Copa America 2019

Discussion in 'Brazil' started by omajac, Oct 8, 2018.

1. omajac

omajac Member+

Feb 9, 2002
    East Orange, New Jersey, USA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Tite will name up his Copa 23 in a less than an hour!!

2. Mengão86

Mengão86 Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Brazil
    Nov 16, 2005
    Maryland, RJ/ES/PE
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Alisson, Ederson e Cássio;
    Dani Alves, Fagner, Alex Sandro e Filipe Luís
    Thiago Silva, Marquinhos, Miranda e Militão
    Fernandinho, Paquetá, Casemiro, Arthur, Allan
    Neres, Neymar, Firmino, Jesus, Richarlison, Everton

3. Mengão86

Mengão86 Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Brazil
    Nov 16, 2005
    Maryland, RJ/ES/PE
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    15/23 = 65%. Poor.

4. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    I need to see how I did :ROFLMAO:

5. Mengão86

Mengão86 Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Brazil
    Nov 16, 2005
    Maryland, RJ/ES/PE
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    I see some people losing their minds over Lucas Moura not being called. I think they are overreacting to the magnitude of what he did. I'd like to think the Selecao is bigger than calling someone over one moment. The biggest omission to me is Fernandinho over Fabinho.

celito repped this.
  6. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Yep. Before 2 weeks ago many probably couldn’t tell where he was playing . :ROFLMAO:

7. joudre

joudre Member

Jan 3, 2016
    Fenandhino again

8. Ombak

Ombak Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Apr 19, 1999
    Irvine, CA
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Just about the most unexciting convocação I've experienced in a while. Biggest disapointment is Fernandinho instead of Fabinho. Fernandinho is 34 and a back-up to Casemiro for us. But the pressure to win Copa America means Tite will take his safest bets. Thiago Silva also a bit disappointing, but considering he's seen as a leader, less surprising. Neither of those two should be on the list for 2022, but both will probably spend most of Copa America on the bench.

9. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Jesus surprised me a bit. Fernandinho .... what can I say, Tite wants experience in that position and defense . Only he is getting experience in fuking up. The guy is 34 ... Tite has all excuses he wants to not call him. He is a baba ovo for Pep.

Fagner did not surprise me . And I thought he’d call up RA. I was hoping Vini Jr would get the nod , but for whatever reason , there isn’t much hype around him in Brazil.

astinus4, MiamiNative0722 and Mengão86 repped this.
  10. Mengão86

Mengão86 Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Brazil
    Nov 16, 2005
    Maryland, RJ/ES/PE
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    The injury really tempered any chatter about Vini Jr. I also thought he was on track to be called.

MiamiNative0722 repped this.
  11. Century's Best

Century's Best Member+

Jul 29, 2003
    USA
    I agree that Fernandinho *probably* shouldn't be there given he is 34 and given Fabinho is tearing it apart at Liverpool. I would also say that much of the angst against Fernandinho is him having cost Brazil 2014 and 2018 (although in 2014 it was hardly him alone at fault).

Manchester City however has had a great season, with only six losses, and they are the #1 in the Premiership at the moment. Fernandinho hasn't been doing too bad for them either.

I agree with you that Tite is playing it safely - it's as if he simply wants to maximize his chances of winning the title (even though he said in January that there's no obligation to win the title), and should Brazil do well in the tournament, which would then ensure he stays on as manager, he can then start more drastic roster changes.

Lastly, if we compare today's list to the list from late February, for the Panama and Czech Republic matches, 19 of the 23 from that call-up were capped today. Again, Fabinho is the big absence.

Alisson, Ederson, Dani Alves, Alex Sandro, Filipe Luís, Thiago Silva, Marquinhos, Miranda, Militão, Paquetá, Casemiro, Arthur, Allan, Coutinho,Neymar, Firmino, Jesus, Richarlison, Everton.

Neres did join the team because Vinicius Jr was released from the original list; Filipe Luís, originally capped, was replaced by Alex Telles, and Dani Alves was in the original list but replaced by Fagner.

So it's nearly 100% the same team from March. The team *should* have good chemistry. But will it?

12. omajac

omajac Member+

Feb 9, 2002
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    D. Alves, Thiago Silva, and Fernandinho for the last hurrah!! Damn and I thought 41-year-old Formiga being called up to the WWC team was going to raise some eyebrows, but Tite told Vadao to 'hold my beer'!!:ROFLMAO:

13. omajac

omajac Member+

Feb 9, 2002
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Shit that's ok Professor Mengao!! I got extra credits(injuries) to count on!!:cry::ROFLMAO:

14. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Fernandinho was voted by many on their EPL team of the year. But I wouldn't care. Too much baggage with us. But if he plays, I hope for him that he can redeem himself a bit.

15. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Is anybody here convinced by Everton ?

16. Mengão86

Mengão86 Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Brazil
    Nov 16, 2005
    Maryland, RJ/ES/PE
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Who is many?

17. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    This many :ROFLMAO:

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/48028713

Maybe I exaggerated, but I saw him also on another british media outlet team of the season ... can't remember where now.

18. Ombak

Ombak Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Apr 19, 1999
    Irvine, CA
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    What bugs me about the Fernandinho call-up is that this safe approach doesn't require Fernandinho. If he dropped Neymar and didn't win Copa America, he'd be on thin ice or fired.

Many other names would be brought up if he had not included them in order to test someone out and ended up losing. Dani Alves, Thiago Silva, Firmino and many others to some degree.

But the one player I can't imagine anyone saying "what if" about if we lost is Fernandinho.

So in a way, Fernandinho being dropped would have been very very safe. Missed opportunity, just to hold on to one guy he likes for one more tournament?

celito repped this.
  19. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Man city having six losses is a silly argument though. Liverpool has only 1 loss with Fabinho.

20. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    I about puked when Tite opened his call up speaking about diivertimento and conpremetimento .... good thing he kept it short . His convoluted speeches are getting tiresome .

21. Mengão86

Mengão86 Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Brazil
    Nov 16, 2005
    Maryland, RJ/ES/PE
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Pep gushes about Fernandinho’s role in his system and Tite gets carried away. The problem is Fernandinho isn’t playing the same role as he does at City.

celito repped this.
  22. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Basically 3 out of 4 defenders and the DM won't be in 2022.

23. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Looking at the controversial call ups and what Tite is probably thinking:

- The old defense - he is worried about his job + not many great younger options. It's a concern post CA but Tite feels like he needs to win to keep his job.
    - Fernandinho - he considers what happened in 2014 and 2018 not much his fault and is banking on his club form as the norm. Interesting that he is creating this much controversy for a bench player.
    - G. Jesus - we really don't have a center forward. Firmino and Richarlyson aren't really it. Plus, since he played so well in WCQ vs SA teams, perhaps he can play like that again. Again, he is going for something safe that was tried and proven. He can try Firmino or Richarlyson but he has Jesus to fall back on.
    - Coutinho - in Fernandinho's case he ignores tactical differences between club and NT but here he considers it. He is banking like in GJ's case that Coutinho will play like in WCQ and even in WC where he did pretty good. Plus we lack meias.

Vini Jr. was easy for him to exclude. Injury + very young.

Lucas as well ... as nobody was calling for him until his hat-trick.

DC is one that he has no excuse not to call ... except for injury fears. But he is banking on Neres to provide the same impact DC would.

24. Kaka10725

Kaka10725 Member+

Jun 1, 2007
    I’m not mad at giving the likes of Daniel Alves, Thiago Silva, Filipe Luis, Miranda there last shot at winning an international tournament.

Fernandinho has no business on the NT. In fact, he underperforms for the NT. Fabinho makes more sense considering he can cover two positions if need be.

Estuardo A. Lopez repped this.
  25. Danielito1

Danielito1 Member

Real Madrid
    Jan 16, 2012
    Miami, United States
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Poland
    Do you guys know if there will be any fan zone in Rio de Janeiro or some other Brazilian city during Copa America tournament? Or not really? I know they often set up big monitor on the beach but not sure if this time.