Copa America 2011 (R)

Discussion in 'Argentina: Selecciones Nacionales' started by leomessi1919, Oct 6, 2010.

1. leomessi1919

leomessi1919 New Member

Jun 18, 2008
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I know the tournament is going to be held from July 3-24 with only the Final being held in BsAs. I thought we could use this thread to update on the stadia and also the draw, updates, etc.

Also, for anyone interested in going. I know we have quite a few "ex-pats" who still have family/friends down there, so who is going to try and go? (although not the best time of year) It will be interesting to see where Argentina is drawn to play- most likely the biggest stadium such as the one in La Plata and Cordoba. I plan on going, but i won't be if Maradona comes back (unlikely he does, but just reaffirming my hatred for the guy)

2. Andrés_

Andrés_ Member

Nov 16, 2007
    Argentina.
    Club:
    CA Independiente
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Re: Copa America 11

I am not sure but i think locations are accomodated after the draw, like the opening match officially will be in La Plata, however i am not sure if it's official that Argentina will be taking part on said match or it'll depend on the draw.

3. NYC_COSMOS

NYC_COSMOS BigSoccer Supporter

Jan 13, 2007
    Queens, NY
    Club:
    CA Vélez Sársfield
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina

I plan on going. I want to take this in as much as I can. Althought I expect to see the Final at home.

4. atomicbloke

atomicbloke Member+

Dec 7, 2009
    Berkeley, CA
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors

How come La Bombonera is never used for these tournaments or for any Qualifier?

Very few stadiums in the world have the atmosphere of La Bombonera.

5. Andrés_

Andrés_ Member

Nov 16, 2007
    Argentina.
    Club:
    CA Independiente
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina

Why the hell would they use two stadiums in Buenos Aires? It's hosted by Argentina not by a single city...

If i recall correctly there's an issue with the stands being too steep for that kind of matches, though i heard that once and nobody ever addressed it. And the atmosphere, meh, we have discussed the issues of atmosphere on national team matches many times.

6. Albiceleste2010

Albiceleste2010 Member+

Watford
    Argentina
    Jun 5, 2010
    Watford
    Club:
    Watford FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina

I shall be watching here, staying up late. Probably on Sky Sports again.

1993 is such a distant memory. :(

I cannot wait to see the tickertape and parties across Argentina when Messi lifts the cup.

That's if we get the right coach and kick out the useless players who seem to think they will still be there in 2014.

7. NYC_COSMOS

NYC_COSMOS BigSoccer Supporter

Jan 13, 2007
    Queens, NY
    Club:
    CA Vélez Sársfield
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina

We aren't lifting any cups like playing and losing the way we did today!

8. Andrés_

Andrés_ Member

Nov 16, 2007
    Argentina.
    Club:
    CA Independiente
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina

We weren't going to if we play like we did against Spain...

9. cigar_city

cigar_city Member+

Jun 20, 2005
    Likely where I should NOT be...
    Club:
    Newell s Old Boys

Copa America is less tha a year away and there is no pub at all for the event. There isn't even a website or anything promoting the event.

It speaks volumes to the persons runnig the country as well as AFA that this has be the most poorly promoted big event in my recent memory ... and of course its being held in Argentina.

Siempre un kilombo ...

10. SupaMario

SupaMario Member+

Aug 31, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA Tigre
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina

Everything will be up and running by next month. We are about a month away from seeing what groups we are placed in. So no need to hit the panic button, I am sure we will make it an amazing event.

11. W.Lewin

W.Lewin Member

Aug 5, 2010

Found this on youtube. Argentina really played very well in that WC and should have won this game. And Riquelme at the center of it all. They had around 70% of posession in the 1st half.

Let's hope to see beautiful play like this at the CA!

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XllC-3LnMoM&p=610ACC81BCF36882&playnext=1&index=30"]YouTube - DOCUMENTARY Argentina - Germany PART 1, World Cup 2006, Chapter 5: the beauty fights[/ame]

12. msi2

msi2 Member

Aug 15, 2008
    Paris, FRANCE

Those shirts were definitely great too!

13. SupaMario

SupaMario Member+

Aug 31, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA Tigre
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina

I agree, the song got me a bit misty eyed, not because of the game(Somewhat passed that, well not really) but for Eva Perón. Lets go and win this for all of us Argentinos.

[​IMG]

14. Andrés_

Andrés_ Member

Nov 16, 2007
    Argentina.
    Club:
    CA Independiente
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina

Because it isn't such an important event to begin with... It's a reality, sure it may have been important for Venezuela, but for Argentina, it isn't. Throught the years in Argentina this tournament was always downgraded why should it be important at all, also all the blame to Argentina, and not to CONMEBOL? You're being a bit unfair.

15. cigar_city

cigar_city Member+

Jun 20, 2005
    Likely where I should NOT be...
    Club:
    Newell s Old Boys

Ok, let's see how unimportant you think the event is next year. i'm sure you'll provide the threads with tempered responses.

Not to take to pointed an issue with you, but if this tournament is so unimportant, why did argentina bother to bid to host the tournament?

Also, if the tournament is so unimportant to Argentina, wow have they essentially fielded 2 full strgth squads for the last to CAs?

Argentina hasn't hosted since 1987, some of the posters on here weren't even alive when Argentina last hosted, and surely few of us remember the last victory in '93.

I'm not being harsh, I just remembr the Venezuela promos being much more prevalent. That hosting CA was very VERY important to them still does not excuse the utter lack of promo by Argentina.

I guess CONMEBOL deserves blame as well for not pushing Argentina to better market this tourney, particulalry in light of the fact that many of the cities hosting events are NOT BA and NEED to be introduced to the public as quickly as possible.

16. Arg10

Arg10 Member

Sep 11, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina

I'll have to disagree with you on this and side with cigar_city.

If it wasn't important, why go all out in the previous two editions and call-up our "big guns" at the time? Maybe the media in Argentina isn't taking it seriously, but the team is. Point is it's 2010 and we haven't won anything in over 15 years and we're desperate. Not to mention that it's held in Argentina and we have to win it.

If we were Brazil, yeah, we can probably say it's not an important competition because just look at the last two teams they sent to it. Yet they still won it. I'm not saying they think it's useless, obviously not, but they probably don't take it as seriously as we do.

To say it doesn't get as much recognition (world wide) as the Euro competition, I'll agree with that because it really doesn't. But it's still a very important tournament and one we have to win. Especially considering the situation our team is in at the moment.

17. Andrés_

Andrés_ Member

Nov 16, 2007
    Argentina.
    Club:
    CA Independiente
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina

The hosting is based on alphabetic order, so we're first to host the thing, like at one point or another everybody will have to host it, what's the difference now or in 20-30 years? Also they bring "big guns" to. We win the thing and it still won't be a important either, less if it's at our own ground. We win the thing we still may fail miserably at the following World Cup, we don't win the thing and it doesn't mean we won't win it either. The media will just change sides accordingly, if we win it won't be a big thing, if we don't it'll be the most important tournament ever, like with the olympic games, before and after we won them for the first time, or with notable exceptions friendly matches.

18. Furnaccio

Furnaccio Member+

Feb 19, 2008
    New York, NY
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
  19. SupaMario

SupaMario Member+

Aug 31, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA Tigre
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina

That they are, gotta a feeling we will play Mexico in our group. Just saying. Plus there is a new rule to CA this year, no? About no more straight to PK'S, will have two 15 min's after 90min.

20. SupaMario

SupaMario Member+

Aug 31, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA Tigre
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
  21. RacingGirl

RacingGirl Moderator
    Staff Member

Jul 8, 2005
    SoCal
    Club:
    Racing Club de Avellaneda
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
  22. SupaMario

SupaMario Member+

Aug 31, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA Tigre
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina

No prob RG, you may like it, they are showing all the dances of the region, lol. It's more of a festival right now.

Did not die on me. :)

23. SupaMario

SupaMario Member+

Aug 31, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA Tigre
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina

We are Group A

Brazil B