Copa America 2011 [R]

Discussion in 'Brazil' started by Sharles, Nov 10, 2010.

1. Sharles

Sharles New Member

Feb 6, 2006
    ''my own world''
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Draw tomorrow 11 November.

2. Furnaccio

Furnaccio Member+

Feb 19, 2008
    New York, NY
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
  3. WilliamFAlmeida

WilliamFAlmeida New Member

Aug 2, 2006
    Im hoping we take our young squad and tear it up in argentina!! thos our young boys dont have enough to win imo

4. Sharles

Sharles New Member

Feb 6, 2006
    ''my own world''
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Group A
    Argentina
    Colombia
    Japan
    Bolivia

Group B
    Brazil
    Paraguay
    Ecuador
    Venezuela

Group C
    Uruguay
    Chile
    Mexico
    Peru

5. berloha

berloha Member

Nov 10, 2007
    Club:
    TSG 1899 Hoffenheim
    You got the death group.

6. Denilson70

Denilson70 Member

May 29, 2001
    England
    Too big a gap between the 1st and 2nd games me thinks

"In the draw held today at the Teatro Municipal in La Plata, Brazil formed the Group B with Paraguay, Ecuador and Argentina Copa America Venezuela 2011.

The Brazilian national team debut on July 3, in La Plata, against Venezuela.

The second game in Cordoba, is against Paraguay on July 9.

On July 13, still in Cordoba, Brazil faces Ecuador, ending participation in the first phase."

7. leonidas

leonidas Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    May 25, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    im not sure. i think uruguay's group is tougher, although i'd say it's really debatable. i'd put venezuela and peru at similar levels, with maybe a slight edge to venezuela.

the other thing to keep in mind is that ecuador and paraguay will not be playing in their home stadiums -- home stadiums have such a big advantage in south america.

8. Latin Pride

Latin Pride Member

Aug 1, 2004
    In your house
    Club:
    Olimpia Asuncion
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Your kidding right?

It's the easiest group.

9. old_carioca_in_nyc

Jan 26, 2007
    I am surprised that a tournament called "Copa America" does not include "United States of AMERICA", but does include Japan.... LOL

Who decides which countries play in this ???

Why not Panama, Guatemala, Haiti, Canada, Cuba etc????

10. canarinhoamazonense

canarinhoamazonense New Member

Aug 2, 2008
    O Paris dos Tropicos
    Club:
    Corinthians Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    I also heard that Brazil will have new uniforms for this competition. I heard that probably around January or February they will be released. Man they just got new unis I guess the CBF thinks that we have money to throw in the trash right?

11. Denilson70

Denilson70 Member

May 29, 2001
    England
    To be worn in February 2011 against France - France are changing to Nike btw.

12. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    We are supposed to have new uniforms every 2 years. This does seem a bit early.

13. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    I am not sure if you are kidding or not.

Anyways ... the main reason is that Copa America is organized by Conmebol. So we mainly have Conmebol teams in the competition.

Since it looks like they want to do 3 equal groups, Conmebol usually invites 2 teams from outside of the confederation. I think this started in the 90s. Typically it has been the US, Mexico, Japan. I remember Honduras being a part of it before.

I am not sure why they don't just do 2 groups of 5 and qualify the top 2 teams straight into the semi finals. But the norm in all competitions nowdays seems to be having groups with 4 teams.

14. old_carioca_in_nyc

Jan 26, 2007
    I was just thinking that a "regional" tournament should stay regional... mixing outsiders in makes it confusing... but that is how they decided to do this one...

15. Century's Best

Century's Best Member+

Jul 29, 2003
    USA
    We can, should, and I will now say we'll win this group.

16. Latin Pride

Latin Pride Member

Aug 1, 2004
    In your house
    Club:
    Olimpia Asuncion
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Brasil should win the group.

But you can't sleep on Paraguay tho, if there is one team in this group that can take it to Brasil, it's Paraguay (Remember 2004?)

17. Century's Best

Century's Best Member+

Jul 29, 2003
    USA
    Do you think Brazil won't take Paraguay seriously?

18. GiancarloC

GiancarloC Member

Sep 4, 2010
    LA, California
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    I think Brazil will take Paraguay very seriously.

Those guys made a very good run in the world cup, have quite a few players playing in top teams, and are quite a threat.

19. Latin Pride

Latin Pride Member

Aug 1, 2004
    In your house
    Club:
    Olimpia Asuncion
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I just don't want them to go in with the attitude that they will top the group as Brasil is always expected to.

Brasil always seem to lose one game in these group stages and if there is one game they would lose in this group it would be against Paraguay.

As an avid follower of both teams, I can say that both teams will take this very seriously and see each other as direct rivals.

In the end though hopefully without sounding too biased I think both will go through.

20. berloha

berloha Member

Nov 10, 2007
    Club:
    TSG 1899 Hoffenheim
    I think the Copa will be the right warning in the right time. Mano has nominated strange players so far and it will get better when he will call back the loosers of WC 2010. Did he want to take Douglas Costa and mixed it with the older Douglas ? Ronaldinho shouldn't be on the radar as much as Robinho. You don't win anything with these guys in modern football.

Mano looks like a puppet of the media. I can't wait the moment he will bring slow Kaka back in the game. :rolleyes:

Come on, Mano ! You don't call up 4 central midfielders and a half attacking midfielder for a match against Argentina.

This is what pissing me off, that there are so many hungry better players waiting.

I find this Brazil possibilities amazing, he could do so much more of it.

I'd say for next year:

G: Julio Cesar, (+2)

CB: Thiago Silva, David Luiz, Breno ( + 1)

RB: Alves, Maicon (+1)
    LB: Santos, Bastos, L. Gustavo

CM: Lucas, Ramires, Jucilei

AM: Coutinho, Bruno Cesar, Ganso (+2)

Attack: Neymar, Pato, Nilmar (+1)

Most of them are versatile players anyway who can help different positions.
    But that would be my choice so far. Of course there are many other options and other's who need to play a strong season but the potential is there (R.Augusto etc.)

21. Century's Best

Century's Best Member+

Jul 29, 2003
    USA
    Brazil did quite well with youngsters, outplaying your team. I think the team wasn't bad and (like yours) was undermanned due to injuries.

I think Brazil can and will do well next year. We'll see.

BTW I think you like Brazil more than Argentina. :D

22. WilliamFAlmeida

WilliamFAlmeida New Member

Aug 2, 2006
    Replace Jucilei with Elias, and take Bastos(I mean seriously..) out and take out Gustavo for Felipe also add Marcelo. Then replace Breno with our Capitão Eterno- Lucio- He's still got it in him..
    I agree with everything else