Copa America 2007 draw

Discussion in 'Copa América Centenario 2016' started by pibe10, Aug 24, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MetroChile

MetroChile Member+

Jan 13, 2001
    NJ; Valpo.
    Club:
    Santiago Wanderers
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    One also has to consider that the US might have to split its team.
    They have to defend their GC title, so they can't just send "B" squad (they could probably get to the Semis of the GC with an MLS side, but after that they would run into Mexico, or CR if CR does well in the UNCAF, etc...) The point being that they can't send two full squads to both tourneys. And like Caturro said (and like I said before) we just beat Vza (they were only missing Arango) in Vza.

Metro

2. posteador

posteador Member+

Dec 29, 2006
    Lincoln, UK
    USA will probably take a B team or half of their A team so they should be beatable.

3. HeartandSoul

HeartandSoul Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 25, 2007
    The Garden State
    Club:
    CD Colo Colo
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    From what I recall, the last time Chile played USA in a Copa America was back in '95, and Chile lost 2 -1, I think eric Wynalda scored a pair. This was when Chile was being led by the Spaniard Azkagorta who helped Bolivia get to their first world cup in 1994., but failed with Chile, this was the guy who coached right before Nelson Acosta took the reigns with their 4-1 win over Ecuador in Santiago.

At this moment, game could go either way, and whichever group Chile is in, will be difficult regardless, South America has to probably be the most competitive region in the world, and thats not including both of the big futbol powers in Concacaf which Mexico and the US are.

4. Mosco

Mosco Member+

Dec 1, 2004
    Sun Valley, CA
    Yeah I think Chile this copa america will be stronger espeacially with plays like Suazo from colo colo and Matias fernandez you have to watch that guy.

5. Visca...

Visca... Member

Sep 13, 2004
    ATL
    Nat'l Team:
    Peru
    what time?
    http://www.peru.com/futbol/AutoNoticias/FutbolPortada/2007/02/10/DetalleNoticia85588.asp

6. Caturro

Caturro Member

Aug 3, 2004
    Chile
    Club:
    Santiago Wanderers
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    I really don't know how accurate that is. Every once in a while a gringo will come in saying that Chile and USA played circa 2001 but I honestly don't remember anything about a game in 2001. Supposedly we lost again, in Chile!

7. Panfilo

Panfilo Member+

May 9, 2003
    INLAND EMPIRE
    Club:
    Club América
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Has fox sports televised the draw?

Or is it already rigged that they don't want people to see how they come up with the groups?

8. Caturro

Caturro Member

Aug 3, 2004
    Chile
    Club:
    Santiago Wanderers
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    They always televise the draws in Fox, but since Copa America won't be broadcasted by them... who knows.

And yes, I positively believe the "draw" is rigged. :D That's how we roll in South America! :(

9. lfsr1544

lfsr1544 Member

May 9, 2001
    Glen Rock, NJ
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia

careful Caturro. Don't get all "Ecua" on me and think that Chile is ready to win the cup. No doubt Chile will be a contender but so will every other country. Sub-20 glory days are done (at least until summer) and that was indeed a good win in Venezuela but it means very little. Just like Colombia beating Chile 2-1 in your home soil meant very little. Jorge Luis Pinto (Colombian DT) has already held a press conference stating that he's coming to Copa America with his A squad. I gather many other NT would do the same, with the exception of maybe Brazil, but even then, the Brazil of TODAY IS changing. Roberto Carlos, Ronaldo, Cafu, Adriano...all these guys are no longer part of the process (maybe Adriano if he regains his form), so just because we don't see these stars in the next CA, we shouldn't assume that it's not Brazil's A team.

10. MetroChile

MetroChile Member+

Jan 13, 2001
    NJ; Valpo.
    Club:
    Santiago Wanderers
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    Who said we're ready to win the cup? :confused: :confused:
    That would be nice but this stemmed from someone proposing a group that we thought would be rather favorable/reasonable. Nothing more, nothing less.
    We have reason to feel optimistic, that's pretty much it (unlike in previous Copa Americas).

I don't know where the Brazil comment came from.

I, personally, don't think our U20 experience was much too sucessful (we had everything to go even farther, but we didn't) so I have no idea what you mean by "sub20 glory days". I don't know how much other Chileans agree, but I thought it was mostly a failure (happy about going to the U20WC, upset because we could've qualified to the Olympics).

Metro

11. lfsr1544

lfsr1544 Member

May 9, 2001
    Glen Rock, NJ
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia

the Brazil comment refers to folks not thinkong that teams are taking this CA serious enough. they are. That being said, Chile has a lot to prove in official results, in order to please their hinchada and in order to make their presence known to others. This draw is all specualtion at this point, but I take no one lightly. Even when i imply I'd love to have Bolivia and Peru in my group, I'm still aware that other then Braz/Arg, there are no clear favorites.

12. HeartandSoul

HeartandSoul Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 25, 2007
    The Garden State
    Club:
    CD Colo Colo
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    Caturro, I hope you aren't referring to me as a "Gringo", and if you are talking about accuracy, do a quick google check and check out past scores, Copa America 1995 held in Uruguay, Chile lost to the US 2 - 1, the last copa america USA had attented. That game had double significance for me, but I accurately remember the whole tournament, how Argentina was robbed by brazil in the 2nd round, To Uruguay taking the whole tournament in penalties over Brazil.

13. Visca...

Visca... Member

Sep 13, 2004
    ATL
    Nat'l Team:
    Peru
    They showed the draw LIVE online for Peru 2004.

14. Caturro

Caturro Member

Aug 3, 2004
    Chile
    Club:
    Santiago Wanderers
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    How in the world would you get something like that in my comment? :eek:

All I said is that, in my opinion, Venezuela should be an opponent we can defeat as displayed in the friedly we just played days ago. I also said that I'm pretty confident Chile can win against the USA judged by what I've seen from the gringos. Again, quote me when I said Chile could win the whole thing?

None of the things I just said are farfetched.

I know for a fact this will be a very competitve Copa America and I believe Chile has a strong enough team to fight for something just like Colombia, Uruguay, Paraguay...

15. Caturro

Caturro Member

Aug 3, 2004
    Chile
    Club:
    Santiago Wanderers
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    Not at all man, I'm talking about the Americans we get every once in a while saying that supposedly Chile and the US played relatively recently (perhaps 2001) in Chile and the USA came out victorious. For some reason I've never heard of such game so I'm a bit suspicious as far as accuracy is concerned. I totally the 1995 game and know for a fact that it indeed happened.

Sorry if I confused you, I never questioned what you said in your previous post. :eek:

16. MetroChile

MetroChile Member+

Jan 13, 2001
    NJ; Valpo.
    Club:
    Santiago Wanderers
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    We played in La Serena vs the US in '00, and lost 2-1 I think (Riveros scored our goal). I saw it on PPV.
    We also lost in Boca Raton, Fla. in '99 to the US (I remember this one clearly, as well because it happened right before we moved to the States).
    And as everyone else mentioned we lost to the States in the '95 Copa America.

Metro

17. Caturro

Caturro Member

Aug 3, 2004
    Chile
    Club:
    Santiago Wanderers
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    So there were two games that we lost? Goodness gracious. No wonder their self esteem is so high.

18. MetroChile

MetroChile Member+

Jan 13, 2001
    NJ; Valpo.
    Club:
    Santiago Wanderers
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    Copa America '95.
    Friendly, Boca Raton, Fl. '99.
    Friendly, La Serena, Chile, early '00.

Metro

19. Caturro

Caturro Member

Aug 3, 2004
    Chile
    Club:
    Santiago Wanderers
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    Yes, but I was referring to the two games in '00 and '01... those are fairly recent. I knew about the one in 1995.

20. Flyin Ryan

Flyin Ryan Member

May 13, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Our games against Chile since 1990

April 30, 1994 - Albuquerque, New Mexico - USA 0:2 Chile
    July 8, 1995 - Paysandu, Uruguay (Copa America) - USA 2:1 Chile
    February 21, 1999 - Fort Lauderdale, Florida - USA 2:1 Chile
    January 29, 2000 - Coquimbo, Chile - Chile 1:2 USA

21. MetroChile

MetroChile Member+

Jan 13, 2001
    NJ; Valpo.
    Club:
    Santiago Wanderers
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    We had already established this, but thanks, anyway. ;)

Metro

22. LOS_DE_ABAJO

LOS_DE_ABAJO New Member

Jan 7, 2007
    If they do, I'm cheering for the hosts. I think they'll make sure it doesn't happen though.

By the way, I'm kinda forgetting the score of the 3rd place game in the 2000 Olympics. Could someone refresh my memory, lol.

23. MetroChile

MetroChile Member+

Jan 13, 2001
    NJ; Valpo.
    Club:
    Santiago Wanderers
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    LOL :D

Metro

24. El_Bulla

El_Bulla Member