Pre-match: Copa América 2024 - USA vs Panama - Thurs June 27 6PM EST Atlanta GA

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by dark knight, Jun 24, 2024.

1. dark knight

dark knight Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    Game 2 - let’s win and rotate.

2. rgli13

rgli13 Member+

Mar 23, 2005
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    _______turner______
    ___richards_miles___
    scally__________jedi
    ______cardoso_____
    __musah_mckennie_
    puli____________haji
    _______balo_______

if ream is the guy then rotate him here, and i see this as a good chance to sit reyna as well.

i think this midfield 3 would play the same as we did last night- as 3 two way players. i keep balo (not like starting pepi is an option anyways) to hopefully build on yesterdays performance, with the puli/haji set getting a good run.

i would only use adams for a 10-20 minute stretch at the end to keep the blood flowing (if that), and if he can a quick runout for sarge would be nice- his first action being in a qf would be pretty stupid.

i think the approach/ideal way this plays out is the same- get a goal or two on the board in the first half and manage from there. tillman for wes (or puli) would be good in that ideally more open setting, just to get some sense if hes going to be able to help us or not. but wes, puli and jedi are the big "sub as soon as reasonable" guys here (unless wes gets another yellow, obviously let him finish in that case).

we know panama and they know us. this could be a lot tougher than bolivia, though, depending on how they want to play us- cause we are going to do what we do. if we have the same defensive/possession performance we did yesterday it could get sticky, cause if panama commit to pressing and coming at us they can be a lot more effective than bolivia was.

the two (shoulda/coulda/woulda been 4 or 5) goals papered over a performance i didnt think was a lot better than we saw against colombia, bolivia just didnt have the quality to punish us in any way. the brazil match did a world of good for turners head (well, as much as i know whats in his head anyways), and he ticks closer and closer to form with every match but the two long shots didnt have a lot behind them and both were into mattys body. im no body language or goalkeeping expert, but they both felt like more of a relief than grabbing them, bouncing up and taking an aggressive throw to go right back at them.

and that ball can get cycled right back to him within two passes for all i care (well, i care very much but priorities)- we need him confident confident if we are gonna do anything we want to do. "im just going to do the best i can and hopefully we get a good result" isnt going to cut it.

at some point our vibe has to be "lets kick somebodys ass".

but i dont need to see anything special overall, i just want cleaner and more confident. to use greggs words we got the result (and im pretty-very confident we will again), i just want a little better performance behind it. just take a good step forward.

cause the performance is going matter a whole freaking lot after this one.

TimB4Last repped this.
  3. Sebsasour

Sebsasour Member+

New Mexico United
    May 26, 2012
    Albuquerque NM
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Worth noting Panama's best player is their Right Back Michael Murillo, who will be on Pulisic for most of the night. So that'll be a best vs best matchup.

I don't think Murillo will keep Pulisic in his pocket or anything, but we still may need to find something centrally or from The Weah/Scally part of the field.

Excited though, Panama technically could play for a draw, but I think they'll play us a little more open than you'd expect them to if this was a World Cup qualifier, or Gold Cup knockout game

nfiniti, Marko72, largegarlic and 2 others repped this.
  4. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

Club: Venezia F.C.
    May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Rotate to a lineup that can spot the middle , absolutely dominate with no Godoy

5. Bob Morocco

Bob Morocco Member+

Aug 11, 2003
    Billings, MT
    Because of the longer layoff after the last group stage match, rotation is easier. I would like to get Jedi, Pulisic, Tim, and Joe some rest if we are leading comfortably. We can start them all in the next three games with few concerns, especially if they don’t always have to go 90. I would hope we can get Haji and Malik some time.

kennytt, RossD, Mr Martin and 3 others repped this.
  6. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I will tank a match if it means we dont play Colombian the next round. Not pertinent this coming game but just watching them, if we are primed fir first place and second place isn’t in danger, I happily trot out the backups vs Uruguay and do t think twice (assuming Colombia finishes first)l and we beat Panama)

7. dark knight

Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    I don’t understand how James has flamed out with so many clubs and is such a superstar for his country.

nobody, eliwood, Bajoro and 4 others repped this.
  8. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    im firmly a believer the poor bastard is just a poor fit fir his clubs. Dude is skilled AF. If I’m MLS I break that piggy bank

nobody, kennytt, RossD and 2 others repped this.
  9. gogorath

gogorath Member+

None
    United States
    May 12, 2019
    As Matt Doyle has said repeatedly, pre-Messi, Inter Miami's first DP should have been James Rodriguez.

largegarlic, Zinkoff, Ghost and 2 others repped this.
  10. gomichigan24

gomichigan24 Member+

Jul 15, 2002
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Some guys are just different players when they put on the national team shirt. See Shaqiri with Switzerland also.

And some players are just not as good for country as they are with club.

TrueCrew and theboogeyman repped this.
  11. Elninho

Elninho Member+

Sacramento Republic FC
    United States
    Oct 30, 2000
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So... at this point it looks like we need to play to win the group in order to avoid Colombia.

Mr Martin and Winoman repped this.
  12. dark knight

Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    Not as good is one thing - washing out at Everton Saudi Arabia and Greece is another kettle of wax.

gomichigan24 repped this.
  13. Rahbiefowlah

Rahbiefowlah Member+

Oct 22, 2001
    Las Vegas
    Whether we get Brazil or Colombia in Vegas or Phoenix, it’s going to be a tall task. We have to beat Panama. This is the actual match that could get Gregg fired.

LiverpoolFanatic repped this.
  14. jond

jond Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Levski Sofia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Loser mentality.

Terrible message to send to try to throw a game because you’re scared of the next opponent.

goussoccer, RossD, Excellency and 6 others repped this.
  15. theboogeyman

theboogeyman Member+

Jun 21, 2010
    Your post kind of touched on this, but I think it’s less about love of country, and more about the international game being different. Some guys seem to do better in international soccer, while others seem to do worse.

Messi’s style of not really playing defense works in the international game somehow in a way that it didn’t in the higher levels of the European game. He was still very good in his psg and later Barca years, but I think there’s a reason that those teams were not as successful in champions league as his earlier Barcelona teams were.

I think there is something similar with James. I’m not nearly knowledgeable enough about the sport to really break it down, but I think there are clear differences in the level of chemistry and intricacy of play between international and club soccer. While the level is lower in international soccer in that regard, James also has the ability to pick out and deliver the right pass, and that unique ability makes up for the lack of chemistry (both in attack and defense) making it a valuable weapon.

kennytt and gomichigan24 repped this.
  16. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Panama played pretty well against Uruguay.
    We cannot take this game for granted and suggest we should "rotate the squad."
    We've seen that result against Panama in the past.

A draw would be a disaster in this game.
    Cuz Panama can beat Bolivia by more than we did. Particularly if they know they need to.

I would consider an adjustment at the #9 spot. I'd consider swapping in Johnny for Adams depending on Tyler's physical condition. Otherwise, I'm rolling with our "Best XI."

Yes, I'm risking a 2nd yellow for McKennie. I'd rather he get that yellow in this game than the Uruguay game (and thus be suspended for the quarterfinal).

Beat Panama, regardless of the score. Panama is usually a tough game. One we should win, but a tough game.
    Win................then worry about rotation against Uruguay.

I get it. We're playing in Copa America to get experience against teams like Uruguay with our "A" team. But this is tournament management.

17. TrueCrew

TrueCrew Member+

Dec 22, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Rotation for rotation's sake is idiotic. You do that in match 3 after you have advancement in the bag, if at all. Panama is more athletic than Bolivia, so maybe Musah or Miles get more minutes.

Miles for Richards is the only change I'd think about making. If the plan for Adams is to rest him here, then fine.

I thought Balogun was poor, but with the goal I give him another run.

------------------Turner--------------
    Scally---Miles---Ream---Jedi
    -------------------Adams-------------
    --------McKennie------Reyna-------
    Weah--------Balogun------Pulisic

Mr Martin, dark knight and ifsteve repped this.
  18. ifsteve

ifsteve Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Jul 7, 2013
    MS and ID
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I watched both the Colombia and Brazil matches. Everybody saying now we want to avoid Colombia. Paraguay game Colombia a pretty decent match especially in the 2nd half. I am still of the mindset that beating Panama is paramount. Then rotate against Uruguay so we have a fully fresh side in the first knockout match.

yankthisyank'swank repped this.
  19. Eleven Bravo

Eleven Bravo Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 3, 2004
    SC
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    To rotate or not rotate is the question. The benefits of rotation is rested legs, the downside is the chance of dropping points, but mainly, it disturbs team chemistry.

At this point in my life, I’ll argue in favor of some rotation on the backline, since these dudes have played 3 games together straight.

GK Turner
    RB Moore
    CB Carter-Vickers
    CB Miles
    LB Jedi (Lund) 70
    MF Musah
    MF Adams (Cardoso) 46
    RM Aaronson
    AM Reyna (Tillman) 60
    LM Pulisic (Wright) 70
    FW Balogun (Pepi) 60

Rested: Scally, McKennie, Weah, Ream, Richards

20. ifsteve

ifsteve Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Jul 7, 2013
    MS and ID
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Way too much rotation for me in these circumstances. Go beat Panama cleanly then rotate along these lines for Uruguay. Only change I'd make to the starting XI from Bolivia is Miles for Richards. Get ahead multiple goals and sub early and fully the second half.

And frankly I'd leave McKennie out there for the simple reason that if he were to get a second yellow I'd WAY rather it be in this match than the Uruguay match. Rest McKennie against Uruguay so you know he'll be available for the knockout.

21. deejay

deejay Member+

Feb 14, 2000
    Tarpon Springs, FL
    Club:
    Jorge Wilstermann
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Take care of sealing the next round appearance with only normal rotations. That is all.

22. Eleven Bravo

Eleven Bravo Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 3, 2004
    SC
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It’s a difficult question. By all means, we should beat Panama with the team I listed. Meanwhile, we will need to be at our best to get points off of Uruguay.

23. rgli13

rgli13 Member+

Mar 23, 2005
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    all that "theres no first 11, its 14 or 15 guys" talk goes right out the window, huh?

and suddenly panama isnt an easy 3 points.

i guess learning lessons isnt everyones bag :laugh:

24. ifsteve

ifsteve Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Jul 7, 2013
    MS and ID
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree but much depends on what Uruguay does. I suspect that they will rotate a lot against us for the same reasons I'am suggesting for the US. Fresher legs in their knockout match.

But in any event Wes plays against Panama and then doesn't against Uruguay. Then his card is of no concern. If he gets one against Panama doesn't matter since I am not playing him against Uruguay anyway.

TrueCrew and Eleven Bravo repped this.
  25. rgli13

rgli13 Member+

Mar 23, 2005
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    normal for what? 2 or 3 changes is just squad management (not even counting adams/sarge in our case).

to put it as simply as possible, if we cant do that without the level of the team dropping precipitously we arent beating anyone good anyways. we are just gonna look even worse when we crash out.