Pre-match: Copa América de 2019, Final - Brasil x Peru, 7 de Julho de 2019

Discussion in 'Brazil' started by Century's Best, Jul 3, 2019.

1. Ombak

Ombak Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Apr 19, 1999
    Irvine, CA
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    We won, but seriously, we really need to do some work on the psychological strength of our teams. It's been an issue since Dunga made everyone think that it was them vs. the world and everyone was out to get Brazil.

I want to forgive Gabriel Jesus for his display after getting sent off but I can't put it all down to his age and (lack of) experience. Some of it is the overall mentality we still need to fix.

celito and omajac repped this.
  2. samuel_clemens

Dec 20, 2005
    Los Angeles CA
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    there's Copa America again in 2020?? lol what a mess this federation is.

3. StrokingMonkeys

Oct 4, 2009
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    What a stressful win!! But a win nonetheless! Congrats to the boys and us fans! ;-)

4. Ombak

Ombak Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Apr 19, 1999
    Irvine, CA
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Yeah. It's a FIFA decision to make CONMEBOL line up with the Euros. But I will believe CONMEBOL is willing to do that when 2024 comes around... 2020 is just an opportunity for them to make more money.

5. 954gator

954gator Member

Jun 16, 2016
    Congratulations to Brazil. I'm a big fan of Peru, but we just can't matchup well with you guys right now. Felt really bad for Jesus when he was sent off. He has played great. Him and Everton are so damn hard to slow down.
    Anyways, no doubt the best team this Copa is BRAZIL.
    [​IMG]
    I

6. Redshift

Redshift Member+

Dec 14, 2004
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Corinthians Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Happy for the title of course, but this sequence of games also showed that there's plenty to fix in midfield.

7. Ombak

Ombak Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Apr 19, 1999
    Irvine, CA
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Despite the red card I'd still gave GJ Man of the Match. The official MotM was Casemiro though. Definitely had a good game, but I think he only got it cause the leading candidate got a red card.

8. omajac

omajac Member+

Feb 9, 2002
    East Orange, New Jersey, USA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Yep in Argentina and Colombia!!

9. omajac

omajac Member+

Feb 9, 2002
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    And won it WITHOUT Neymar

10. samuel_clemens

Dec 20, 2005
    Los Angeles CA
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    So Euro and Copa during the same month and the possibility of overlapping with the summer Olympics down the line. I have no idea what these people are thinking.

11. Kaka10725

Kaka10725 Member+

Jun 1, 2007
    I already can see this nonsense headline in the media.

12. Century's Best

Century's Best Member+

Jul 29, 2003
    USA
    I didn't agree with the PK given to Peru much less with Gabriel Jesus' red card. However, the team showed toughness and resolve by persisting rather than being shaken, as Gabriel Jesus scored right after Guerrero's PK goal.

The 3rd goal, off a PK (which was so evident VAR wasn't even needed), showed that Tite has infused a fighting mentality into this squad.

There was certainly a lot of psychological and emotional weight during this campaign. The cold reception at Morumbi for the debut, Neymar's drama and cut from the roster, the 0-0 vs Venezuela and Paraguay, all the nonsense said by would-be pundits about Argentina. Indeed, CONMEBOL and the "black hand" have all conspired for Brazil to the extent Brazil was reduced to 10 men at home.

For Tite, who is rumored to be leaving (I want him to stay), this result gives him the most political capital since 2018 WCQ ended. The fact Brazil won the tournament unbeaten and with only 1 goal conceded (again, off a bogus PK) and that Brazil was the most consistent team overall, with the most consistent and solid defense and excellent offensive plays (even if some were lampejos) puts him in a safe place for the next steps, which will be a few FIFA friendlies in the second half of 2019 and the first two matches of 2022 WCQ (March 23-31, 2020).

Time to start renewing gradually. Dani Alves was outstanding, but will he be a feasible option for 2022? How will Neymar be reintegrated into the squad?

The best moment for Brazil since the end of 2018 WCQ. But there's a lot more work to do; thankfully, we fans can look towards the near future with a realistically optimistic outlook.

MerlinRM and samuel_clemens repped this.
  13. Estuardo A. Lopez

Jul 9, 2014
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Brazil clearly the best team of the tournament and the best in all South America.
    You can go even further and say that it's true that many South American teams will need to do some rebuilding but that Brazil has the better quality bench and some teams, like Argentina and Uruguay, have players on the wrong side of 30 and the replacements are not as good.
    Also, Brazil are clearly the best side in South America.

Brasitusa repped this.
  14. Brasitusa

Brasitusa Member+

AC Milan
    Italy
    May 14, 2014
    Club:
    New York City FC
    Very true. Still, this idiotic sore loser called Lionel Messi who never amounted to anything with the senior Argentine MNT, used his influence to make the world believe that the tournament was fixed for Brazil, despite Brazil being clearly the best team of the tournament and the well-deserved champions, and despite Brazil having had a number of unfair refereeing decisions going against them.

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/messi-copa-america-corrupt-fixed-135846374.html

I'm really irritated with Messi for this. Maybe now some of his apologists (some of whom were active in this very thread) will understand how nasty their idol is, and how he is not as good a footballer as people believe. Like I've said for ever and ever, he is nothing but an excellent club player when the system favors him and his excellent Barcelona teammates do everything to help him. Out there with Argentina when *he* is in charge of elevating their play, he is an utter and complete failure, and a sulky brat who can't deal with defeat without throwing a tantrum and accusing others.

15. Mengão86

Mengão86 Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Brazil
    Nov 16, 2005
    Maryland, RJ/ES/PE
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
  16. Kaka10725

Kaka10725 Member+

Jun 1, 2007
    Nice way for the likes of Miranda, Thiago Silva, Daniel Alves, Filipe Luis to get a trophy. After this though, they should be fazed out.

MerlinRM and Ombak repped this.
  17. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    What are you trying to say about Fernandinho ? :ROFLMAO:

18. IVO !

IVO ! Member

Feb 25, 2009
    RIO AND CHICAGO
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Reminds of 2014 when TS sat his ass on the ground and cried after our quarter final PK win over Chile. I knew it was over then.

omajac repped this.
  19. IVO !

IVO ! Member

Feb 25, 2009
    RIO AND CHICAGO
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    GJ MOM, but let me tell you, Cebolinha was absolutely incredible. His dribbling skills coupled to his blasting speed are second only to Neymar. I can’t wait to see both of them together. And you can be sure that Cebolinha’s price tag just went up about 10 Million euros.

20. IVO !

IVO ! Member

Feb 25, 2009
    RIO AND CHICAGO
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    CBF confirmed Tite’s permanência before the final.

21. omajac

omajac Member+

Feb 9, 2002
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    What's nonsense about it?o_O

22. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Meu coração partiu.

23. omajac

omajac Member+

Feb 9, 2002
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Well remember FIFA put 3 Finals (Women's WC, Copa America, Gold Cup) on the SAME DAY!!:rolleyes:

samuel_clemens repped this.
  24. Mengão86

Mengão86 Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Brazil
    Nov 16, 2005
    Maryland, RJ/ES/PE
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    People are really forcing the idea that our PK was not legit. It was not a simple case of shoulder to shoulder contact. It was clear use of excessive force. Zambrano throws his body weight into Everton to take him out of the play. Zambrano did not win a shoulder-to-shoulder dispute to shield the ball away from Everton. He was not going to get across Everton in time to shield the ball so he threw himself into Everton to take him out.

25. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Expected win. Nice first goal. Was impressed by Jesus move on the wing on that play. Early goal always helps.

Thought TS PK was the right call by the book although clearly unfortunate. You can't slide without stretching your arm like that.

2nd goal nice move from Arthur and good finish from Jesus. Happy he came around as the WC was tough for him. Poor Mauro Cezar after SF was saying ... but how many chances did he have ? 10 ? Dude really dislikes anything Palmeiras.

Jesus red card, at first I didn't think it was fair, I mean he didn't raise an elbow or anything and has a right to challenge for the ball in the air. But I guess it was a bit careless the way he went for the ball which he probably clearly wan't going to get. Him crying afterwards was definitely a bit much. But we've always seen reports in the past of players saying they cried their eyes out in the locker after something like that. In this case we just got to see it because the camera caught it. I don't think it's a good ideal to show that shit.

The 3rd goal PK ... for me it's a PK because the player comes across just to shoulder charge Everton and no intention of getting the ball. But I've seen it not given before on the premises of shoulder to shoulder. Stupid move by the Peruvian because GK had the ball covered. Peru wasn't tying the game anyways.