at the replay, you can see him throw the elbow but catch nobody.

6. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    In the 89 game, @ 2:42 is one of the goals that I really wished would have happened. What a play from Romario.

I like the Bebeto goal because the trap from Romario was sublime (not sure if Silas actually intended that pass), the layup was perfect, and volley just beautiful. Just a beautiful goal all around.

7. Ofori

Ofori Red Card

Inter Milan
    Ghana
    May 9, 2020
    For Brazil you guys have a chance to repeat as Copa America Champions and going back to back if you guys win tomorrow. Honestly, considering you guys didn't even want to host initially because of COVID you guys have made it work

8. IVO !

IVO ! Member

Feb 25, 2009
    RIO AND CHICAGO
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    I miss your pre-game thread !!
    Today is my 65th birthday !! Senior citizen, lol, going on 21. The bunda Brasileira keeps me young. Nice present will be a big win tomorrow !!
    PRA FRENTE BRASIL !!!

9. Ofori

Ofori Red Card

Inter Milan
    Ghana
    May 9, 2020
    Brazil going back to back it could happen

10. Century's Best

Century's Best Member+

Jul 29, 2003
    USA
    Happy birthday! I hope your birthday celebrations are complemented by a title victory by Brazil tomorrow.

IVO ! and Ofori repped this.
  11. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Essa galera Brasileira ai torcendo pro Messi ganhar a Copa acho que só fizeram a seleção mais focada em ganhar.

12. IVO !

IVO ! Member

Feb 25, 2009
    RIO AND CHICAGO
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    BABACAS !

13. Brazil_1500

Brazil_1500 Member

Nov 3, 2003
    NY
    Probably petistas aholes.

14. Mesousa

Mesousa Member

Apr 19, 2010
    Club:
    Bahia Salvador
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Traição.

Nothing more nothing less.

15. Kaka10725

Kaka10725 Member+

Jun 1, 2007
    Paqueta has been terrible

16. Brazil_1500

Brazil_1500 Member

Nov 3, 2003
    NY
    Too many wrong passes by Brazil, and the referee gave Argentina liberty to commit to many fouls.

17. Mesousa

Mesousa Member

Apr 19, 2010
    Club:
    Bahia Salvador
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    bullshit we didnt get the full 5 minutes

18. Brazil_1500

Brazil_1500 Member

Nov 3, 2003
    NY
    tite coaching sucks major balls, no vision whatsoever and that referee already knew who he wanted to win.

19. passat1976

passat1976 Member+

Oct 19, 2007
    USA
    Club:
    Universitario de Deportes
    Nat'l Team:
    Peru
    At the end of day, Brazil was never able to match Argentina's intensity... It was one epic game by Argentina.

20. Kaka10725

Kaka10725 Member+

Jun 1, 2007
    We need some new blood

21. MerlinRM

MerlinRM Member+

May 5, 2014
    NorthEast USA
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Wtf how disappointing.

22. Brazil_1500

Brazil_1500 Member

Nov 3, 2003
    NY
    We have to start with a New Coach asap!

23. Kaka10725

Kaka10725 Member+

Jun 1, 2007
    Tite is the best coach we had but honestly this pool of players especially in attack are poor. If we are to challenge for a World Cup, we need a quality striker to partner with Neymar.

24. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    #24 celito, Jul 10, 2021
    Last edited: Jul 10, 2021
    We had 90 mins . A few extra few secs wasn’t the problem .

25. Brazil_1500

Brazil_1500 Member

Nov 3, 2003
    NY
    How tite expect a team to win with so many wrong passes and no vision when to make a proper change to the game and take advantage from an attacking lineup that Argentina had tonight.