Copa America 2016 on Fifa calendar!

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by 21st Century Pele, Sep 26, 2014.

1. 21st Century Pele

Apr 16, 2014
    Sunil Gulati tweeted this morning that the US hosted Copa America is on Fifa's calendar. This should be a spectacular event. Let's show the world what hosting a World Cup should look like!

Sunil Gulati @sunilgulati
    Thrilled that #fifa has added the 2016 Copa Centenario hosted by U.S. to the international calendar. Look forward to an amazing tournament.

doogiemo, cpwilson80, ImaPuppy and 5 others repped this.
  2. Bolivianfuego

Bolivianfuego Your favorite Bolivian

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Va
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    WOW! This is going to be awesome.

3. AutoPenalti

AutoPenalti Am I famous yet?

Sep 26, 2011
    Coconut Creek
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  4. HouseHead78

HouseHead78 Member+

Oct 17, 2006
    Austin, TX
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Huge news - this is going to be a helluva show!

5. John McGuirk

John McGuirk Member+

Jun 12, 2011
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  6. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    Dirt McGirt repped this.
  7. (TxT)

(TxT) Member+

Jun 9, 2004
    Tampa, FL
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, I have a feeling a lot of clubs aren't going to be happy about this.

Has Bruce Arena gave a statement yet?

8. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006
  9. John McGuirk

John McGuirk Member+

Jun 12, 2011
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #9 John McGuirk, Sep 26, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 26, 2014
    2013's Form 990 shows he spends an average of 5 hours per week with the USSF. This makes me think that part-timers, even the President, aren't required to report their compensation. All the full-timers, like Klinsmann, have their salaries listed.

10. Jazzy Altidore

Jazzy Altidore Member+

Sep 2, 2009
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    (1) How will the top 6 Concacaf teams get picked?

(2) Finally, USA will have a seed, so we should avoid Brazil and Argentina in our group. I imagine the second seed will go to a Concacaf team, either MExico ,or CR. Any confirmation?

11. Jazzy Altidore

Jazzy Altidore Member+

Sep 2, 2009
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    comoesa repped this.
  12. Nico Limmat

Nico Limmat Member+

Oct 24, 1999
    Dubai, UAE
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    Don't think Arena is the main issue here. Convincing Barcelona that Messi should play a third consecutive summer after Brazil 2014 and Chile 2015 will be the challenge for the organizers. In spite of the FIFA calendar addition. I've got the feeling we will be seeing negotiations on a case by case basis between participating associations and major European clubs.

13. 21st Century Pele

Apr 16, 2014
    USA and Mexico get seeds along with Brazil and Argentina. The remaining Concacaf teams are based on this year's Gold Cup finish. There was an article with the details a few months ago, but I can't find it now. Should be fun.

CTS26 and Marko72 repped this.
  14. FC Tallavana

FC Tallavana Member+

Jul 1, 2004
    La Quinta
    Got something interesting to offer Zelalem (providing he gets his passport) and the Parker brothers now.

ImaPuppy and Marko72 repped this.
  15. Jazzy Altidore

Jazzy Altidore Member+

Sep 2, 2009
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Costa Rica feeling shafted right now.

16. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Now if only Zelalem had anything whatsoever to offer we would be all set.

Jazzy Altidore repped this.
  17. SgtSchultz

SgtSchultz Member

Jul 11, 2001
    Parts Unknown
    Can't wait to see the cannibal Luis Suarez in the flesh. Hopefully he won't be too hungry for human flesh.

18. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

Sep 10, 1999
    He should change it up and go after fans instead of other players. Who knows, maybe they will taste better.

19. tab5g

tab5g Member+

May 17, 2002
    Maybe all the Conmebol nations should take B squads to Chile 2015.

MLS's schedule in summer 2016 will of course be an issue.

They had two-week breaks during the group stages of WC2010 and WC2014. Will be interesting to see what MLS does in 2016 while the US is hosting the Copa Centennial.

20. grandinquisitor28

Feb 11, 2002
    Nevada
    I wonder how much they care about the confed cup? Considering the historical performance of Conmebol sides at the Confed Cup, seems like they take it plenty serious, especially compared to UEFA.

Great news, of course, i have been tempering my enthusiasm for the past 5 months since it was announced (well, almost five months) because this detail would play a huge role in determining whether it was a faux copa like many of the Copa's a decade ago, or a real one. Now the sense i get is that at worst, it will be a very good one.

Curious what sites will host. I haven't seen the US play since the friendly against China at the Coliseum fourteen years ago, had a chance to watch the game against Armenia but passed. That game didnt excite me at all, plus it was going to be finals week for my students. Turned out to be a good call considering how wretched the game was.

Considering the difficulty of opponents, we may need a great draw just to make it to the semi-finals, may not even win our group, depending upon what unseeded World Cup qualifier out of Conmebol we draw: Ecuador or Uruguay good news, while Chile and Columbia=bad news.

21. Marko72

Marko72 Member+

Aug 30, 2005
    New York
    Fun, fun, fun times ahead. :D

I know that it's likely that a lot of CONMEBOL sides will bring mixed rosters, but this tournament is going to be good for us on a whole lot of levels.

22. Bluecat82

Bluecat82 Member+

Feb 24, 1999
    Minneapolis, MN
    Club:
    Minnesota United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My summer plans for 2016 just got interesting.

I think Costa Rica just qualified by virtue of their Centroamerica Cup win...

The Caribbean Cup winner qualifies...

...and the last two CONCACAF spots will be given to the two not-yet-qualified sides who finish highest at next year's Gold Cup.

tab5g repped this.
  23. Nico Limmat

Nico Limmat Member+

Oct 24, 1999
    Dubai, UAE
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    Why should Chile not get to host a proper Copa because of CONMEBOL's greed? It's their turn to host and they have waited to do so for a while. The right way of doing this would have been to decide this years in advance, not host a 2015 Copa and let Chile host 2019.

This is simply a huge mess.

tab5g repped this.
  24. tab5g

tab5g Member+

May 17, 2002
    Is it too late to delay the Chile hosting to 2019, and cancel the 2015 tournament?

Yes, greed regularly makes "huge messes." (Do you actually think the decision-making bodies and individuals involved could have done this "years in advance" and "the right way" -- per your preferences?)

25. tab5g

tab5g Member+

May 17, 2002
    Agreed.