Copa America 2019 Referee Discussion [Rs]

Discussion in 'Referee' started by balu, Mar 30, 2019.

1. Bubba Atlanta

Bubba Atlanta Member+

Mar 2, 2012
    Yep, Atlanta
    Club:
    Atlanta United FC
    ...plus he's got a good start on the Collina eyes.

2. balu

balu Member+

Oct 18, 2013
    Quite ridiculous. So he showed a yellow twice for a 2CT. Unlike in the other game, here the back side of his (second) yellow is red!

3. RedStar91

RedStar91 Member+

Sep 7, 2011
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
    We'll agree to disagree on this. I thought the penalty he missed in the Australia vs. France game that VAR bailed him out on shouldn't have required VAR intervention. He should have gotten it right on the field initially.

The Iran vs. Spain match was essentially a training match of defense vs. attack in the penalty area. To be fair, the Iranians were probably the hardest team to referee in that world cup apart from maybe Tunisia or Uruguay.

In regards to who else could have gotten France vs. Belgium there were plenty of options in my opinion.

Skomina.
    Mateu Lahoz (you know why he didn't get a knockout match?)
    Rocchi
    Kuipers

4. balu

balu Member+

Oct 18, 2013
    With all four remaining teams being European, and Cakir clearly deserving one of the final three matches, this wasn't going to happen.

greek ref repped this.
  5. MassachusettsRef

MassachusettsRef Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, you would think that a moment like this would make him reconsider this obviously poor mechanic.

The penalty itself is interesting. It's an obvious infraction. With VAR, you cannot avoid calling it. But given that shot very likely wasn't on net and the contact with the hand was negligible, I really wonder how much attention would have been on this play--particularly in this given match situation--if it didn't get called. This feels like one of those misses that was okay in the pre-VAR era.

6. balu

balu Member+

Oct 18, 2013
    Back in 2016, when Claudia Umpierrez became the first woman to take charge of a men's professional match in Uruguay, she said: "I’m not in a position to referee a Penarol-Nacional match yet, though obviously I’d love to."

Even though she hasn't taken charge of that top rivalry yet, she did handle two Penarol matches this season. Would be interesting if one day she is assigned this match. At least her card mechanics will surely be better than Cunha's...

http://www.fifa.com/womens-football/news/umpierrez-uruguay-s-woman-in-the-middle-2770828

7. fischietto

fischietto Member

Apr 13, 2018
    And given the shot (probably) was off-target maybe the 2CT could've been avoided.

I've never seen this incident before - can anyone shed light as to what the extended discussion with the CONMEBOL representative was about? Looks like the referees were desperately trying to get the police onto the field and help wasn't forthcoming.

8. RedStar91

RedStar91 Member+

Sep 7, 2011
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
    Probably for the referees own safety. How many cases of referee assault/hostile contact with the referee was there? Any level below the professional level and that type of contact leads to match abandonment.