Copa America 2007 draw

Discussion in 'Copa América Centenario 2016' started by pibe10, Aug 24, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. italchacao

italchacao New Member

Mar 18, 2002
    Austin TX
  2. JAIME CHILE

JAIME CHILE Member+

Apr 26, 2006
    V.Alemana y Stgo
    Club:
    Cobreloa Calama
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    I prefer Trinidad y Tobago instead Costa Rica, Honduras, Panamá.

The guys made an acceptable World Cup, they deserve participate in our Copa América.

Also, maybe a lot of trinitenses would travel to Venezuela, isn't far.

3. Caturro

Caturro Member

Aug 3, 2004
    Chile
    Club:
    Santiago Wanderers
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    I'd invite Panama. They've had good results against South American sides... they are no pushovers. I think they would bring more to the cup than a stripped down American side.

4. sidspaceman

sidspaceman Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 20, 2002
    AMÉRICA DE CALI
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
  5. Edgar

Edgar Member

Will it be an open draw or will the teams be seeded using some criteria?

6. Visca...

Visca... Member

Sep 13, 2004
    ATL
    Nat'l Team:
    Peru
    Brazil, Argentina and Venezuela get top seed. They'll be head of groups A, B, and C.

The rest of the teams will go into a complete open draw, although sometimes teams will already be placed in a group due to geographical location.

7. Edgar

Edgar Member

Brazil and Argentina as winner and runner-up and Venezuela as host? Are you sure it works that way?
    In 2004, it should have been Peru (host), Colombia (winner) and Mexico (runner-up). Peru and Colombia were in the same group. It doesn't add up. :confused:
    Or are Brazil and Argentina always among the seeds?

8. Visca...

Visca... Member

Sep 13, 2004
    ATL
    Nat'l Team:
    Peru
    Exactly. Brazil and Argentina are always top seeds by being the powerhouses of SA and the host gets the third seed, this time being Venezuela.

9. Edgar

Edgar Member

Thank you! ;)

10. sidspaceman

sidspaceman Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 20, 2002
    AMÉRICA DE CALI
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Don't forget that somehow the host always got Venezuela in it's group.

11. Visca...

Visca... Member

Sep 13, 2004
    ATL
    Nat'l Team:
    Peru
    yeah seems like they make it easier for the hosts. The geographical thing also influences.

12. sidspaceman

sidspaceman Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 20, 2002
    AMÉRICA DE CALI
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    10 to 1 Bolivia is going to be Venezuelas group.

13. jamison

jamison Member

Sep 25, 2000
    NYC
    So the question is does the US get into a Brazil/Argentina group, or do Conmebol think us minnows and set up the death match by putting the US in a group with Venezuela? It would actually be funny to have the US play Venezuela in night game on opening matchday, though, I think us gringos would be fooked for tickets.

14. sidspaceman

sidspaceman Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 20, 2002
    AMÉRICA DE CALI
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Well the US worked out a deal that they would get to play at least 5 days after the Gold Cup final so I don't think they will playing in the opening game.

15. BorrachoNJ

BorrachoNJ New Member

Apr 8, 2001
    NEW BRUNSWICK, NJ
    usa-venezuela

that would be a great 2nd round of a match...

i'd think both would be equally capable of advancing, although venezuela also has the home advantage.

can't wait for the tourney.

16. puromorelia

puromorelia Member

Mar 1, 2005
    L.@. california
    Anyone here from Venezuela? what do you feel the attendance or importance to this tournament will be given by the people IN venezuela during the cup?

I thought did they a great job with the Peru one as far as upgrading the stands and remodeling the facilities and the turf in many of the fields. Even though their biggest stadium could not be used because of an internal conflict it was not bad at all. I think some of the upgrading had to do with the U-17 WC match also being held there few months down the road but I thought the attendance could have been better.

And even during the final there was a full crowd but they didnt seem too much into the games. Its almost like it lacked excitement.

What can we look forward to in venezuela>???

17. Sergio Aguero

Sergio Aguero New Member

Oct 8, 2006
    For some reason Argentina is always in the group of death:( and Brazil gets an easy group :rolleyes: . hopefully this time it will change.

18. shinzui

shinzui New Member

Dec 2, 2005
    Gulf Shores
    I also want odds on the USA and Mexico being in the same group.

19. Visca...

Visca... Member

Sep 13, 2004
    ATL
    Nat'l Team:
    Peru
    That'd be something.

20. elvasco

elvasco 100% Americanista

Sep 10, 2006
    So the US is gonna end up in group C with either brazil or argentina.....

Imagine that, Argentina or brazil plus mexico and the US and lets say Paraguay on the same group, that would actually be good for conmebol, since may be this way one of the 2(mex and US) may be knocked-out in the groups, that way conmebol wont have to make their cheating(to eliminate out of the competition) so evident agains either mex or the US.....:)

21. Jabinho

Jabinho New Member

May 29, 2004
    What about Mexico? Aren't they doing the Gold Cup this time? No deal for them too?

22. ROMERO879

ROMERO879 Member

Apr 28, 2005
    Club:
    Sporting Cristal Lima
    Nat'l Team:
    Peru
    They didnt qualify. :D

23. Visca...

Visca... Member

Sep 13, 2004
    ATL
    Nat'l Team:
    Peru
    Copa America is Mexico's priority no?

Are they even participating in the Gold Cup? Maybe send youngsters?

24. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think Mexico and the United States should be in separate groups. If it was my choice I might make Mexico, the United States, and a CONMEBOL country as 2 seeds in addition to Brazil, Argentina, and Venezuela as 1 seeds. I might make it similar to how CONCACAF has done the draw for the semifinal round of WCQs. In the CONCACAF semifinal draw there are three groups of four like in Copa America, and each group got one team that was in the Top 3 of the previous Hexagonal and made the World Cup, one team that is in the Bottom 3 of the previous Hexagonal and did not make the World Cup (Trinidad and Tobago who finished fourth and qualified for World Cup 2006 would be an exception if CONCACAF uses the same format for 2010 WCQs), and two teams who either were eliminated in the semifinals or did not make the semifinals in the previous cycle. This assumes that the six nations who make the Hexagonal one cycle at least make the semifinals the next cycle.
    I'm interested in seeing how the United States will do playing in South America against countries other than Brazil and Argentina.

25. Jabinho

Jabinho New Member

May 29, 2004
    Well Concacaf's website has them as automatic qualifiers for the Gold Cup along with the USA and Canada and says nothing about them withdrawing..
    So my question still stands, I guess.. What if by some strange fate, they make the Gold Cup final.. ? They would need a deal like the USA got also unless they want a chance of starting the Copa America two days later..
    Then again, perhaps they are sending a lot of kids to the Gold Cup..