Copa America 2019 Referee Discussion [Rs]

Discussion in 'Referee' started by balu, Mar 30, 2019.

1. balu

balu Member+

Oct 18, 2013
    Referee: Nestor Pitana (ARG)
    Assistant Referee 1: Hernan Maidana (ARG)
    Assistant Referee 2: Juan Belatti (ARG)

Referee: Gery Vargas (BOL)
    Assistant Referee 1: Jose Antelo (BOL)
    Assistant Referee 2: Edwar Saavedra (BOL)

Referee: Wilton Sampaio (BRA)
    Assistant Referee 1: Rodrigo Correa (BRA)
    Assistant Referee 2: Marcelo Van Gasse (BRA)

Referee: Roberto Tobar (CHI)
    Assistant Referee 1: Christian Schiemann (CHI)
    Assistant Referee 2: Claudio Rios (CHI)

Referee: Wilmar Roldan (COL)
    Assistant Referee 1: Alexander Guzman (COL)
    Assistant Referee 2: Wilmar Navarro (COL)

Referee: Roddy Zambrano (ECU)
    Assistant Referee 1: Christian Lescano (ECU)
    Assistant Referee 2: Byron Romero (ECU)

Referee: Mario Diaz de Vivar (PAR)
    Assistant Referee 1: Eduardo Cardozo (PAR)
    Assistant Referee 2: Dario Gaona (PAR)

Referee: Diego Haro (PER)
    Assistant Referee 1: Jonny Bossio (PER)
    Assistant Referee 2: Victor Raez (PER)

Referee: Esteban Ostojich (URU)
    Assistant Referee 1: Nicolas Taran (URU)
    Assistant Referee 2: Richard Trinidad (URU)

Referee: Alexis Herrera (VEN)
    Assistant Referee 1: Carlos Lopez (VEN)
    Assistant Referee 2: Luis Murillo (VEN)

VARs & Support Referees
    1. Patricio Loustau (ARG)
    2. Fernando Rapallini (ARG)
    3. Raphael Claus (BRA)
    4. Anderson Daronco (BRA)
    5. Julio Bascunan (CHI)
    6. Piero Maza (CHI)
    7. Nicolas Gallo (COL)
    8. Andres Rojas (COL)
    9. Carlos Orbe (ECU)
    10. Arnaldo Samaniego (PAR)
    11. Victor Carrillo (PER)
    12. Leodan Gonzalez (URU)
    13. Jesus Valenzuela (VEN)

AVARs & Reserve ARs
    1. Ezequiel Brailovsky (ARG)
    2. Kleber Gil (BRA)
    3. Alexander Leon (COL)

IASocFan repped this.
  2. MassachusettsRef

MassachusettsRef Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    BRAZIL : BOLIVIA
    Referee: Néstor PITANA (ARG)

Assistant Referee 1: Hernan Maidana (ARG)
    Assistant Referee 2: Juan Belatti (ARG)
    Fourth Official: Roddy Zambrano (ECU)
    Video Assistant Referee: Patricio Loustau (ARG)
    Assistant Video Assistant Referee 1: Fernando Rapallini (ARG)
    Assistant Video Assistant Referee 2: Ezequiel Brailovsky (ARG)

VENEZUELA : PERU
    Referee: Wilmar ROLDAN (COL)

Assistant Referee 1: Alexander Guzmán (COL)
    Assistant Referee 2: Jhon León (COL)
    Fourth Official: Carlos Orbe (ECU)
    Video Assistant Referee: Leodan Gonzalez (URU)
    Assistant Video Assistant Referee 1: Andrés Rojas (COL)
    Assistant Video Assistant Referee 2: Christian Lescano (ECU)

ARGENTINA : COLOMBIA
    Referee: Roberto TOBAR (CHI)

Assistant Referee 1: Christian Schiemann (CHI)
    Assistant Referee 2: Claudio Rios (CHI)
    Fourth Official: Alexis Herrera (VEN)
    Video Assistant Referee: Julio Bascuñán (CHI)
    Assistant Video Assistant Referee 1: Piero Maza (CHI)
    Assistant Video Assistant Referee 2: Nicolás Taran (URU)

3. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Can't remember if we discussed this or not. Did Cunha, who did a WC semifinal, just get slighted or did he fail fitness? Anyone know?

4. RedStar91

RedStar91 Member+

Sep 7, 2011
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
    Its surely Pitana for the Final barring Argentina getting there?

5. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He's being given the opener, though. And politics probably matter in CONMEBOL more than anywhere else. I'm not sure if the CONMEBOL Referee Committee wants to give him the honor of the opener and the final after he got the same honor at the World Cup. Jealously is a heck of a thing, sometimes.

Then again, if Argentina gets eliminated controversially, a Pitana appointment could be a political reward.

If it's Argentina v Brazil, you got to think it is among Roldan, Zambrano and Tobar. But in a short tournament like this, it probably all comes down to performance.

6. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Since CONMEBOL will likely stick to trios, I'll just do CRs and VARs here:

Japan : Chile - DIAZ DE VIVIAR (PAR) [Valenzuela (VEN)]
    Paraguay : Qatar - HARO (PER) [Claus (BRA)]
    Ecuador : Uruguay - DARONCO (BRA) [Sampaio (BRA)]

7. RefIADad

RefIADad Member+

United States
    Aug 18, 2017
    Des Moines, IA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    20 minutes into Brazil-Bolivia, and Pitana has already done an OFR for an alleged possible send off for a challenge. While the challenge was definitely worthy of a caution, it sure seemed more like a way to take the back door to a caution after Pitana ruled the challenge was only a foul.

Thegreatwar repped this.
  8. ManiacalClown

ManiacalClown Member+

Jun 27, 2003
    South Jersey
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm not really sure which aspect of the foul convinced the VAR it should have been red because neither high nor low looked clear and obvious to me.

RefIADad repped this.
  9. gaolin

gaolin Member+

Apr 21, 2019
    2nd half starts.. not even 1 min and an OFR. What do they talk about between the call to wait and the ref going to VAR?

10. LampLighter

LampLighter Red Card

Bugeaters FC
    Apr 13, 2019
    Oh ya know...the weather, what's the meaning of it all, which player has the best legs.

11. gaolin

gaolin Member+

Apr 21, 2019
    That whole penalty took a whole 5 minutes to get sorted out. Talk about ET..

12. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A few things are happening.

The first thing to know is that the first communication is “delay delay delay.” The VAR is simply telling the referee not to restart so he has more time to look at things. You’ve got about 20 cameras to try to look at in most situations. So it’s a long way from “hmm, this might be something” to “oh yeah you need to review this.”

When an incident that could merit review pops up, the VAR timestamps it and starts his check as the AVAR continues to monitor dynamic play.

So after the CR has been told a check is occurring, it can be mostly radio silence while the VAR and AVAR and operator work to find the best angles and determine if they feel they need to make a recommendation for review. In some cases, you will get discussion of “what did you see?” The VAR doesn’t want to make a recommendation for something just for the referee to say “yeah I already saw that and it’s not enough.” Also, the referee might opt to proactively tell the VAR what he saw or felt he missed, so the VAR can be more efficient.

Finally the VAR is deciding on which camera angles to send down before he makes the formal review. In MLS, PRO wants two angles sent with a third one ready if possible/applicable.

Bottom line is a lot is going on. This is much more complicated than most people probably imagine.

jarbitro, celito, me116 and 2 others repped this.
  13. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not sure why that took so long at the RRA. With the right angle from the goal line, that was an easy decision.

gaolin repped this.
  14. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    7' of Venezuela v Peru, Peru scores off a DFK. Ball played in, attacker heads it and collides with goalkeeper. Goalkeeper saves and rebound is converted. Initial attacker has head injury and goalkeeper has injury to mouth/jaw. Initial attacker was also in an OSP. So...

Ball goes in at 6:38 or so. Referee deals with head injuries for awhile. OFR initiated at 9:13. Goal annulled at 10:40.

I get there were injuries, but for a simple offside, things have to be more efficient than that. The replay showed he was a full yard off. This wasn't hard. Also, it was objective. So this shows CONMEBOL is in line with MLS/PRO and requiring an OFR for objective offside decisions right now, unlike FIFA and UEFA. That alone added a full 90 seconds to the delay.

63', delayed offside flag takes out a Peruvian goal. VAR check confirms the decision was right.

In 75', Roldan had a 2CT for a Venezuelan layer. Maybe a little soft at the FIFA level, but easy at this level. Also the first yellow for this player, in the 6', was of the darker shade.

I couldn't watch the whole thing, but from what I saw Roldan looked pretty good in this match. Cards were on. Management was strong. ARs gave good support. Seemed like a positive start for him.

celito repped this.
  15. code1390

code1390 Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You can already tell this ARG:COL match is gonna be intriguing from a ref perspective.

16. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So the check in 35’ was for a handling that may or may not have been in the penalty area, right?

Took awhile, which makes me believe that the VAR determined it was likely handling but then that it did not occur within the PA. The lack of replays so far in this tournament are frustrating—makes it difficult to piece these puzzles together.

17. RedStar91

RedStar91 Member+

Sep 7, 2011
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
    How is that not a pass back? It seems like referees at the highest level have just given up making that call due to just no wanting to deal with the nonsense of managing the wall from that close to goal.

18. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Pretty easy non-VAR penalty decision to start the match in favor of Paraguay.

And then a pretty easy yellow card in 11' that looked like a clear red to me. The Qatari player gets up in the referee's face and tries to tell him to review the card? What the hell is going on right now in world soccer? He was a full second late on the challenge and went knee-to-knee. There probably wasn't enough to give a red by VAR if I'm being consistent, but I definitely would have given a red in dynamic play.

19. gaolin

gaolin Member+

Apr 21, 2019
    Pretty shameful dive from Qatar's #5.

20. ManiacalClown

ManiacalClown Member+

Jun 27, 2003
    South Jersey
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    VAR red to Ecuador for a high arm to the head on an aerial challenge. I like the decision, but I question if this would be considered clear and obvious in an MLS game.

1140386484375183360 is not a valid tweet id

21. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006
    The first week var was implemented in mls ( preseason, I think) Diego chara was sent off for less.

22. code1390

code1390 Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]

I mean I hope that would be a clear and obvious red card in MLS. Forearm into the face with force and the arm is above your head.

23. GlennAA11

GlennAA11 Member+

Jun 12, 2001
    Arlington, VA
    this referee looks like he's been to the gym more times than Ricardo Salazar

24. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think it would in MLS, though I also have some doubts.

It would not have been at the World Cup.

25. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This one was extraordinarily interesting from the VAR perspective. Here’s why:

There was a penalty appeal for a challenge on Qatar’s captain. As the referee turns that appeal aside, the ball falls to #5 who them commits the aforementioned shameful dive. As the ball goes out of play, the referee whistles and makes a calming “everybody stop, I’ve got this” signal, which is not in the manual but important to be able to execute properly.

He intends to card #5 for the dive. That’s why he whistled. But Qatar is still appealing for the first penalty and he placates them by visually demonstrating that the first challenge is being checked as a potential penalty. Check complete, no penalty, and only THEN does he show #5 the caution and confirm the simulation call.

It was honestly executed very well. Excellent match management.

It was also potentially very wrong and this shows another real world issue with VAR protocols.

The simulation card is not supposed to be contingent on whether or not there was a penalty on a prior incident. Either way, the misconduct occurred. Either way, that yellow is supposed to be shown. But because the referee knew Qatar would lose its mind if he gave them a penalty but still booked their player, he waited. A fine management technique, but since we are dealing with the technicalities of VAR, which need to be applied across the board evenly, it’s a problem. Some referees might ignore a card after an incident that they know get overturned. Others wont’t. And that’s going to be inherently unfair especially when 2CTs come into play.

gaolin repped this.